Competition idea

Started by Fratton, January 10, 2012, 08:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fratton

So I was thinking to myself I like competitions but most of the time I haven't got the modelling time or the spare materials to commit to diarama competitions etc

But I had a thought of a design competition, most of us use or dabble with computer design for our layouts but just as many put pen to paper, maybe a competition for design to encourage peeps to give it a try,

Have three catagories

Small space 5x5 60x60 inches

Medium space 10x10 120x120 inches (room size must have a door on one of the walls)

Large space 20x20 240x240 inches (also must have a door on one of the outside walls)

The design can be any size inside the space provided by each catagory

Design using scarm, any rail , xtrackcad or any other computer track design, then upload a bitmap to the design thread of each catagory,,,,

Just an idea as it nothing but time to participate,
Charlie.

Mustermark

Nice idea.  Could give a lot of people some good ideas too.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Tank

Sounds like an excellent idea.  Lawrence loves to organise the Projects Department, so please put your idea forward to him, and you two can come up with the rules together.  :)

porkie

Sounds Good to me...

And it should give a new comer in to N gauge what can be achived insted of the drab in peco set track plans
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

kirky

Quote from: Fratton on January 10, 2012, 08:50:59 PM
So I was thinking to myself I like competitions but most of the time I haven't got the modelling time or the spare materials to commit to diarama competitions etc

But I had a thought of a design competition, most of us use or dabble with computer design for our layouts but just as many put pen to paper, maybe a competition for design to encourage peeps to give it a try,

Have three catagories

Small space 5x5 60x60 inches

Medium space 10x10 120x120 inches (room size must have a door on one of the walls)

Large space 20x20 240x240 inches (also must have a door on one of the outside walls)

The design can be any size inside the space provided by each catagory

Design using scarm, any rail , xtrackcad or any other computer track design, then upload a bitmap to the design thread of each catagory,,,,

Just an idea as it nothing but time to participate,

Can I make a small suggestion?
Instead of having 5x5, 10x10 etc etc (which i would call 1500x1500 mm and 3000x3000 mm because I am a metric pedant) could you call it 25 square feet, 100 square feet and 400 square feet (or the correspoonding metric equivalents). This would mean that someone could design a 12 and half foot by 2 foot layout for the 25 foot square category. Essentially meaning that any shape within the area categories could be designed, they wouldn't all have to fit in a square shape. That might have been what you had in mind when you say they can be any size within the area?
Does that make sense?

Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Fratton

That's what I meant by it can be any size within the space given, it can be any size within each catagory, I put it in inches as thats the unit of measurement my xtrackcad is setup to I will convert the distances for metric,,, just think of the 5x5 as a spare corner layout the 10x10 as a spare room layout and the 20x20 as a large railway room layout, hence having to accommodate a door on the two larger sizes,,,,,
Charlie.

Fratton

I will send a pm lawrance tomorrow afternoon/evening with the idea peramiters etc and get rules sorted as I'm at work on my iPhone at the moment til 3am then up with the birds (wierd term as they seem to be up before I leave work) to take my lad to one of his many appointments,

Should be a good competition as the only limits are the size and the imagination, (like any model railway project)
Charlie.

EtchedPixels

Square feet seems a popular one. I do wonder if a budget at RRP would be more intriguing...
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations