Sod’s Virus? - a novel way to reward careful isolation

Started by daffy, April 11, 2021, 12:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

Big day today. A PET scan this afternoon is the best chance they have of finding what ails my good lady.
She is now very tired and 9 weeks of illness have taken their toll, so much so that she is unsteady on her feet and generally weak. That second arrhythmia episode has now led them to put her on beta blockers and anti-coagulants as the ECG they did shows she has atrial fibrillation. Whether that will clear once they resolve her overall problem is of course unknown.

Fingers well and truly crossed for a meaningful outcome, and not one where the Docs are back to more head scratching.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Wot David said.
Atrial fibrillation can easily be treated with a couple of pills (in my case aspirin and a statin since 1993). The one the medics don't like is ventricular fibrillation.

daffy

Thanks guys, and funny you mentioned the Afib/Vfib difference Mick as I was just this minute reading about that!  :)

Mammogram done, off to Lincoln in ten minutes - hopefully! - and some good news after a chat with an Admin lady: they are almost ready to start structured visiting! :claphappy:  Looks like that could start as early as next week. 😃Not that I want her to still be in hospital just so I can visit, you understand.🤪
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

guest311

about half an hour ago the telephone rang, and it was a very nice lady from admissions at Guy's.

short story is self isolate from the 4th May, on the 8th a courier will arrive with a couple of swab tests, wait, and take them away.
SWMBO will be admitted on the 11th, have a few tests done, then surgery on the 12th.

everything explained, and a letter to follow.

so, hopefully by 19th, a quieter SWMBO should be home  :thumbsup:

really can't believe she's got a date so quickly.

is there a score of 11 out of 10  :hmmm:

AlexanderJesse

I guess the isolation phase will be lighter to bear with fixed dates and some hope...
I wish you both the strength and the luck to aid in success and a sound recovery.
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Remember: vapour is just water and therefor clean

daffy

Agreed, Having such an early date set and with a definite timetabled plan is fantastic. Great news.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

guest311

thank you all for your comments.

so, @daffy is there any equally positive news on your good lady ?

daffy

Thanks for asking Alan.  :thumbsup:
Too early for results from the PET scan which might be today or tomorrow or.... 🤔 but the mammogram was clear, as was already suspected from earlier examinations and tests, but relieving  all the same.

Good news is that she slept well and felt bright and breezy this morning, relatively speaking, with all obs 'perfect'.👍
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daffy

We have an answer, though the scan results still need full evaluation for definition and certainty.
It seems she has arterial vasculitis of some form, the condition probably in its infancy and is apparently limited to her chest area. She has been immediately put on an aggressive course of steroids in the hope of stopping it in its tracks or at least bringing it under control.
She will now be put under the care of a  vascular team who will confirm full diagnosis, future tests and treatment and prognosis. This will all be done in clinics and outpatients as, subject to how this night goes and side effects of steroids, she will be coming home today!

One of the causes of vasculitis is an allergic reaction to drugs like the ones she has been on, though it's known to be most common in 70 to 80 year old white caucasian women. However, defining the true a cause is next to impossible. In Sheila's case the things that led the Docs to actively look for it in her scan was the double vision she has developed in the last weeks, as well as an eye condition she had had sorted out a few years backs, a right eye infarction, or bleed on the retina. Apparently that is a classic sign of someone who may be vulnerable to vasculitis. According to one of the Doctors, they had discussed matters prior to the PET Scan and in light of the failure to find anything thus far despite loads of tests etc, they felt the scan would probably show either vasculitis or carcinoma. :o

So now we live in hope that in her case this infant vasculitis can be hammered into submission and life will return to normal - bar regular check-ups, scans and some form of drug maintenance program.

Fingers still firmly crossed, but today is a good day. She's coming home! :claphappy:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

guest311

Great news @daffy  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

it looks as thought the doc's 5% was a good guess, at least in part.

it will be great for her to get home and sleep in her own bed ......

just don't forget to wake her up to take her sleeping pills  :smiley-laughing:

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

dannyboy

That sounds like good news Mike. Hopefully your good lady responds well and things do get back to some sort of normal. :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daffy

Thanks everybody :thumbsup:

My biggest worry now is that she may ask me to get her a.....

Bell!  :uneasy:

:D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations