The every day disaster movie which is Japan

Started by railsquid, February 26, 2021, 04:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on January 15, 2022, 10:20:30 PM
Yeah, we're just getting wind of it here.

Surely that would be an anticyclone? :P

Both NHK channels still in emergency live broadcast mode this morning:

No major damage reported so far, but given that it provided the name for the phenomenon, Japan takes tsunamis seriously.

cmason

Quote from: railsquid on January 15, 2022, 05:10:23 PM
Quote from: cmason on January 15, 2022, 04:21:21 PM
Quote from: railsquid on January 15, 2022, 04:05:06 PM
Quote from: cmason on January 15, 2022, 03:54:44 PM
Indeed Ian. The phone has been shouting tsunami alerts at me every five minutes.

Is that the built-in alert system or some kind of app? My phone is silent, but it is well inland; I only noticed a few minutes ago when I checked the news.

Its the regular alert - just like the earthquake one. iPhone XS Max on Softbank network (but not a SIM locked one - bought direct from Apple ) with GPS locationing switched on but partially obfuscated IP locationing. Alerts are Kanagawa specific ( basically Tokyo-bay at 0.2m  and Sagami-bay at 1m ). You may be too far inland to be alerted?

Yup, 25km land and 45m up, which is not typical stomping ground for tsunamis. Useful to know they trigger alerts, I have from time to time known to be in the vicinity of the sea.

IIRC the alerts are broadcast via an SMS-like mechanism on a tower-by-tower basis to all devices connected to the respective tower.

Yeah - we live high enough that I am not worried about the water and anyway on the Tokyo Bay  side of things ( rather than Sagami Bay ) is not such a huge worry. If Tokyo Bay produced a big Tsunami then we would have much worse problems as it  woudl need huge quake directly underneath to suitably stir up that relatively enclosed "lake" of water. Now a volcani eruption round these parts - that would be concerning. We do live on the opposite side of our building to the Fuji side - a view that apparently commands a premium from some folks - although what I always remember is something a former landlord of a property we rented up on the hill here  said to me - it was a nice solid ( rebar ) house originally built to his fathers specification who had apparently insisted the Fuji facing wall be blank with no doors or windows.... which when you consider that Yokohama is only about 100km "downrange" from Fuji-san makes sense.

railsquid

Well it's nice to look at; view from the local park:

It's the layer of ash settling across the Kanto region paralyzing all the infrastructure wot concerns me most. But anyway, ticked off one more outstanding item on the Disaster Prevention Todo List, which was to fix a free standing mirror to the wall in such a way that it will hopefully not break, or at least add too much additional damage.

railsquid

Interestingly (well for those of us who follow these things), technically it wasn't a tsunami (which are caused by water displacing following shifts in the sea bed), but a change in sea level due to a sudden change in atmospheric pressure caused by the eruption.

For reference, a picture of a dormant volcano I took from a hotel balcony last month :D

Bealman

That's I nice pic. The day we were out on a lake (dunno if it was the same one), it was cloudy and we couldn't see the mountain.

It's dormant, isn't it, not extinct.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on January 17, 2022, 12:41:08 AM
That's I nice pic. The day we were out on a lake (dunno if it was the same one), it was cloudy and we couldn't see the mountain.

Yeah, dormant, last eruption was in the 18th century, but it is currently under 24h observation due to various recent Portentous Signs of Doom.

If you were on the pirate ships, you were on the other (Hakone) side. Best viewed in winter when the air is clear and the snowcap is there; first time I've really seen it that clear that long close-up.

Bealman

Yeah, that's where we were - I forgot the name  :-[

What are the signs of doom? Seismic tremors?

(Geophysics degree)  :drool: :drool: ;D

Trainfish

Quote from: railsquid on January 17, 2022, 01:28:04 AM
If you were on the pirate ships.................

Well I never. No wonder George got sent to Oz if he was a pirate  :(
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on January 17, 2022, 01:31:25 AM
Yeah, that's where we were - I forgot the name  :-[

Ashinoko.

Quote from: Bealman on January 17, 2022, 01:31:25 AM
What are the signs of doom? Seismic tremors?

(Geophysics degree)  :drool: :drool: ;D

- it's been dormant for a period thought to approximate the historical interval between major eruptions
- there has been a general uptick in seismic activity since March 2011, including this M6.4 earthquake "thought to have been near the presumed location of the magma chamber" (I remember feeling that one as the shaking reached my location at about the same time as those from another M6 quake out in the subduction zone)
- a recent specific uptick in seismic activity along the plate upon which Fuji sits (see video I posted here.

:D

cmason

Quote from: Bealman on January 17, 2022, 12:41:08 AM

Get quite a few nice views of it this time of year from here in Yokohama - its the cold clear winter air rather than teh summer smog. Plus the inversion layer (I think thats the word?) makes it look closer - its actually quite uplifting a view in the morning during the often glum month of January as one struggles to get back into a work mode...

railsquid

This evening we have had the pleasure of an M7.3 and subsequent tsunami warning, which unusually also knocked out the power across vast swathes of the Tokyo area (back on now), so had the pleasure of dealing with it in the dark, fortunately we have strategically placed torches for just such an occasion.

No major damage reported so far, one Shinkansen derailed, and apparently there is a fire alarm in number 5 turbine hall of Fukushima Nuclear Power Station Number One (yes that one). Though at least it is not being targeted with live munition.

TrevL

Yes, just read that on BBC news website. Hope you are all ok, and lets hope it doesn't turn out like it did ten? years ago. Stay safe.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

railsquid

Aha, going by the broadcast alerts it was actually two earthquakes in short succession, the second one being stronger.

railsquid

Quote from: TrevL on March 16, 2022, 04:32:56 PM
Yes, just read that on BBC news website. Hope you are all ok, and lets hope it doesn't turn out like it did ten? years ago. Stay safe.

Thanks, fortunately it's nothing like as intense as the 2011 one (it's more like the one which preceded it by a couple of days, hah).

Bealman

Yeah, put TV on this morning here in Adelaide and it was on. ABC didn't give it much coverage, though.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations