Moon landing - 50 years

Started by Bealman, July 11, 2019, 07:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Quote from: chrism on July 21, 2019, 08:11:54 AM
Quote from: Bealman on July 21, 2019, 06:14:04 AM
A couple of pages from my 1969 diary....

It would appear the young Bealman was a very active young lad in those days.... climbing over Striding Edge one day, and brewing beer another!

Pity his diary didn't have a spool chucker   :P

Yeah, I noticed that - good job I wasn't doing English in me A levels  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

crewearpley40

Bit like a few old sports programmes, cuttings and items that were passed down to me. I keejp mine in a plastic folder now

rogerdB

I subscribed to Life magazine in the late '60s and kept hundreds of pages bound into four heavy volumes. They recorded the disasters of the decade as well as the high points, so here's the issue of 20th February 1967 recording the Apollo 1 pad fire.

A better story to report, the flight of Apollo 8 from the 20th January 1969 issue.

And Apollo 11 featured on August 18th.

crewearpley40

Is it worth anything? To a collector?

Bealman

Thanks, Roger.

The Apollo 8 mission was covered in the May 1969 issue of National Geographic, and eleven in the December issue of the same year.

I had both issues (nicked from Houghton-le-Spring grammar school), but we'll not go there.

I don't have them any more, unfortunately, but the December issue had a state of the art (back then) very thin plastic double sided 45 rpm called "Sounds of the Space Age."

Lost that, too  :(

rogerdB

Quote from: crewearpley40 on July 21, 2019, 10:47:39 AM
Is it worth anything? To a collector?

I guess if I had kept the complete issue it might have been. But I kept just the articles I wanted and bound them into a 'book'. The whole year is a tome of about 900 pages and I have four year's worth. They are fascinating reading and a snapshot of the time. I spotted an article about a fantastic new idea - home recording on video tape! And this at a time when the BBC couldn't afford to keep recordings of their tv coverage of Apollo 11; instead the tapes were wiped and re-used.

crewearpley40

Thank you roger. Over and out

Bealman

Yes, most definitely a snapshot of the time.

As far as collectors items go, your mags are like models. Take them out of the original box and they ain't worth nowt.

Sorry, lapsed into my grammar school English there  ;)

broadsword

Shortly after the moon landings I  bought a set of 35MM slides which had been duplicated from the original 6x6 pix.
I viewed with a  projector  , just brilliant.

Chetcombe

I had a very pleasant Saturday evening spent watching the Smithsonian channel as it tracked through the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions. It culminated with Neil Armstrong putting his boot on the lunar surface at 9.56pm Eastern time, exactly 50 years to the minute after it all happened - nice touch! I have to say I had forgotten that the missions were so close together, but given JFKs deadline of the end of the decade I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

I was 5 and a quarter years old in July 1969 (at that age every 3 months counts!!!). I remember the moon landings vividly on a grainy black and white TV at home in South London. I also remember Apollo 13, especially being amazed at how long it seemed to drag on (although at that age two weeks would have felt like a lifetime). But what I sadly don't remember is whether my moon landing memories include Apollo 11 or not :( Neither of my parents is still alive to help me remember and my only sibling is a few years younger.

So I have no idea whether I would have remembered what happened when I was 5 and a quarter years old...
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bealman

Cheer up, mate.... I was making home brew at the time!  :beers:

Bealman

Five years before I arrived at my new home..... and now!!!!

crewearpley40

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations