BR Mk1 Short rakes

Started by DJFisher, December 24, 2013, 10:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJFisher

I'm just wondering if anyone could help me with identifying a short rake of BR Blue/grey Mk1's say 5-6 coaches long that I would be able to recreate using stock readily available :)

DCCDave

Quote from: DJFisher on December 24, 2013, 10:53:05 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone could help me with identifying a short rake of BR Blue/grey Mk1's say 5-6 coaches long that I would be able to recreate using stock readily available :)

Depends where and when you are modelling.

As an example I'm =putting together the following for the Waverley route  in early 1960s (in my case all Maroons, but would have been blue/grey later in the 60s):

BG, CK, SK, SK, SK, BSK

Cheers
Dave

d-a-n

Second class mk1s (open or corridor) seem to be rare, and they seem to be the ones you need most of the time for prototypical rakes!

DJFisher

do you know of any kits or simple convertions I could use ?

DCCDave

Quote from: d-a-n on December 24, 2013, 11:21:33 PM
Second class mk1s (open or corridor) seem to be rare, and they seem to be the ones you need most of the time for prototypical rakes!

True. You'd think the manufacturers would realise that and make more seconds, and more brake seconds too. Apparently the new Bulleids are already sold out of brake seconds in some stores.

New Farish weathered Maroon SKs(374-061C) and BSKs (374-187C) are on the way.

Cheers
Dave

DCCDave

Quote from: DJFisher on December 24, 2013, 11:26:54 PM

A real simple conversion (though the purists will howl) is just to rub the 1 of the doors of FKs, CKs, BFKs and BCKs

Cheers
Dave

DJFisher

Works for me so what would you suggest for a simple 5 car rake ?

EtchedPixels

Other choice if modelling kings cross suburban services is the mark 1 suburbans in 5 or 6 coach set with a 31.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

red_death

West Highland or Kyle line Mk1 sets would be a good start. They ran very short rakes in winter (sometimes as short as one coach, though more normally 2-3 IIRC) with  more coaches to strengthen the sets in summer.

Cheers, Mike

DJFisher

Quote from: EtchedPixels on December 25, 2013, 12:11:52 AM
Other choice if modelling kings cross suburban services is the mark 1 suburbans in 5 or 6 coach set with a 31.

would this only be prototypical for kings cross ?

dodger

The formation Hereford portion of the through train from Paddington leaving Worcester was TSO-BSK-CK during the 60's and 70's.

Dodger

Michael Hendle

Hi
I've seen this formation in a photograph of the West Highland Departing Glasgow Queen Street Cl 37 SK,SK,BG SK BCK,when the train arrived at Fort William the BCK and SK  set were uncoupled and went forward to Oban.
Mike

Deltic9001

Hi,

Dundee-Glasgow services were usually 5 coach sets (BSK (often a Mk.2) + 4*TSO or SK Mk1s) and were hauled by over the years by classes 24, 25, 26, 27, 37, 40, 47. Dundee-Edinburgh services were usually 4 coaches often a complete rake of Mk.2s and were usually hauled by class 27s but classes 25, 26, 40 and 47s were also regular performers.

One of the Glasgow services was used for a works test and meant the train was double headed with the usual work-stained engine plus one pristine engine.

Best Regards,
Andy Hoskins
Falkirk
Best Regards,
Andy

d-a-n

Quote from: DCCDave on December 24, 2013, 11:39:38 PM
Quote from: DJFisher on December 24, 2013, 11:26:54 PM

A real simple conversion (though the purists will howl) is just to rub the 1 of the doors of FKs, CKs, BFKs and BCKs

Cheers
Dave

You'd need to ditch the yellow stripe as well off the first class carriages to make them second class.  :)

I think the important thing to remember wth any British coach formation is that they were a bit hit and miss with what they were made up with! As far as I know, a train must have a brake (for the guard) and will usually have a bit of first class for all the posh folks. A single BCK (brake, composite, corridor) fulfils this need alone. You could do what I've done and recreate a short rake (in this instance) pulled by a class 25 I've seen in a book which is CK (corridor composite, half 1st, half 2nd class) SK (second corridor), SO (second open) and a BSK (brake second corridor) - a good ratio of 1st class to everything else.
You've not said whereabouts your layout is based, if it's London based, you'd usually have a bit more 1st class stuff rolling out (more rich fellas) but then again, the rakes would be longer.
So, I've been drinking and rambling a bit. Let's skip to the end.

A rake of CK, SO, SO (or SK) and BSK would be a fine and prototypical-ish scaled down rake for most regions outside of London.

Merry Christmas!

DCCDave

Quote from: d-a-n on December 25, 2013, 07:42:48 PM
You'd need to ditch the yellow stripe as well off the first class carriages to make them second class.  :)

If they have them. Just looking through my assortment of Stanniers, Gresleys and Mk1s and non of the first class do!

Cheers
Dave

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations