Class 08 Body & Frames

Started by Mr Sprue, February 16, 2020, 06:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Sprue

What am I missing here? I keep coming across Graham Farish Class 08 body & frames being sold!! What an earth are their chassis being used for to break up such attractive looking shunters that are really not that cheap to buy!  :confused1:

e.g : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graham-Farish-Class-08-Shunter-Railfreight-Distribution-Body-Only/274266940192?hash=item3fdb956320:g:aH4AAOSwH9JeRlzj[/url]

exmouthcraig

I dont know BUT I did buy one from Rails for £20 so I could paint it or attempt to paint it without ruining the BR blue one I bought.

The ones from Rails do come complete in the original GF box so no idea why their stripping so many. The box label shows it was a complete loco and not just a body in the box :hmmm:

Bob G

I've sold bodies so I can use the chassis for the Parkwood Maunsell shunters, and I also sold a body of a black one because I wanted a green one that was no longer available but the body was being sold and so I needed a chassis. A case of switcheroo, but I can only think that Farish made too many bodies compared to chassis.
They never seem to make enough green ones with wasp stripes. Or without wasp stripes but with the later crest and later number, for that matter!

Bob

Izzy

You can get spare bodies from the likes of BRlines, but not the outside frames. I have a feeling there are 009 locos made commercially that use the 08 chassis and these items might be what is left over if they are required to buy the whole loco to get the chassis.

Izzy

Mr Sprue

You know what I think I can go with Izzy on this one, bearing in mind these 009 guys have a bit of pocket wedge to spend on their fetish!

Dr Al

Bachmann clearly dumped a significant number on Rails of Sheffield at one point a year or two ago - presumably these models had their chassis stripped out either as they didn't function, or to break up for spares.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

davidinyork

Quote from: Mr Sprue on February 16, 2020, 08:33:12 PM
You know what I think I can go with Izzy on this one, bearing in mind these 009 guys have a bit of pocket wedge to spend on their fetish!

It's got to be something like that - Rails have had many of these, in various liveries, over a number of years. I bought one a few years back for spare parts, and as I recall it contained everything apart from the mechanism, wheels and base plate.

Ted

Quote from: exmouthcraig on February 16, 2020, 06:38:45 PM
I dont know BUT I did buy one from Rails for £20 so I could paint it or attempt to paint it without ruining the BR blue one I bought.

The ones from Rails do come complete in the original GF box so no idea why their stripping so many. The box label shows it was a complete loco and not just a body in the box :hmmm:

Same here, about £20 for a BR blue weathering test bed (guinea pig)! 👍
Just call me Ted, or Edward... or Ed.

Just not Eddie.

Layout & Updates > Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations