Box file layout

Started by Simondi, March 06, 2020, 06:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simondi

Hi
I'm a new member here and after many years am keen to return to the hobby.
My interest has been caught by the box file layouts but I'm unsure about what the best track to use would be - bearing in mind I am effectively a novice.

I like the idea of a loop with a siding, any suggestions or recommendations are welcomed

crewearpley40

Welcome simondi. There is also section on box file layouts. I would hover your cursor on the ngf links at the top of the page . You should see A beginners guide to model railways. The classic inglenook siding layout is also a good starting place. Click in layout construction, there is a sub board : box file layouts

Simondi

Quote from: crewearpley40 on March 06, 2020, 06:11:01 AM
Welcome simondi. There is also section on box file layouts. I would hover your cursor on the ngf links at the top of the page . You should see A beginners guide to model railways. The classic inglenook siding layout is also a good starting place. Click in layout construction, there is a sub board : box file layouts

Cheers :)

Bealman

G'day from Australia, Simondi, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

As pointed out above, plenty of info about box file layouts here. The search function will turn them up.

The Inglenook layout is a legendary plan.

If you are after realistic trackwork, Peco Code 55 would probably be the weapon of choice for many forum members.

Welcome on board!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

crewearpley40

Agreed. george. Simondi. Also Google inglenook sidings. A plan was created on wymann.info
It was based on Wright, s interpretation of kilham sidings on the alnwick to cornhill branch NE railway which closed in 1953. If you google kilham sidings. Headshunt  Topolgy Pros and Cons - Layout and Track Design Its about headshunt and shunting as a puzzle without fouling the mainline

Bealman

Yes, the Americans design shunting puzzles which are also worth looking at.

crewearpley40

Newportnobby

Hi Simondi, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I guess the track type depends on what you want to run as some track does not suit some locos.
The minimum radius is usually 9" (although Kato do some less) so ½ a circle will take up about 20" of width.

port perran

Will you be using conventional box files?
If so, how many and in what configuration as this will obviously affect how much track you can fit in.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Phoenix

Hi Simon,

Here is a video from James who shows the construction of his loop of Kato track in a single box-file

Also you could check out Jason, a member here who has some awesome box-file layouts and has been an inspiration for my little Windmill Hill layout .

Here is one of his

Hope this helps

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

dannyboy

Hi Simondi and welcome to the forum.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Simondi

Thanks for all the replies.

I think the KATO track looks the most likely solution.
I had thought just a single file but maybe two will give more flexibility.
Decisions decisions

Bealman

Don't stress too much, mate.

It's meant to be fun!  :thumbsup:

dannyboy

It's a bit like the gambling warning - 'When the fun stops, stop'.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Jerry Howlett

Scalescenes, are going to launch an "N" gauge download for a box file layout.  Its due anytime soon .

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations