Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Quote from: paulprice on October 04, 2015, 01:59:14 PM
You need more  :claphappy:
I'd love one of these or these  :D

But seriously, if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to go all post-grouping/pre-nationalization, I'd be mainly LMS with the odd lashing of chocolate and cream.

zwilnik

Just picked up a brand new in box, full Brighton Belle set in BR Blue/Grey for £100 in a collectibles shop in Margate :) Better check it works :)

Yup it runs :)

Luke Piewalker

Courtesy of the eBay, finally an Intercity 87. Had a broken coupling, and the bogie retaining clips pins have sheared, but the bodywork is good so no big issues. Borrowed a couple of bogie retaining clips off a 90 and she seems to run fine  :D

NeMo

Quote from: railsquid on October 04, 2015, 01:36:01 PM
A warship has just docked in Japan:

and is providing company for its slightly older cousin from Germany (lurking in the background).

Snap! Started off with a V200 before buying a couple Farish 'Warships'. Definitely fun to "compare and contrast" the German original with the British remake... the more so when you read up on how successful and influential the German diesel was.

I'm told that an early 'Warship' had the V sketched onto its snout with some chalks, and some thought was given to providing the British diesel with a similar livery to its German predecessor. Anyone know the veracity of that story?

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

scotsoft

Quote from: railsquid on October 04, 2015, 01:36:01 PM
A warship has just docked in Japan:

and is providing company for its slightly older cousin from Germany (lurking in the background).

Every time I see a picture of a warship, I keep seeing droopy the cartoon dog   :sorrysign:

[smg id=30142 type=preview align=center caption=""]

Cheers John.

Sprintex

:laughabovepost:

Brilliant John, it's been bugging me for ages what that sad-looking loco reminded me of :D

Paul

Les1952

A Bitza made up from parts of three Dapol NQPs bought last week.

£35 spent on the bulk of this- a shop return marked "poor traction".  Putting it on test it walked off with the seven coach rake sitting on the layout but had an interesting grinding noise coming from the gear train.  Removing the body I lubricated the gear train, and put a little oil on the motor bearing for luck.  That had mostly quietended it.  The second NQP was a Flying Fox bought for £25 with a broken rod on one side  This has donated its body (banjo and blinks replacing round dome and no blinks.).  The tender top came from the third NQP, a Bittern with badly smashed up valve gear on one side.  I could have used the tender top from NQP 1 but that would have meant recresting it.

So here we have Spearmint, 60100.  Not a North East loco, though I have a pic of it in this condition travelling South at Northallerton.  Suitable for Croft Spa when it gets built even if not entirely right for Hawthorn Dene.

Meanwhile NQP2 is running quite satisfactorily with part of its valve gear missing, so it will be chipped and will become Captain Cuttle as running in 1960-61, ie with double chimney, round dome, GN tender and no blinkers.  Not an issue so long as it works the clockwise circuit keeping the missing bit out of sight of the viewer.

One WD has to work clockwise only, and an 8F-based O1 2-8-0 has to work anticlockwise, both for the same reason.  These are both Farish.  Similarly on Furtwangen Ost an Arnold 4-6-4T and a Minitrix Glaskastern have missing valve gear parts on one side, so broken valve gear affects all makes.

Les
This weekend I'll try to get pics of two other additions to stock.

railsquid

Not sure whether to put this in the British, European or Japanese sections ;)

Seem to be a lot of the original Kato Eurostars going cheap at the moment now Kato has announced a new run, but can't see what's wrong with this one. Apart from half the couplings being broken (which is why eagle-eyed observers may notice the first two coaches being in the wrong order) but replacements seem readily available.

Railwaygun

EUROSTAR couplers - replacements seem readily available.

Not on this side of the pond!! ( £10 on Evilbay) unless  anyone has a source??

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

railsquid

Quote from: Railwaygun on October 10, 2015, 11:26:09 AM

Right, time to buy up all the ones I can get my hands on for ca.  £2, that's  £8.99 to you incl. p&p  8)

But yeah, nasty easily-breakable things they look...

Dr Al

Quote from: Les1952 on October 08, 2015, 01:38:58 AM
Meanwhile NQP2 is running quite satisfactorily with part of its valve gear missing,

Can you not fit valve gear from the A4 to this - all the same components?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Luke Piewalker

Quote from: railsquid on October 10, 2015, 11:37:29 AM
Quote from: Railwaygun on October 10, 2015, 11:26:09 AM

Right, time to buy up all the ones I can get my hands on for ca.  £2, that's  £8.99 to you incl. p&p  8)

But yeah, nasty easily-breakable things they look...

I couldn't find any anywhere! The hope was that with the new production they would produce new spares, as I'd like a few for peace of mind...

gc4946

Today I attended the Sheffield model rail show and came back with these goodies:

Farish (UK) rebuilt Battle of Britain 34089 602 Squadron (used) and their new version Mk1 CK in green with 1st class yellow branding.

34089 lasted until the end of Southern Region steam in July 1967.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

johnlambert

When I saw this Peco Collett 0-6-0 in my local shop for £75 it seemed too good to miss.

It wasn't perfect; the wheels were filthy (took me six cotton buds to clean) and the front coupling has been glued to the body (no good for tender first running on my layout).  I'm not sure about the finish and weathering but the real coal on the tender is a nice touch.  It does run well enough.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations