Ski Jumping

Started by Philip., November 16, 2018, 05:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip.

The new season starts today, that's my weekend viewing sorted till next March  :D Any other fans on here?

Steve Brassett

Yep - I have never skied, but Ski Sunday always leads nicely up to Christmas.

Back to ski jumping.  I visited the Olympic Ski Jump in Oslo (in summer).  It is a long way down and very steep.  That might sound obvious, but it still takes your breath away.

Philip.

I go to Bischofshofen every January for the finale of the 4 Hills tournament, it's brilliant to watch live, and yes it is breathtaking

TrevL

Quote from: Philip. on November 16, 2018, 05:19:14 PM
The new season starts today, that's my weekend viewing sorted till next March  :D Any other fans on here?
Yes, one here.  What channel is it on please?

Thirty years ago I had 1/2 dozen ski-ing holidays and loved it I considered myself a "brave" intermediate, probably the gluhwein I always had for breakfast ;)
I once skied the 1976 olympic downhill course at Igls, the one Franz Klammer won in two minutes, it took me 14 minutes and was absolutely cream crackered and at the end.  Balls of steal, those guys ( and gals).

I've often wonderred, how do you start ski jumping, at some poit you've got to launch yourself off that hill?
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Philip.

Quote from: TrevL on November 16, 2018, 05:54:09 PM
Quote from: Philip. on November 16, 2018, 05:19:14 PM
Yes, one here.  What channel is it on please?

Thirty years ago I had 1/2 dozen ski-ing holidays and loved it I considered myself a "brave" intermediate, probably the gluhwein I always had for breakfast ;)
I once skied the 1976 olympic downhill course at Igls, the one Franz Klammer won in two minutes, it took me 14 minutes and was absolutely cream crackered and at the end.  Balls of steal, those guys ( and gals).

I've often wonderred, how do you start ski jumping, at some poit you've got to launch yourself off that hill?

It's on Eurosport

Philip.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/47113853 arguably the greatest Ski Jumper of all time, Matti Nykaenen, passed away on Monday at the age of 55. Never saw him live but was enthralled by him on TV.

Philip.

New season starts next Friday 22.11.2019, can't wait :D

Philip.

Garyf

Great place to be, love that part of Austria. Stood at the top of the jumps in Innsbruck and Garmisch, I don't understand how you would tackle that for the first time. Even the 'baby' sized ones in Seefeld and Kitzbuhel look a long way down.

Gary

Newportnobby

Sis and I were only discussing on Christmas Day - where has 'Ski Sunday' got to?

Philip.

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 27, 2019, 02:30:08 PM
Sis and I were only discussing on Christmas Day - where has 'Ski Sunday' got to?

Back a week on Sunday https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006v8fc/broadcasts/upcoming but only seems to feature the Alpine skiing nowadays

Philip.

Quote from: Garyf on December 27, 2019, 02:16:54 PM
Great place to be, love that part of Austria. Stood at the top of the jumps in Innsbruck and Garmisch, I don't understand how you would tackle that for the first time. Even the 'baby' sized ones in Seefeld and Kitzbuhel look a long way down.

Gary

I've seen 6 year olds jump off the "baby hill" at Bischofshofen, comes second nature to them I suppose. They are taught to ski as soon as they can walk. What makes someone want to jump off a 145m Hill though is anyones guess. Very spectacular though.

Philip.

Hello from Austria, last day of the 4Hills competition.  Time for Gluhwein and Leberkassesemmel oh and Ski Jumping 😁 Stunning weather at the minute, clear blue skies very calm going to be a cracking finale.

TrevL

Video unavailable in the UK
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations