Tokens and Signals

Started by REGP, February 26, 2019, 08:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGP

I'm modelling a  steam era GWR Single Track Branch Line employing Tokens and am wondering if they would also have any signals?

At the entrance / exit to a station where Tokens are exchanged I'm thinking is a possibility, but any where else I wonder?

Any info' or reference points very welcome.

Ray

NeMo

They would indeed have signals, unless operated with the "one engine in steam" rule.

If you want to see how these signals look and work, a trip to, say, the West Somerset Railway should provide plenty of inspiration!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Train Waiting

Quote from: NeMo on February 26, 2019, 08:32:25 PM
They would indeed have signals, unless operated with the "one engine in steam" rule.

If you want to see how these signals look and work, a trip to, say, the West Somerset Railway should provide plenty of inspiration!

Cheers, NeMo

I agree with Nemo.  You can nowadays find single line sections with signals and no tokens (tokenless block working) but it is safe to assume that for a GWR branch line there would be signals.  If you are modelling a terminus station, it would have a 'fixed distant signal' on the approach.  Even pre-electric token systems like train staff or staff and ticket would have signals.  The train staff or token is a safeguard in addition to block working.  Sadly, not infallible as the Cambrian Railways found out at Abermule.

The Severn Valley Railway is also worth a visit as you can see single line block with token, double line block and single line tokenless block on your journey along the railway.  A couple of hours spent on Bewdley station would likely be of interest. 

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

REGP

Thanks guys, whilst both the West Somerset and Severn Railways sound very appealing I don't think I'll get the chance to visit them in person (maybe a video or two).

However, it looks like I need both Distant, Home and Starter Signals facing both ways for my Branch Line

Ray

EtchedPixels

Quote from: REGP on February 26, 2019, 08:10:56 PM
I'm modelling a  steam era GWR Single Track Branch Line employing Tokens and am wondering if they would also have any signals?

As well as entry/exit to the block so protected there are also advantages to having them in the terminus of the branch so that a train can remain parked up there (eg a freight) and a passenger service use the line.

If only one train was allowed over the line then one train in steam would be used which doesn't require signalling but has a hard rule that only one train was allowed on the entire track.

Heritage railways are generally a bad model for real branch lines. The have far too much stock, far too many trains and far too many other toys like signals. But then again modelling four identical passenger trains a day run by the same locomotive, and a daily freight, run by the same locomotive probably isn't terribly interesting 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Hailstone

Quote from: REGP on February 26, 2019, 08:10:56 PM
I’m modelling a  steam era GWR Single Track Branch Line employing Tokens and am wondering if they would also have any signals?

At the entrance / exit to a station where Tokens are exchanged I’m thinking is a possibility, but any where else I wonder?

Any info’ or reference points very welcome.

Ray

or visit the Epping Ongar railway, which I volunteer on which is also single line token working

Regards,

Alex

REGP

or visit the Epping Ongar railway, which I volunteer on which is also single line token working

Regards,

Alex
[/quote]

Thanks @Hailstone  I was at North Weald last Friday with a mate and did the full trip, where were you?.

Ray

REGP

Quote from: EtchedPixels on February 26, 2019, 09:54:31 PM

As well as entry/exit to the block so protected there are also advantages to having them in the terminus of the branch so that a train can remain parked up there (eg a freight) and a passenger service use the line.

If only one train was allowed over the line then one train in steam would be used which doesn't require signalling but has a hard rule that only one train was allowed on the entire track

Thanks @EtchedPixels very good point.

Ray

keithfre

By the time of the GWR the token had to be inserted into the token machine to release the points and signal for the section concerned.

Hailstone

Quote from: REGP on February 27, 2019, 04:41:27 PM

Regards,

Alex

Thanks @Hailstone  I was at North Weald last Friday with a mate and did the full trip, where were you?.

Ray
[/quote]

I work normally Tuesdays and Thursdays on track maintenance.

Regards,

Alex

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations