Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveg

mickster04

Added all the little black bits
[smg id=29630 type=preview align=center caption="container lifter 1"][smg id=29631 type=preview align=center caption="container lifter 2"]

Luke Piewalker

so I went to c&m Models in Carlisle and espied a Tornado in Doncaster Green, a blue 45 and a blue 46 in the second hand cabinet. Having said to myself having been behind Tornado on the Border Railway if could find one in the appropriate livery... Pictures to follow when I'm back to my proper computer.

Paul B

At last I have had a chance to sit down and take some pics of my latest purchases - so here goes!

on Saturday 13th September I was at the Steam Museum here in Swindon for the aptly named Swindon Railway Festival. Swindon Model Railway Club was running a club N gauge layout, Mattley, although, as the show was mainly Western region, and I run LNER, I wasn't required to help out. I had agreed to collect a baseboard kit that was being made for me (more of later and elsewhere!) so I decided to spend some time looking there -and, as I had a bit of money, I wanted to have a shop too! I didn't actually spend much there though, as I wanted to save money for the Sunday at TINGS, but did get a book on Polish loco's (in German!) and the trucks below -

Sunday at TINGS, I was after a Farish new 08, so I can use the chassis for my Parkwood Models body kit to produce an LNER J45 diesel shunter - found this one, split from a set and brand new, for £60 - the cheapest I had seen one! The Parkwood Models body is next to it, and shouldn't be too difficult a job to get them together. The livery isn't too bad too - all over black!

Also at TINGS I was looking at the new Farish A2's - most of them were priced at around the £139 mark, but one stall had this for £127, so I had to take it home!

I have tested both the A2 and the 08 on the club layout last week, and they both seem to be running fine!

Finally, I noticed that the Dapol stand was selling LNER teak coaches for £20 each or 3 for £50. I was after another buffet and a couple of 1st's. The guy behind the stall said 'sorry - sold out of buffet coaches.' when I enquired. I looked on the bottom shelf behind him and asked what the coach marked 'LNER buffet' were then? He had to crouch down and pick one out before saying that they were, in fact, exactly what I wanted! (And I though I had bad eyesight!  :goggleeyes:) So I paid my £50 and got one buffet and two 1st's!

These will be a good addition to my LNER coach rakes, as I can now run three 7 coach trains (or 2 much longer rakes!)

As well as the above I got some continental buildings and a few 2nd hand continental coaches - but I haven't been able to photograph those yet - so more later!
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

Newportnobby

I hope you've booked your wallet into a health spa after all that spending :goggleeyes:

Paul B

Quote from: newportnobby on September 23, 2015, 03:54:48 PM
I hope you've booked your wallet into a health spa after all that spending :goggleeyes:

Not quite - this arrived today -

I do like the Great Eastern region of the LNER, and for Union Mills to bring out a D16/3 was just one loco that I had to buy! I think that it looks like one of their best looking loco's too! I haven't had a chance to test-run this one yet - but knowing Colin Heard's reputation I should have no problems with it.  :thumbsup:

port perran

Thar UM model looks great Paul.
I have 2 UMs and a third on order - you'll not be disappointed.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Paul B

This is my third Union Mills loco too - I have a B12 and a J39, both in LNER black!

Dr Al

Quote from: Roy L S on September 13, 2015, 06:48:49 PM
I can find nothing physically wrong and it runs perfectly. Cost me £65. List (when released) £139.95...
[smg id=29146]

Does this one have nameplate boards fitted, even though 61045 was an unnamed B1? If so maybe that's the reason.....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

railsquid

Some Mk2a coaches have made it across the oceans to Japan:

Kris

No pictures as they are all still boxed, but I finally got my hands on most of the Blood and Custard Hawksworths I had ordered. Only 3 more that are on order, to take the total to 16.

Roy L S

Quote from: Dr Al on September 24, 2015, 12:28:58 AM
Quote from: Roy L S on September 13, 2015, 06:48:49 PM
I can find nothing physically wrong and it runs perfectly. Cost me £65. List (when released) £139.95...
[smg id=29146]

Does this one have nameplate boards fitted, even though 61045 was an unnamed B1? If so maybe that's the reason.....

Cheers,
Alan

Hi Alan

Checked it and yep you're spot on.

Hard to spot unless you look closely but that does explain things. Easy enough to ping off with a sharp scalpel (Which I have done for two renumbered "Oliver Burys" one became 61400 the other 61244 "Strang Steel").

Still a bargain!

Regards

Roy

Dr Al

Quote from: Roy L S on September 24, 2015, 07:49:17 PM
Still a bargain!

Absolutely - this must be the reason that it was in the bargain bin. Just need to fill the holes once the plates are pinged off and it'll be sorted.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Les1952

When you make up your mind what the next layout will be that does impact your buying.  Having now gone for a real location on the East Coast Main Line itself at a point where much of the slow freight has turned off I'm now upgrading my Pacific fleet again.  No intention yet of adding any more A1s, though I will at some time, and in a hiatus before I can get hold of the nameplates to get appropriate A2s I've gone for adding to the four BR-liveried A4s and eight BR-liveried A3s that are the current backbone of my exhibition fleet.

A4 Golden Eagle- a "Bittern" purchased second hand from Hattons.  This may have been a mistake as it needed a trip to DCC Supplies for rectification.  On return it has done its running-in and is now 60023.  It will have the cab roof paint sorted , coal added to the tender and then be weathered to full grey grot as befits a real Gateshead engine.  I'm not sure whether to lamp it for express or fast freight.

[smg id=29679]

A3 Firdaussi.  A "Gladiateur" purchased new via eBay.  Run-in with no problems.  Firdaussi had a new-type tender and a round dome for a time in 1959-60 before gaining blinkers and an A4 boiler.  I'm one of those who thinks an A3 looks naked without blinkers.  Why not keep it as Gladiateur?  I already have one, but mine has a banjo dome and blinkers, the real one was just like the Dapol model and modified later.  My Gladiateur started off as a Scotsman purchased secondhand from Dr Al.

A4 Sir Ralph Wedgewood.  Another "Bittern", this time purchased new from Plus Daughters.  No issues running in and now renumbered 60006.  The first 6 has split and has had to be re-done since the photo.   This is a Kings Cross loco which will work fitted goods on Hawthorn Dene, then on Croft Spa it will power the up fast fish train.

A3 Dick Turpin.  Another secondhand purchase- this time a Flying Fox.   Another local hero which in time will get a light weathering as befits an engine from Nevile Hill or Heaton rather than Gateshead.  Another loco which could be express or fitted goods.  More likely the latter, allowing an A2 to be used on express. Trainspotters Barry and John are pleased to tick off another namer......

Les

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations