Graham Farish (and others) back to back standards

Started by 47 years N, May 20, 2016, 12:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47 years N

?
I don't like roundy roundys. Took me just 50 years to realise 🙄

Newportnobby

I just can't answer that as, in over 30 years in N gauge, I've never had any such issues (we need a [clean] touch wood smiley :uneasy:)

GaryAlan

I would have thought for peace of mind, it will rule out the problem at least, and I don't think they are mega expensive either, which is a bonus.
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left...

Byegad

I bought one and use it quite often. It has solved a lot of rolling stock and motive power derailing and running issues, in my experience.

PLD

Quote from: GreatBigBlue on May 20, 2016, 12:09:16 PMI have some rolling stock that occasionally derails in one direction but is ok when swapped around? ???
That could be one of a number of issues with those items of stock, not necessarily back to back. it could be something loose or hanging of the wagon catching or an axle not properly fitted into the axle box... If it was Back to Back you would expect the same behaviour every time at every point and would not expect turning the wagon to cure it...

However...
Quote from: GreatBigBlue on May 20, 2016, 12:09:16 PMIs it worth investing in a DCC Supplies back to back gauge?
YES!!  :thumbsup:

But beware there are numerous different versions around ranging from 7.0mm to 7.65mm which is enough variation to make a difference (IIRC the DCC Concepts gauge is at the top end of the range).
Assuming you are using PECO track, then 7.4 or 7.42mm is the one you ideally want...

bluedepot

i find a b2b gauge very useful

can't remember where i got mine from now (i think it might be 7.54mm or something like that)

tim 

jrb

Quote from: Only Me on May 20, 2016, 12:52:51 PM
Usually the back to back issue causes short at points, not derailing.. More evident if you run DCC, I have painstakingly done the back to backs on every single item of stock I own to avoid turnout shorts

I just had to do the same on Thursday, when I got my layout running. Quite a bit of it was out.

Woodenhead

My early Dapol Syphons didn't like the DCC supplies B2B.

Lost a couple of wheels as a result of forcing them apart with the gauge.  Later wheels with the plastic shaft are ok.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations