Sod’s Virus? - a novel way to reward careful isolation

Started by daffy, April 11, 2021, 12:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

Thanks George. :thumbsup:
One thing I'm always thankful for is the fact that the much maligned NHS (if we ignore the current fervour of support over the Covid situation that will probably see a return of complaints once the virus begins to fade from the front pages of the press) is free at the point of use for all. In that it is second to none, and I for one am ever grateful for that, having had a life dominated by ill health.

Hoping today for better news, as the Docs seem to be heading towards a plan whereby Sheila gets to go home, at least for a few days. It will all depend on today's blood test results, and one of the things they are now checking is for TB. As X-rays and CT-Scans have already been done and seemingly showed no signs, we are hoping that isn't what she has.

Hope is what keeps us going. That and spring-cleaning the house for her return, attending to the garden, working on the shed conversion into a summer house she has always wanted, and even doing the ironing! Got to keep busy.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on April 13, 2021, 05:03:29 AM

At least you guys won't get a bill for $72,000 dollars!

I note you haven't said that equates to 3s 6d in our money, George :D

Bealman

Watch it. I bought a Triang Eastern guard's van for exactly the same price  :P

chrism

Quote from: Bealman on April 13, 2021, 10:34:54 AM

For $72,000? I hope it was goldplate rather than tinplate  :smiley-laughing:

dannyboy

Quote from: chrism on April 13, 2021, 10:46:13 AM

It was obviously listed on eBay as 'Rare'.  ;D
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daffy

Quote from: dannyboy on April 13, 2021, 10:50:10 AM
Quote from: chrism on April 13, 2021, 10:46:13 AM

It was obviously listed on eBay as 'Rare'.  ;D

And if it was only gold plated , you woz robbed! ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

guest311

well, we've had the dreaded telephone consult, and it is good news and bad.

there is no sign of any cancer other than in the lung,
but it is 96% certain that it is lung cancer.

CT biopsy is not being considered, and SWMBO is being referred to Guys Hospital in London with a view to having surgery rather than radio therapy in Brighton, 6 weeks of daily visits  !

next step is most likely a telephone consult with Guys.

not as bad as it could be, thank goodness.

now I just need to convince SWMBO of that.

Railwaygun

Very sorry to hear the news - no spread is good, and supports the surgical approach.

you can always stock up on goodies at the Borough Market - nearby - to take with the fruit!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

daffy

Alan, good to know (if good can ever be the right word in this situation) that your wife's cancer has been determined not to have spread beyond her lungs and is operable. Sounds like a pretty firm treatment plan is to be followed, so my best wishes to you both for the coming weeks.

Docs are still struggling to pin down Sheila's infection. Yesterday was humble pie day (not a tribute to Jerry Rafferty and Billy Connolly) as her infection count proved to be at its highest level so she's back on antibiotics. Stronger ones by drip cannula rather than syringe injection, that make her very tired.
Today's fun activity for her will be a Bone Marrow Biopsy, which she was advised not to Google on account of all the tales of fear that, in most cases, prove over-exaggerated. I guess her platelet count must be off kilter or something and a BMB is a good course of action when trying to pin down an infection of unknown origin. All the other possible results of a BMB I will ignore as being pointless to worry about before it is done.
So fingers crossed it isn't too painful for her and a hope for a diagnosis and clear way ahead.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

dannyboy

Quote from: class37025 on April 13, 2021, 03:09:02 PM

there is no sign of any cancer other than in the lung,

not as bad as it could be, thank goodness.

As you say Alan, not as bad as it could have been and at least it appears to be confined to the lung. Being the eternal optimist that I am, there is a 4% chance it is not cancer.  :thumbsup:. Whatever the result, I wish you both well.
David.

dannyboy

Quote from: daffy on April 14, 2021, 06:13:30 AM
All the other possible results of a BMB I will ignore as being pointless to worry about before it is done.

I do so agree with that way of thinking Mike. Why worry about what might or might not be? Worrying will not affect the result of any investigations, but may cause other problems. Once the results are to hand, that is the time to think about what might be.

Quote from: daffy on April 14, 2021, 06:13:30 AM
So fingers crossed it isn't too painful for her and a hope for a diagnosis and clear way ahead.

As I put in my previous post to Alan, I wish you both well.  :thumbsup:
David.

daffy

The Bone Marrow Biopsy procedure took 15 minutes and was entirely painless and no trouble at all, if a little "weird", as she described it. The guy even took a bit of bone for testing "while we're there". Only discomfort has been some bruising pain once the local wore off. Results won't be for 7 to 10 days.

More blood tests today, looking for anything and everything now, Latest mentioned condition is Brucellosis, deemed as unlikely but some symptoms match so.......  Again that will take 7 to 10 days to check. At least determined as not TB, but nothing else either found or ruled out yet.

Needs to stay on I.V. antibiotics for some days yet, closely monitored as condition up and down like a yo-yo. Not looking good for a chance to come home for a good while yet, so more fun days and nights in what she calls the "madhouse".😳

I think we might have to cancel Christmas.😉😄
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daffy

The sun rises on Sheila's 11th day in hospital and still the quacks have no idea what is infecting her.😟
They've even checked for Leishmaniasis, though results for that, like all the other things they're testing for, will be a week away.
Fingers crossed this week will see a positive development, and maybe a return home - if only to have to keep visiting the hospital for drug top ups and stuff until she is well again.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations