Garage petrol scam's

Started by Oldun, November 27, 2014, 05:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldun

Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Griffo

Not really. 1.009 litres @£1.239 per litre comes out as £1.25015. 9/1000 of a litre costs more than a penny but pump only displays to 1/100 of a litre. Been there, done it with Trading Standards.

MJKERR

We get these kind of things all the time
A petrol pump can round UP or DOWN by up to 2p once the nozzle has been replaced AND the pump switched off
It used to be 1p but as the price has increased so has the tolerance

Dorsetmike

Far better to test/prove the accusation by doing the check at 10 litres.

Typical faecesbook scaremongering.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

PaulCheffus

Quote from: mjkerr on November 27, 2014, 07:30:35 PM
We get these kind of things all the time
A petrol pump can round UP or DOWN by up to 2p once the nozzle has been replaced AND the pump switched off
It used to be 1p but as the price has increased so has the tolerance

Hi

Is that why I can never seem to manage to put exact £s in the car these days since all the pumps were upgraded.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

MJKERR

Quote from: Dorsetmike on November 27, 2014, 07:32:37 PM
Far better to test/prove the accusation by doing the check at 10 litres
Trading Standards perform three checks; 5 litres, 10 litres and 25 litres
They would reject any claim under 2 litres, as this is the legal minimum to be dispensed

Quote from: PaulCheffus on November 27, 2014, 09:38:54 PMIs that why I can never seem to manage to put exact £s in the car these days since all the pumps were upgraded
Partially, but I don't see what a pump upgrade would have to do with it
The tolerance is related to the fuel price but now that it has exceeded £1.00 per litre the variance has as well
The main issue now is that a small amount of fuel is 0.4p and so the rounding up / down is more likely to occur

Ironically, I fill my car based on portions of the fuel tank and have never had any issue

PaulCheffus

Quote from: mjkerr on November 28, 2014, 06:35:56 AM
Quote from: Dorsetmike on November 27, 2014, 07:32:37 PM
Far better to test/prove the accusation by doing the check at 10 litres
Trading Standards perform three checks; 5 litres, 10 litres and 25 litres
They would reject any claim under 2 litres, as this is the legal minimum to be dispensed

Quote from: PaulCheffus on November 27, 2014, 09:38:54 PMIs that why I can never seem to manage to put exact £s in the car these days since all the pumps were upgraded
Partially, but I don't see what a pump upgrade would have to do with it
The tolerance is related to the fuel price but now that it has exceeded £1.00 per litre the variance has as well
The main issue now is that a small amount of fuel is 0.4p and so the rounding up / down is more likely to occur

Ironically, I fill my car based on portions of the fuel tank and have never had any issue

Hi

I only mentioned the pumps as we have two garages in our town one had their pumps replaced around a year ago, the other quite recently. Before the upgrade I could always manage to get exact £s from the second garage.

Cheers

Paul

Workbench thread

PLD

Newer pumps have a faster flow rate, (so you can fill up the tanks of the :censored: 4x4s everyone drives quicker) so it takes more skill and quicker reactions to stop at a specific quantity or value. That is probably the main reason why you can't stop at round £s...

Oldun

I myself have a vehicle with an 18 gallon tank. I either top it up once a month or when it reaches
1/2 a tank. That's anything up to £49 pound a time  :-X

Roger

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

MikeDunn

Quote from: PLD on November 28, 2014, 07:50:16 AM
Newer pumps have a faster flow rate, (so you can fill up the tanks of the :censored: 4x4s everyone drives quicker)
Excuse me but 4x4s can be a very important vehicle to those of us living out in the sticks.  During Winter (and also when there is some flooding) I have been able to get around when you  :censored: 2x4 drivers are slip-sliding into 1' tall snowdrifts or flooding engines in 6" of water ... !  Not to mention getting around in proper deep snow or water.

Quoteso it takes more skill and quicker reactions to stop at a specific quantity or value. That is probably the main reason why you can't stop at round £s...
Can't say I have many problems stopping at whole pounds; maybe it's because I watch what I'm doing, slow down from about the 50p and trickle it from the 90p ... ?

Oldun

Quote from: MikeDunn on November 28, 2014, 09:22:39 AM
Quote from: PLD on November 28, 2014, 07:50:16 AM
Newer pumps have a faster flow rate, (so you can fill up the tanks of the :censored: 4x4s everyone drives quicker)
Excuse me but 4x4s can be a very important vehicle to those of us living out in the sticks.  During Winter (and also when there is some flooding) I have been able to get around when you  :censored: 2x4 drivers are slip-sliding into 1' tall snowdrifts or flooding engines in 6" of water ... !  Not to mention getting around in proper deep snow or water.

Have you had the same as me "Bloody 4x4 gas guzzlers" all the time - until the heavy snow comes  :) then
everybody is your 'best friend' because when you go shopping they nearly always ask if you can pick up or
get them something 'while your at it/out'  ;)

Roger

MikeDunn

PaulCheffus

Quote from: MikeDunn on November 28, 2014, 09:22:39 AM
Can't say I have many problems stopping at whole pounds; maybe it's because I watch what I'm doing, slow down from about the 50p and trickle it from the 90p ... ?

Hi

Yep tried that and it always goes from .99 to .01

Cheers

Paul

Workbench thread

trainsdownunder

Most of the Pumps I use in Oz have the option of selecting the value you wish to fill to. ie you can enter $30 if that's all you want and the pump slows downs and stops smack on the money.

No quicjk reactions needed - just as well with age.

Dorsetmike

Quote4x4s can be a very important vehicle to those of us living out in the sticks.

That's what they're made for, not for the quarter mile each way school run and maybe half mile Tesco trip, and the only time they go off road is when they park on the pavement!

Most of them qualify for the "Chelsea Tractor" title.

It should be an essential part of the sale that a proof of frequent need for off road performance is required.

As for things like the Porsche Carrera Turbo, you only need one of them if the school run is less than 200yards and you only have one kid, if you live over a mile from the school and have at least 3 kids, then a Ford Fester is more than adequate.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations