When Were Station Underpasses First Used?

Started by Artisan, September 18, 2019, 11:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artisan

I have searched on the internet but have not found a satisfactory answer. Can anyone tell me when station underpasses were first used? I am building a new layout with a small three platform terminus station without a canopy. the era will be around 1900. I favour the idea of underpasses between the platforms instead of overhead footbridges but I want it to look historically correct. I would be grateful if anyone could help me.

Best regards
Greg

chrism

Quote from: Artisan on September 18, 2019, 11:27:55 AM
I have searched on the internet but have not found a satisfactory answer. Can anyone tell me when station underpasses were first used? I am building a new layout with a small three platform terminus station without a canopy. the era will be around 1900. I favour the idea of underpasses between the platforms instead of overhead footbridges but I want it to look historically correct. I would be grateful if anyone could help me.

Reading had one from 1898 onwards, when they stopped using a single platform for all trains.

Artisan

Best regards
Greg

Bealman

What an interesting question, and one I've never even thought about!

Thanks for kicking off this thread! :thumbsup:

It should lead to a wealth of information!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

crewearpley40

rugby wcml

warrington bank quay

spring to mind !!!!

Steven B

Rugby (1885) is quite late opening compared to some with underpasses:
1839 - Littleborough
1840 - Hebden Bridge
1841 - Todmorden
1860 - Great Malvern
1860 - Worcester Foregate Street

Steven B.

RailGooner

:hmmm: If a Terminus, why the need for either footbridge or underpass? :confused2:

railsquid

Quote from: RailGooner on September 18, 2019, 01:02:03 PM
:hmmm: If a Terminus, why the need for either footbridge or underpass? :confused2:

Indeed, I was wondering that as well, normally there wouldn't be much need to change platform at a terminus.

Quote from: Steven B on September 18, 2019, 12:35:38 PM
1860 - Worcester Foregate Street

Dunno if that counts as having an underpass, as in a pedestrian tunnel between platforms, as the station is on a viaduct.

Michael Shillabeer

AlexanderJesse

Sounds like quite from the beginning certain stations wer built with one of the two solutions.
Are there documents that show the reasoning why the respective solution was used?
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Remember: vapour is just water and therefor clean

RailGooner

Quote from: railsquid on September 18, 2019, 01:45:38 PM

Indeed, I was wondering that as well, normally there wouldn't be much need to change platform at a terminus.

And where there is a need, one could just walk toward the station building where one can access any platform - as I've done when changing trains/platforms at Marylebone, Victoria, and Paddington.

crewearpley40

Didcot parkway would that count. Remember once descending the steep stairs into somewhat uninviting gloom

woodbury22uk

But they exist at London Marylebone, London Kings Cross, London Paddington etc. Some locations the bridge accessed platforms and buildings.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

RailGooner

Quote from: woodbury22uk on September 18, 2019, 02:41:37 PM

But they exist at London Marylebone, London Kings Cross, London Paddington etc. Some locations the bridge accessed platforms and buildings.

I don't deny they exist Mike. I just don't see why they exist. To me, they appear to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Perhaps the problem has remained solved for such a long time, that the problem has been forgotten.

Fair play to Artisan for seeking to make his station as prototypically correct as possible. But I can't contemplate the question 'when?' without also contemplating the question 'why?'.

woodbury22uk

I guess one reason would be transfer between long distance and suburban services, withoutfighting the crowds on the concourse.  Arrive at Paddington non-stop from Reading or Swindon, and take the local back to Hayes.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations