Help on Ballasting required

Started by mojo, February 07, 2020, 09:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karhedron

Quote from: mojo on March 01, 2020, 12:53:16 PM
The difficulty I seem to have is how to achieve an even level of the ballast infill. Using dry ballast dust and trying to brush over a large area does not leave a suitable even level. Tried running a piece of card over with little or no success.
I have tried painting first with thinned PVA then sprinkling the ballast dust, also laying on a layer of ballast and wetting, then soaking with the PVA. Nothing has met with my approval so far

I completely understand the problem. I think that using loose material and attempting to replicate the real thing in miniature is very hard. When ballasting tracks, you have the sleepers to keep things level but large flat areas provide no such guides.

Chris Nevard uses DAS modelling clay to create the look of ash ballast for goods yards etc. I have not tried it myself but his layouts look extremely convincing and clay is much easier to work and get a decent level than handfuls of loose ballast.

http://nevardmedia.blogspot.com/2011/08/creating-effect-of-ash-ballast.html

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

mojo

Thanks for the link, the photos look good and it has set off an idea using thinned filler and texturing with the ballast dust.
Maurice C.

David Asquith

Just a thought.  Would using a roller on the ballast work?  I haven't  tried it but it could work with the ballast dry or even wetted or even pva´d.

Dave

Southerngooner

I can only support what markthetog mentioned earlier. The Peedie ballast spreader is a wonderful bit of kit for the money. I've been dreading ballasting but a trial this afternoon with the Peedie spreader using Woodland Scenics fine ballast could not have gone better. Put the spreader on the track, add ballast and then move it gently along the track. Bingo! All those years of slow and painful application done away with! I'll be making heavy use of this now. It gets it 95% right first time so not too much fiddling with after application. It didn't move much when sprayed with water, nor when water/PVA was added. Highly recommended.
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

honestjudge

That is a great link posted by Matt @Karhedron. My only problem with that Chris Nevard piece is that he usually works on OO or O and I think it would be a nightmare to try and replicate using DAS clay on N gauge track.

I will say he (Chris Nevard) was spot on when he writes about people ballasting yards  "I have a hunch this is due to people copying other model railways rather than observing pictures of the real thing"  :hmmm: Generally, I feel a lot of this goes on!

This thread has prompted me to look a bit closer at this aspect of scenic detailing. I had a half hearted attempt at something like this on my own layout using coffee grinds a while back. I was pleased with the effect but feel it could be improved. My thinking is experimenting with more coffee grinds, real ash and cinders (from my multifuel stove) and coal ground very finely. It should tamp down well in-between the sleepers.
I'll report back in a few years :goggleeyes:

Sheffie

The best tool I've found for applying ballast has been a flat paintbrush. The one I used was about 8mm wide and had a broad spread of bristles.

Initial spreading, I did using a rectangle of stiff card folded down the middle to make a 90º angle. This can be used to scoop up the material and then, holding it at an angle, I can tap the side to deposit a little at a time. With practice this is fairly quick.

Smoothing down can then be done either by pressing down the paintbrush flat against the surface, or holding it upright and gently tapping downwards repeatedly on the surface.

There's a fine line between a terrible paint job and a masterpiece of weathering.

Southerngooner

I've done a bit of trial ballasting before going full tilt on the layout, and was pleasantly surprised with the results as shown on the two photos. I used the Peedie spreader mentioned earlier and a mix of Woodland Scenics fine ballast in two colours. For the first section I just filled the spreader and moved it slowly along the track, which I think gives an excellent starting point. It only needs a little tweaking in places to be fine for my use. I then added about 50% fine filler and did another piece, as this is what I intend to use in goods yards, sidings, etc., and again the result was excellent for a first try. This is the first photo for some reason!

I am quite confident I can now get a good result on the layout and am very pleased with the Peddie spreader.
Dave

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Southerngooner on March 12, 2020, 10:35:09 AM
... a mix of Woodland Scenics fine ballast in two colours.

Not sure about the mix of colours it looks a bit unnatural to my eyes and reminds me of budgie cage grit. I would expect all the stones to acquire the same overall dirt/brakedust colour.

The application seems to have gone well  :thumbsup:
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Southerngooner

If you look at real ballast it's often not one colour after a few months of weathering. The mix is two parts dark and one part light, and with a bit of weathering after installation should look good as it's the same mix used on James Street. I've looked at a number of colour photos for my location and period and there aren't many single colours there.
Dave

mojo

Perhaps the title is a bit misleading, I needed to cover larger areas than between the rails with ballast.
I have now found a method which to my mind has improved results, this "lightbulb" moment happened when my wife was watching a cookery program and I was kibitzing! The baker was icing a cake with powdered icing sugar and used a fine sieve. Bingo!
I tried this method by painting the area with diluted and coloured p.v.a then, using a fine sieve, sprinkled the fine ballast on top leaving a thin layer. When dry I vacuumed the area and finally painted again with the coloured p.v.a.
Much better result.
Thanks for all the previous replies.
Maurice C.

ntpntpntp

@mojo    I have an old tea-strainer, perfect for that type of spreading.  I use neat PVA as a base, sprinkle, then drizzle in dilute PVA to seal the ballast just as for ballasting trackwork.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

mojo

Yes I initially tried drizzling p.v.a. using a pipette before the ballast dried as for ballasting track but found this distorted the fine thin layer of material. Drying and painting with p.v.a. later was much better.
Maurice C.

ntpntpntp

As with all ballasting, I find the trick is to apply the dilute glue to an edge (or the sides of the rails when ballasting track itself) and let capillary action draw it in. Don't drop it from the pipette directly onto the ballast.

Ballasting is a relaxing activity, I hope I'll have more to do one day when the next project comes along  :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations