Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kesdrive

On the theme of etickets, I have just purchased tickets for Model World Live and at the same time train tickets to Birmingham International. I had the option of a ticket on my phone (no chance!) or print at home.
If my football team (Wolves) ever issue season tickets as etickets as West Ham do, i will not renew my season ticket. And what is this with admin fees when we do all the admin!
All this in the name of progress.

Chris

Newportnobby

Quote from: PaulCheffus on March 25, 2024, 10:39:01 AM
Quote from: Newportnobby on March 25, 2024, 03:31:31 AM
Quote from: Papyrus on March 24, 2024, 02:21:06 PMPS. Don't get me started on 'keyless' car keys...

@Papyrus Being in possession of such, I'd like to know more please, Chris.
PM me if your rant isn't fit for the open forum ;)

Hi

Car can be stolen without access to the key. I keep mine (key) in a Faraday pouch to prevent this.

Cheers

Paul

So do I, Paul

stevewalker

I do too. Getting it out of the pouch to get into the car is more effort than just pressing the button on the fob. The keyless entry is therefore of no use whatsoever and simply makes cars less secure. If I was buying a car new, I'd be asking if it was possible to disable the keyless function.

Papyrus

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 25, 2024, 03:31:31 AM@Papyrus Being in possession of such, I'd like to know more please, Chris.
PM me if your rant isn't fit for the open forum ;)

Well, it wasn't really going to be a rant. but I can make it one if you want! A few days ago (about the time I was wrestling with Ticketmaster, actually), my car very thoughtfully told me I needed to change the key battery. I always keep a couple of spares for this very reason, so I dutifully did as I was told, whereupon the key stopped working altogether! Tried another battery... dead. Thinking that the batteries had been in my possession for a while, I thought they might have lost a bit of charge, although they were well within the use by date, so I bought some more and that still made no difference. Fortunately, we have 2 keys, so we were able to use the car. I took it to the local garage and asked what I was doing wrong. They took out the 'new' battery and put in a 'new' one. Bingo! It now works. You explain it.

This is in addition to what others have said about having to keep the key in a cocoa tin to prevent the car being nicked. I don't bother with this - the car is kept in my garage which is 40 metres away from the house, and it's not a desirable make anyway (Skoda). I just think the additional layer of technology is totally unnecessary, especially when you consider that the key fob contains a 'proper' key anyway, so what is the point?

Rant over. Next!

Cheers,

Chris

RailGooner

For the vast majority of keyless fob car lock systems:

• Pressing the 'Lock' button once will lock the car and enable keyless entry, such that approaching the vehicle with the key fob will unlock it - no need to press any buttons on the fob. It's this state that is exploited by 'relay theft'.
  • Pressing the 'Lock' button twice will lock the car and disable keyless entry. In this state 'relay theft' will fail. You'll need to press the 'Unlock' button or use the key to unlock the car.

No need to waste any money on faraday boxes, or worry needlessly. Just RTFM.

Newportnobby

Quote from: RailGooner on March 25, 2024, 06:18:56 PMPressing the 'Lock' button twice will lock the car and disable keyless entry. In this state 'relay theft' will fail. You'll need to press the 'Unlock' button or use the key to unlock the car.

My Qashqai actually has no keys/keyholes. It's purely key fob entry

Trainfish

Quote from: Papyrus on March 25, 2024, 05:34:21 PMThey took out the 'new' battery and put in a 'new' one. Bingo! It now works. You explain it.

In my experience of replacing several key fob batteries for different cars I find the solution is to use a decent make, eg Duracell as many of the others simply don't work.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

PaulCheffus

Quote from: RailGooner on March 25, 2024, 06:18:56 PMFor the vast majority of keyless fob car lock systems:

• Pressing the 'Lock' button once will lock the car and enable keyless entry, such that approaching the vehicle with the key fob will unlock it - no need to press any buttons on the fob. It's this state that is exploited by 'relay theft'.
  • Pressing the 'Lock' button twice will lock the car and disable keyless entry. In this state 'relay theft' will fail. You'll need to press the 'Unlock' button or use the key to unlock the car.

Hi

Doesn't work for my car Hyundai i30n 2023 model. Pressing the lock button twice using the key fob does indeed lock the car and the indicators blink twice, however with the key fob in my pocket I can open the car by pressing the button on the handle.

I'll continue with my Faraday pouch.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 25, 2024, 06:55:29 PM
Quote from: RailGooner on March 25, 2024, 06:18:56 PMPressing the 'Lock' button twice will lock the car and disable keyless entry. In this state 'relay theft' will fail. You'll need to press the 'Unlock' button or use the key to unlock the car.

I suspect it actually has. There should be an emergency key in the fob, with a release catch, and probably part of the handle trim pops off to reveal the key hole.

(My sister had a Cashcow)
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Newportnobby

Quote from: emjaybee on March 26, 2024, 02:33:50 PM

I suspect it actually has. There should be an emergency key in the fob, with a release catch, and probably part of the handle trim pops off to reveal the key hole.

By Heck - you is quite right. Both fobs have a key hidden inside 'em but more embarrassingly I found a keyhole on the driver's side I'd not noticed before. Just shows my powers of observation are minimal :-[
There is no keyhole passenger side but who needs passengers anyway >:D
(Yes, yes, yes - I know once I've opened the car they can get in))

Papyrus

Quote from: Trainfish on March 26, 2024, 12:56:40 AMIn my experience of replacing several key fob batteries for different cars I find the solution is to use a decent make, eg Duracell as many of the others simply don't work.

The Duracell ones were what I bought. I can only assume I was doing something stoopid. And, before you ask, I had removed the little piece of sticky paper.

Cheers,

Chris

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 26, 2024, 03:01:20 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on March 26, 2024, 02:33:50 PM

By Heck - you is quite right. Both fobs have a key hidden inside 'em but more embarrassingly I found a keyhole on the driver's side I'd not noticed before. Just shows my powers of observation are minimal :-[
There is no keyhole passenger side but who needs passengers anyway >:D
(Yes, yes, yes - I know once I've opened the car they can get in))

Ta-da!
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Trainfish

Quote from: Papyrus on March 26, 2024, 06:07:17 PM
Quote from: Trainfish on March 26, 2024, 12:56:40 AMIn my experience of replacing several key fob batteries for different cars I find the solution is to use a decent make, eg Duracell as many of the others simply don't work.

The Duracell ones were what I bought. I can only assume I was doing something stoopid. And, before you ask, I had removed the little piece of sticky paper.

Cheers,

Chris

Something stoopid you say? Ok, here are a couple of possibilities  :D

Did you put the battery in the right way up?
Did you put the cover back on the fob before trying it as some have a battery contact on the cover.

I'm not trying to be a smart arse but you did say it could be something stoopid  :laughabovepost:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Trainfish

Quote from: Trainfish on March 24, 2024, 03:02:01 PMSounds like the 'norm' for tickets these days unfortunately @Papyrus. I also print out the so called e-tickets just in case the system is down when I get there. I do this for any tickets including rail. I remember a little while back when the rail ticketing system went down in London (possibly the rest of the country too) and nobody could access their tickets during rush hour.

Back to Octopus. In 'fairness' they have today responded withing 15 minutes to my latest email and say they have logged an official complaint for me. They have said they can't refund more than the credit which is in my account as of now but I think they've completely missed my point in that if they hadn't taken the extra payment then my account would have been £225 or thereabouts in credit at the time of my payment on the 10th. The next point I will raise with them is that if I hadn't changed my payment date then the £225 would still be in my account and not theirs. As I see it this is 100% their mistake in taking 2 payments and not mine for changing the payment date. Unless of course anyone here disagrees?

Issue resolved  :D

They have offered me £60 credit on my account which takes my balance just over the £225 meaning they can/will now refund the £225 and I have had £60 worth of free gas and electric which lasted about 8.13 days by my calculations.
I do wonder though if it had needed £80 (or more) to take my balance over the £225 would they then have refunded that amount instead? If the answer is yes and I had known I would have had the heating on full blast for the past 2 weeks.
John

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations