airbrush weathering

Started by matt-b, February 26, 2011, 10:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt-b

am looking at the air brushed weathering effect and like it alot. just dont know what to buy? has anyone got one?  which kit is best suited to do the job?

:NGaugeForum:

Lawrence

Matt, don't know if this will help, but at the show yesterday I spoke to a chap who sells custom weathered wagons.  He recommended to me, for working in N gauge, a gravity fed, dual action airbrush and a reasonable mid priced compressor.  I am sure there are others on here with more knowledge, but that may give you a starting point.

matt-b

thanks for that  :) i`ve seen a kit on ebay...but not sure how good or if its the rite sort of thing.

:NGaugeForum:

porkie

i brought a revvel duel stage as my first air brush.
For £40 its not a bad buy compaired to badger.
Ive never tried it for weathering but for resprays i always had good results.
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

Tank

I bought a Badger kit on eBay for about £15 I think.  I use a small compressor that cost about £60.....which is great for all kinds of other jobs.  Although, you can buy Propellant cans for the paint brushes, but they work out to be very expensive if you plan on using the airbrush a lot.

michael

ive got one of these, very pleased with it,

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_787573_langId_-1_categoryId_165614

but to contradict what Lawrence has said, I was advised not to get a gravity feeder, for any gauge, but to get a dual action bottom feeder...

Dock Shunter

Matt if you are serious about airbrush weathering and want good results then especially in n gauge you will need to
buy a decent quality airbrush.I would recommend a Gravity feed dual action airbrush.
Gravity feed because you can mix very small amounts of paint and have more control.Dual action because you can control the air/paint ratio.Siphon fed airbrushes are better for larger projects.
A compressor is also a must....no point spending £80 on a model then spattering paint on it with a cheap airbrush and an aerosol can.....the pressure can be very erratic from these.You must remember that quality equipment does not mean great results straight away....it takes a lot of practice.If it is something you really want to get into,i would look
at the better equipment....if not so sure maybe a starter set to begin with.I would check out brands such as Badger......Iwata (my recommendation) and Paasche .

Lawrence

Quote from: mikebillabong on February 26, 2011, 05:15:25 PM
ive got one of these, very pleased with it,

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_787573_langId_-1_categoryId_165614

but to contradict what Lawrence has said, I was advised not to get a gravity feeder, for any gauge, but to get a dual action bottom feeder...

Are we still talking airbrushes here  ???

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

michael

well, whatever floats ya boat!  :evil:

Mustermark

I have a Badger 200 that I use with cans of air.  It's cheap and cheerful and the air works out OK as I don't use it too much.  I have used it for my JJA autoballaster NGS kits taht I sprayed with it and did some rust with it on them (see my photos on my website - link below).  The main thing I found is to get the paint consistency right and it works really well.  I haven't done much real weathering with it yet... I'm working up to being brave with an old loco or some wagons.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations