Class 08 re release?

Started by 1936ace, January 22, 2013, 11:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1936ace

Hi, I am thinking of getting an 08 shunter but can only find green or black. Does anyone know if farish will do a re run of the br blue.

I have an 03 and that runs great but stalls over points when going very slow. Did they ever run them as pairs?

I was hoping to use the larger 08 at zac ton junction which is the large city terminus / station to move the coaches etc around before the big loco hooks on for the trips.

Thanks Bart

dodger

Thr only place I can remember 03's working in pairs or threes was the BPGV line in South Wales.

Dodger

PLD

Re: the 03 Stalling - one of our 04s runs with a runner wagon (ex conflat jst like many of the prototype runners) which is fitted with extra pickups and wired to the loco.

03s with runners were common on station pilot duties.

Paul

Chris in Prague

Bart, I have just put an almost brand new BR Blue outside cranks Class 08 diesel shunter for sale in the NGF Classifieds for only £55 as it had damaged / missing side steps.

In the late 1960s, in the North-East (to replace single Class 20s on coal trains), there were permanently coupled (cab-back to cab-back) pairs of Gateshead allocated Class 03s plus at least one pair of Class 04s, all in BR Green with wasp stripes at that time. Gateshead's paired Class 03s were used in the Sunderland area on the South Dock - Silksworth turns. One of the 03 pairs was 2071 / 2074 so, yes, you could run them in pairs on both ER (NE) and WR (south Wales) layouts.

Chris in Prague

Quote from: PLD on January 23, 2013, 08:12:58 AM
Re: the 03 Stalling - one of our 04s runs with a runner wagon (ex conflat jst like many of the prototype runners) which is fitted with extra pickups and wired to the loco.

03s with runners were common on station pilot duties.

Paul

The Model Centre does very nice Conflat A BR Yellow Shunter's Running Wagons (377-325Z), I have one.

1936ace

Thanks guys, do the running wagons have electrical pick ups
Bart

PLD

Quote from: 1936ace on January 06, 2014, 10:46:33 PM
Thanks guys, do the running wagons have electrical pick ups
Bart
Not as they come...

I added them to mine using phosphor-bronze strips bearing on the wheels and wired through to the loco.

ParkeNd

Quote from: 1936ace on January 22, 2013, 11:24:37 PM
Hi, I am thinking of getting an 08 shunter but can only find green or black. Does anyone know if farish will do a re run of the br blue.

I have an 03 and that runs great but stalls over points when going very slow. Did they ever run them as pairs?

I was hoping to use the larger 08 at zac ton junction which is the large city terminus / station to move the coaches etc around before the big loco hooks on for the trips.

Thanks Bart

Hattons have them right now in blue at £65.

1936ace

Yeh just saw them. Shame about our exchange rate preferred it at 69pence to our dollar, now it's struggling at around near the fifty mark so $106 instead of $78 oh well it was good while it lasted.
Bart

Chris in Prague

I've noticed the prices of secondhand Graham Farish Class 03s and 04s have recently fallen on eBay to around £40 for BR Green ones (I bought a BR Green Class 04 for around £40 and have just had it DCC fitted at Wickness) as a BR Green one is more in period than my BR Blue one (which, consequently, will be DCC fitted later), BR Blue Class 03s are still around £60, BR Blue Calass 04s are rarer on eBay.

johnlambert

I bought a plain green Class 08 diesel from Hattons for about £40-45, if you are feeling brave you could get one of those and paint it blue...

1936ace

Can't  paint so I'll just have to man up & dive deeper in the pocket if I want one
Bart

johnlambert

Don't blame you, I'm not ready to attempt painting a loco just yet.

RST

Just picked up a new blue one from the shop in Inverness as an impulse buy to save painting mine.  Brand new so there must be some stock out there.

Chris in Prague

Hattons has them in stock:

371-015B
Graham Farish
Class 08 diesel 08 856 in BR blue with wasp stripes
N Gauge
£65.15
More than 10 in stock

But if you want to buy one cheaper, I have a very similar BR Blue one for £55 BUT it has missing / broken end and cab steps (some parts are in the box).

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations