todays idiot question

Started by guest311, July 16, 2013, 07:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

thinking of having a loco being resprayed and renumbered etc in the spraybay.

so today's idiot question is ...

were the large logo arrows of indecision applied as a vinyl / transfer or masked / stencil and sprayed ?

same for the numbers and other markings.

cheers in advance for the answer.

alan

scruff

I just had a look through the pictures I've got of large logo loco's and it seems to be vinyl. I remember seeing the old  D prefix numbers showing through the paintwork on blue loco's. they were raised up above the surrounding paintwork. I also noticed that the large logo arrows were not always quite straight!

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mark

Maurits71

Can we not make this an on going topic as I get a few on a regular basis.

My contribution for the day.

My fish tank is 26 degrees C. I have set my heater on 24 and the red light isn't coming on since three days, I think my heater is faulty.
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Cimmerian

Quote from: Maurits71 on July 17, 2013, 01:06:32 PMI think my heater is faulty.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?  That works for so many other things! ;D
Regards, Ken

painbrook

A priority, if you don't have one already, is a spare heater. The red light only comes on when the temperature goes below your setting(24C). It could be the ambient temp. in your room is higher than normal due the season.
26C is fine, mine is slightly higher so I might do a small 'water change' refilling with slightly cooler water. Cheers john.

davieb

Quote from: Maurits71 on July 17, 2013, 01:06:32 PM
Can we not make this an on going topic as I get a few on a regular basis.

My contribution for the day.

My fish tank is 26 degrees C. I have set my heater on 24 and the red light isn't coming on since three days, I think my heater is faulty.

As the self-appointed Fishkeeping expert of the forum (I work in an Aquatics shop) ..........Don't panic  :hmmm:

As painbrook says it is more than likely that the ambient temperature is keeping the water warmer than your heater is set at

You could do a small water change with cooler water or get a plastic bottle 3/4 fill it with cold water and float it in your tank  :thumbsup:

May I ask what size tank you have because the larger the tank the longer it will take to cool down  :hmmm:
Also a heater that is not working isn't the end of the world as most tropical fish will tolerate temps down to 16 as long as the change is slow

What they can't stand is sudden changes in any water parameters I.E temp, PH, etc
also it is much more common for a heater to fail in the "ON" position thus cooking your fish which can happen very quickly  :'(

I always have a couple of spare heaters lying around for this reason  ;)

hope this helps

dave  :thumbsup:

PostModN66

Anyone ever had the same idea as me of running an N Gauge line through a fish tank in a plastic tube?   It would look wacky, and might turn some fish into train spotters - after all with a two second memory they could keep spotting the same train all day!   :hmmm:

Cheers    Jon   

"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

davieb

Never thought of running trains in a fishtank  :hmmm:

But a couple of the 009 kits I have built have nearly ended up in the bottom of mine   :veryangry:

dave  :thumbsup:

FeelixTC

Quote from: PostModN66 on July 17, 2013, 03:28:48 PM
Anyone ever had the same idea as me of running an N Gauge line through a fish tank in a plastic tube?   It would look wacky, and might turn some fish into train spotters - after all with a two second memory they could keep spotting the same train all day!   :hmmm:

Cheers    Jon

Hauled by a Crab, no doubt  :doh:

PostModN66

....pulling a Turbot, a Whale and a shark!!   :D
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Oldman

Quote from: PostModN66 on July 17, 2013, 04:20:51 PM
....pulling a Turbot, a Whale and a shark!!   :D
Beat me to it :) Was going to say a school of Dogfish Chased by an Osprey
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Maurits71

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: sorry Guys

I am supposed to be the expert. It's me answering this kind of questions as part of my Job. I quoted a member of the public who contacted us.

My intention was to quote so now and then questions people ask me , but I am going to be carefully n ow with so many fish keepers also on this forum ( or don't ask questions like this to me, you will find them back sooner or later. )

M.
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Newportnobby

Quote from: PostModN66 on July 17, 2013, 03:28:48 PM
after all with a two second memory they could keep spotting the same train all day!   :hmmm:

Cheers    Jon

Ah, the old two second..erm....what were we discussing :confused1: ???

guest311

Quote from: scruff on July 17, 2013, 11:22:46 AM
I just had a look through the pictures I've got of large logo loco's and it seems to be vinyl. I remember seeing the old  D prefix numbers showing through the paintwork on blue loco's. they were raised up above the surrounding paintwork. I also noticed that the large logo arrows were not always quite straight!

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mark

many thanks for that,
looks like they may need a BIG bowl of water in the paintshop to do those transfers, but it looks like someone may fill it with fish instead  :smiley-laughing:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations