Video: Graham Farish (Poole) factory tour

Started by railsquid, September 23, 2019, 02:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PedanticmongrelNmodelling/videos/460106588181960

Publicly visible, no login needed. I couldn't find a non-Facebook version.

Apologies if this is old news (well it is, but you know what I mean ;) )

Bealman

Interesting! Thanks for posting!

In a way, it's a bit of a shame that it's all gone now. Makes you wonder how the models weren't more expensive than they were!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Train Waiting

Absolutely fantastic; thank you for posting.

The employees are amazing; I think my favourite was the chap sticking on the nameplates.

It's such a shame that this is now all owned and produced abroad.  The equipment used in the factory is fascinating.

I agree with George's observation regarding price.

And... terrible thought... might some of the jobs have become a tad tedious; doing the same thing all day, every day?

Thanks again and best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Bealman

I've often pondered that, but I'd like to think this is a bit different.... they are producing scale models of the prototypes, and the worker's input makes a difference. Each model is individual, and I think it would tend to be conducive to taking pride and time with each model.

What they were doing there is not exactly the same as packing yoghurt cups into boxes (which I did for a while, night shift, in college days)!!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

martyn

I was lucky enough to have a guided tour with Mr Peter Graham Farish at about the time that I returned to modelling N gauge in about 1987-my brother in law knew him through work.

It was when the A3 'Prince Palatine' was being made; the person who I felt most sorry for was the lone man who was doing all the valve gear manufacture (the plastic welding of the individual components to the centre driving wheel) prior to it being fitted on the loco. I also remember the large stock room full of spare parts or components awaiting their return to the production line.

A very interesting morning for me, especially as Mr Farish also gave me a short talk on the history of the firm.

Martyn

Newportnobby

A very interesting film. Love the comment 'Farish have made more class 47s than Brush ever did'
Stands to reason of course. Every loco was tested then, too.

joe cassidy

I admire the patience and the dexterity of all the staff in the film, especially those doing the fiddly jobs.

After seeing the machine that knocks the rough edges off the loco body castings I now understand why the Poole era locos were so robust.

In 2000 years time those die cast locos will be rediscovered by archeologists wheres the more recent highly detailled locos will disappear without trace (apart from the metal bits).

joe cassidy

The other thing that struck me was that Farish were perceived to be a "big boy" in UK outiline N gauge but they had only 40 staff.

Bob Tidbury

:thankyousign: to Pedanticmongrel for posting this on Facebook ,if anyone follows Rapido video clips that is how all their models are made though they are mostly made of plastic they are still painted and built by hand .its amazing how the girls in the factory have the patience to sit there all day doing such repetitive work .
Bob Tidbury

Dorsetmike

That takes me back to the 1980s, we had an area group then covering east Dorset and the New Forest meeting in each others houses; one meeting at my house we had Peter Graham Farish visit and we had a great discussion, the word got out and we even had 2 guests from a group in the Basingstoke area who travelled over 50 miles for it.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Michael Shillabeer

Quote from: Dorsetmike on September 23, 2019, 02:28:28 PM
That takes me back to the 1980s, we had an area group then covering east Dorset and the New Forest meeting in each others houses; one meeting at my house we had Peter Graham Farish visit and we had a great discussion, the word got out and we even had 2 guests from a group in the Basingstoke area who travelled over 50 miles for it.
I remember that meeting Mike, 1986 or 1987 I recon :-)

Whist editor of the N Gauge Journal I had a factory tour in 1993 culminating in lunch at Poole Yacht Club!

guest311

what a superb film, if only britain still made stuff like this.

Paddy

I was fortunate enough to visit the Poole factory with Chris Leigh and Nigel Harris in 1999.  Both were at Model Rail magazine at this time.  We had a meeting with Peter Graham Farish followed by a pub lunch in his local.  The afternoon was spent looking around the factory.

It was a great day and it was wonderful to see the models being made and tested.  They even had a bench where Magnum layouts were being put together.

The staff were very friendly and happy to show you what they did.  There was a genuine pride in their work.  What amazed me, is that everything was made onsite - models, packaging, printed materials etc.  It was like a mini GWR works at Swindon.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Dorsetmike

@Michael Shillabeer , bit earlier than that, I moved to Weston Super Mud in '85, came back here in '92.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Skyline2uk

Just got round to watching this....wow  :goggleeyes:

I would have been 14 or so when this was made and would have had maybe 4 locos, all Farish (still have 3 of them as well). I would have given anything to look around that place, I mean that was like Nirvana!

I never knew that EVERYTHING was made in one place, diecast chassis, individual armatures all the way to packaging....and the hand assembly is extremely impressive (still the same in China mind).

My favourite bit by far was the painting. What I wouldn't give for that masking thingy, would have made my 47145 nose a two minute job...

Skyline2uk

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations