Dapol reliability

Started by Tony, April 26, 2011, 02:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

High fellow n-gaugers,

I am in the process of planning a layout and purchasing rolling stock etc in preparation. Approx one year ago I purchased a Dapol 9f but have only recently attached it to recently purchased rolling stock. Unfortunately the wheels have a tendency to spin on curves (medium radius) and the bogeys lift off the track on curves whilst travelling slowly. I have written to Dapol on two occasions asking for assistance to remedy the problem but I haven't received a reply which is extremely disappointing. It was my intention to purchased the new 'Robin Hood' Britannia class locomotive but am very reluctant to do so given the lack of customer service. Has anyone else experienced similar problems and has anyone any pertinent comments re the Britannia: am I worrying unnecessarily about purchasing it ?

Many thanks
Tony

1whitemoor

Tony, the general consensus is that there are reliability issues with some examples of all models produced.

Dapol seem to be the flavor of the month when it comes to "bashing" them in terms of reliability at the moment

I know many people who have collectively over 50 dapol locomotive models, and I think one of them had some issues with running.

So far I have not heard anything negative about the Brit, and the few I have seen run excellently. The model has a motor located in the tender, running through to the driving wheels via a driveshaft in the cab.

The first batch of 9F models do appear to differ in quality. The main advice is to moderately oil the locomotive and run it for a few hours in each direction (as the erratic running if often due to packing grease in the motor area), and on some examples the pony trucks do lift on points and curves. The pickups were also inadequate. I am reliably told that subsequent batches of 9f are vastly superior and Dapol have eliminated all the problems of the first batch.

of course no manufacturer can "guarantee" a problem free locomotive straight from the box, owing to the small tolerances and tiny motion of N scale.

And remember, bad press of models on internet forums from a few individuals (perhaps with an axe to grind one suspects) do NOT reflect the marketplaces. For every complaint, there is countless models in perfect order, which after running in, ran perfectly and will continue to do so for years.
If a problem IS widespread, then manufacturers DO identify them to the public and offer replacement parts or refund i.e. Heljan Clayton, Ixion Manor, Hornby 31 chassis

Hope this helps
Paul

H

There is a 'known' problem with early 9Fs and this was rectified by a redesign of the front bogie for later batches by the fitting of a spring. See here; http://www.dapol.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=296&Itemid=97

I understand that the 'new' bogie spring is available free of charge from Dapol for retro fitting to resolve any derailment issues caused by the bogie. You need to contact them; try 'phoning rather than emailing which can easily end up going astray, deleted or diverted in to spam boxes.

Also, dont forget, that although the 9F will only really work best on 'larger' radius bends, it probably needs oiling before use and running in before it will operate at it's peak perforance. Read and follow the instructions.

H.

OwL

Quote from: Tony on April 26, 2011, 02:58:14 PM
High fellow n-gaugers,

I am in the process of planning a layout and purchasing rolling stock etc in preparation. Approx one year ago I purchased a Dapol 9f but have only recently attached it to recently purchased rolling stock. Unfortunately the wheels have a tendency to spin on curves (medium radius) and the bogeys lift off the track on curves whilst travelling slowly. I have written to Dapol on two occasions asking for assistance to remedy the problem but I haven't received a reply which is extremely disappointing. It was my intention to purchased the new 'Robin Hood' Britannia class locomotive but am very reluctant to do so given the lack of customer service. Has anyone else experienced similar problems and has anyone any pertinent comments re the Britannia: am I worrying unnecessarily about purchasing it ?

Many thanks
Tony
Hello Tony,

Have you tried E-Mailing Dapol? I had a poor runner with the first batch of class 73 electro diesel they released. They asked me to send it directly back and they replaced it for free including p&p, and they also sent an apology e-mail. I have no personal connections with Dapol but I must say that sounds very un-usual about them not getting back to you after 2 letters. Definately try e-mailing your concerns, and mention your worry about purchasing the Brittania class due to this poor recent customer service.

Im sure they will quickly respond then!

Hope this helps and keep us all posted with your progress,

Kind Regards

OwL

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

moogle

I've been lucky and not had any running probs. Only had tank engines from them though.
Its true what the others have said, they iron out faults in early batches. Usually early on too.

As to email, good luck!  :o
I emailed their customer services 3 times asking if they sold the terrier chassis separately and I never heard back.  >:(
Short of visiting them personally a good old fashioned snail mail letter will have to do!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

longbridge

Whilst on the subject of 9Fs can anyone please tell me the minimum radius required for a Bachmann Farish 9F ?.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

1whitemoor

Quote from: Zunnan on April 27, 2011, 05:02:27 PM
Farish dropped the planned 9F from their range, which is a crying shame as the Dapol 9F is an absolute dog.

The Dapol 9F is apparently supposed to be perfectly happy on 9" (first radius) curves, but considering that it can't get itself around a straight length of track without falling over (assuming it can actually start the train) I'd say its happier on 2nd and above. All of the ones I had before I gave up on them would get around a 11 1/2" curve comfortably, but none would get just 15 wagons around a 24" curve...if they got past the pointwork to reach it... ::)

Perhaps try it on a fellow n-gaugers layout, perhaps your trackwork is not layed well enough for a 1-10-0?

Out of curiosity, how many have you had? and were they from the first batch released?

Did you try and contact Dapol about the locomotives, or return them to place of purchase?

Paul

elmo

I have two 9F's, 1st & 2nd batch. I fixed a spring on the front bogie prior to Dapol bringing out their replacement type. once the front bogie was sorted it ran through set track points and 9" curves without problems. The second batch has never had any problems on small curves. Both locos can pull anything I put in their way.
For comparison, the dapol machanism is head and shoulders over the graham farish tender drive in both pulling power and slow start. I have a Scott and Jubilee. They are good but not great. Pulling power not the best even with extra traction tyres. The winner from my collection though goes to the Peco collett. I have two of these and they perform well at all speeds with multiple loads.
It appears to me from both personal experience and reading various forums that good and bad locos is a matter of luck. No quality control seems to take place at the manufacturer.

H

Quote from: Zunnan on April 27, 2011, 05:02:27 PMthe Dapol 9F is an absolute dog......  but considering that it can't get itself around a straight length of track without falling over

Hmm, that's rather excessive over the top hyperbole which is just not true of all Dapol 9Fs; my one runs fine and doesn't fall over or derail.

Quote from: Zunnan on April 27, 2011, 05:02:27 PMthe horrific screw attached valve gear

Yep, the screws don't look good and it's a shame as the Q1 doesn't have them. But the trouble is that's not confined to Dapol. The Farish locos also have horrid oversized screws attaching the valve gear which are a mix of cross head and slot head screws and hex bolts all on the same loco.

H.

1whitemoor

Quote from: Zunnan on April 27, 2011, 11:32:35 PM
When you experience a 100% faliure rate with something, thats generally good grounds to call a dog a dog even if there are good ones out there. It tends to indicate problems on a larger scale than average.
No, it just means you were "unlucky", and it appears (given the evidence) that you were.

Quote from: Zunnan on April 27, 2011, 11:32:35 PM
but they certainly didn't sort out the keeper plate issue, or the pickups being nowhere near specification
Yes, I think you'll find they did do this.

Paul

Tank

Zunnan, whilst I feel your opinions are well justified after 5 loco's, please don't get personal on here.  I want this to remain a friendly forum!

Quote from: H on April 28, 2011, 12:20:35 PM
something that I'm surprised the moderators appear to be tolerating.

H.

H, some of us do have a life away from N Gauge and off of this forum, so we can't be on here all of the time.

The topic is now locked, until I can get home from work and edit this page.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations