Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LASteve

Quote from: AdrianC on January 07, 2021, 02:44:21 PM
Restricted width in the tunnels I would guess, that's why the Hastings line always had narrow bodied stock (e.g. Hastings DEMUs and 33/2s in BR era), and I would guess that as that is a Mk1 Horsebox, it would be standard width for Mk1 vehicles. When the line was electrified, the track was singled through the offending tunnels to allow normal width stock.
The Hastings Line did for BRCW - retooling to build 12 CL33/2 "Slim Jim"s put them under financial strain and eventually contributed to the bankruptcy of the company.

BramptonBranch

Quote from: emjaybee on February 02, 2021, 11:06:27 PM
It's 'sort' of a new purchase. I bought a Duchess of Hamilton from @dannyboy of this forum some months back and had it sent directly to @Ozymandias of this parish. It was BR green originally, but, c'mon, who wants a Duchess in BR green!

Ozy never fails to impress. It's the first time he's done a Duchess in LMS lined black. It's awesome. Thanks Ozy!

He does a nice warship you know............... :sorrysign:
You can never have to many Warships!

AndyRA

A Farish 47, and a seven hour conversion.

From this

To this

If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

emjaybee

Quote from: BramptonBranch on March 04, 2021, 06:09:14 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on February 02, 2021, 11:06:27 PM
It's 'sort' of a new purchase. I bought a Duchess of Hamilton from @dannyboy of this forum some months back and had it sent directly to @Ozymandias of this parish. It was BR green originally, but, c'mon, who wants a Duchess in BR green!

Ozy never fails to impress. It's the first time he's done a Duchess in LMS lined black. It's awesome. Thanks Ozy!

He does a nice warship you know............... :sorrysign:

I know, I've seen them.  [I just don't get them ???]
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

lil chris

This is a model I bought today, new nothing about them till about 5 mins ago. A Shark in BR Black, it is a special comissioned by Kernow Model Railway Centre. It is a nice model if a bit expensive. I also bought a Peco brake van at the same time that is in the picture. The shark comes with alternative ploughs for running without couplings if required.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: lil chris on March 04, 2021, 10:50:17 PM
This is a model I bought today, new nothing about them till about 5 mins ago. A Shark in BR Black, it is a special comissioned by Kernow Model Railway Centre.

@lil chris Can I ask what is different about the Kernow one, Chris? I got mine from Rails of Sheffield.

Yet_Another

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 05, 2021, 09:54:38 AM

@lil chris Can I ask what is different about the Kernow one, Chris? I got mine from Rails of Sheffield.
If you look at the back of the Shark box, you'll see the Kernow mention. Looks like they own the ex-DJ assets & Bachmann are acting as distributors, via the EFE brand.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

DarrwestLU6

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on March 04, 2021, 04:10:07 PM
Ihad a job fitting the headcodes they are waterslide transfers and are printed a bit too big so you have to trim them on all sides to keep them a central as you can ,I got a bit stressed doing them and used a few unrepeatable words .
I allso fitted the etched name and number plates butthey were not to bad as you just cover the printed ones ,Why Dapol dont fit them I dont know it would bebeasy for them as they could have a template .
Idid respray one into Chromatic Blue my self but I gave it to a mate and I cant remember what the paint mix was ,I did the Dessert sand one and the Golden Ochre one myself allso the Golden Ochre and Chromatic Blue 31s .
Bob Tidbury

That's a nice new toy Bob!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

talisman56

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on March 04, 2021, 04:10:07 PM
Why Dapol dont fit them I dont know it would bebeasy for them as they could have a template .

Bob Tidbury

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Don't fit them, people complain that they don't fit them.

Do fit them, people complain that the headcodes are wrong for them...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Ali Smith

These arrived from Shapeways on Friday. On the right is Maridurian's pair of prestwins (does that make it one presquad?); left and centre are two generic six-wheeled coaches, one with a brake compartment, from Newman Miniatures.

Others have written here about the prestwins and I have nothing to add to that, but I was interested to see what the coaches were like as I have long had a desire to build a modest Edwardian layout.
Apart from quality, my concerns were firstly, would it be possible to get the wheels in without snapping off the axle guards and secondly; what radius would they go round?
The print quality is probably as good as it gets from Shapeways using this material and they include partitions and seats. A slightly odd feature is that the waist panels and those above the windows have radiused corners whereas those between the windows and the lower ones do not. The ends are a bit odd too, appearing to have been made from planks like a lineside hut rather than panelled.
The wheels (Graham Farish wagon wheels fit and give the correct ride height) will go in without causing damage but I filed a notch to help them in. I fitted buffers and couplings and gave them a run behind an engine on our existing layout. They negotiated 348mm radius curves and were propelled through a Kato scissors crossover without difficulty. Later I tried 282mm radius curves (just hand powered on the bench) but that was a bit too tight. They ran well over a crossover made from Peco Streamline small (12"/304mm) radius points (hand powered again). That's good enough for me.

As you can see they need springs and axleboxes which the 2mm Association can supply, footboards and  a coat of paint. I've chosen to go with LSWR but have discovered there is a controversy as to what colour the upper panels were. The accepted wisdom is "salmon pink" but C Hamilton Ellis described it as "orange-yellow" which doesn't seem like the same thing to me. More reading and thinking is required here. I'm also awaiting delivery of Volume 1 of G. Waddell's book on LSWR coaches which may provide more (or less!) clarity. The main thing for now, however, is to design the layout.

JonMann

I was looking at these and the four wheeled variant over the weekend. May have to hit the order button now.

Train Waiting

Congratulations @Ali Smith .  These carriages look wonderful.  CHE is one of my favourite railway authors and he wrote a fair bit about LSWR carriage livery.  Here he is in The Trains We Loved, '... passenger carriages, dark brown below waist with upper panels and mouldings in "salmon", a sort of brownish-pink that grew browner with age...'.

And here he is in The South-Western Railway, '... the upper panels of South Western carriages are not really salmon-colour.  They are a beautiful light golden brown, like the cliffs at Bournemouth, picked out on the mouldings with red and black.  Before varnishing, indeed, they certainly show a pinkish tinge, and with age and weathering they will tend to pinken again, but that is the nearest approach to real "salmon".'

Even a CHE enthusiast like me can see that he is a tad contradictory.  He certainly had personal experience of the LSWR.  However, he was born in 1909, so, by the time even his artistic eye could appreciate such things, the Great War was underway and that caused changes to maintenance.

And, of course, paints then were mixed on site and colours varied (just think of Caledonian blue!) even before exposure to light and weather.  My last car was a red one that slowly turned pink, so even modern paint is affected by light and weather.

Finally, there is the whole notion of 'scale colour' and layout lighting to make things even harder.

Perhaps the answer is to paint the dark brown and then experiment with a sort of golden/pink colour until it looks right.  What you don't want, I think, is to be too brown or it might start looking like the L&Y carriage livery memorably described as "two shades of ...", I'll leave it there.

I very much look forward to seeing progress.

With best wishes

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Ali Smith

Thank you for your remarks; I will take up your suggestion of experimenting with what Mr. Panter, the C & W Superintendent, unhelpfully referred to as "top colour" . Presumably he couldn't think of a word for it either!

N_GaugeModeller

My lockdown spending spree, which like Lockdown must come to an end soon  8)

All bought in the last 12 months

Farish STD Class 3MT
Farish STD Class 4MT
Farish STD Class 5MT
Farish C Class
Farish 8F
Farish Ivatt 2MT
Farish Coronation
Farish Class 08
Farish Class 14
Farish Class 31
Farish Class 37
Farish Class 55
Farish Class 108

EFE Class 17

Dapol 9F
Dapol Class 22
Dapol Class 26
Dapol Class 33
Dapol Class 52
Dapol Class 121 Power & Dummy
Dapol Class 43 HST & Full rake of coaches

Now I have seen the list I really must stop, good job there is nothing new arriving this year  8)

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations