Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.

Started by longbridge, November 22, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mereman

I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

Stuart

To be honest I am happier with 00 gauge however I just don't have the space to build a decent EMU based layout, so I came to N gauge. A bit of a blow to see how little Southern stock there is in comparison with 00. The forthcoming N class and the  Bulleid coaches made my mind up for me.
Stuart.. ;)

trkilliman

I overheard a conversation in Kernows shop the other day. Talking about 00 they both said they felt manufacturers are now having to look harder for something to model that will have wide appeal. We may (hopefully) find ourselves in this position in Years to come. The current standard of locos is light years away from what we accepted not that many Years back. This should attract new devotees to N, increased sales and more new models. I still think that an existing large player in 00 will enter N gauge before too long. Nothing to back this up mind you, just my gut feeling. This could be via the acquisition of an existing manufacturer, or through a company already in their portfolio and producing Continental N gauge.

Skids

Spent the weekend at a model train show that I have attended for the last 5 years. Spent a lot of time working on an OO for father in Law. There were a few other scale set ups but there were a few N Gauges.

So I just decided that I would surprise him by doing my own layout and space wise I can easily do an N gauge. Have lots of fun doing it and keep it hidden from him when he is at my house.

Plus after the show I was so impressed at the amount of detail in N gauge that I was hooked.

And as a bonus the wife thinks its a great idea, bonus

beestie

same as every on else really , space and i think they look more realistic , i will admit to building german outline in HO with my dad , but i am a convert to the electric mice !

added bonus girls think oo is nerdy , first word out when the see my 14xx CUTE!
i rest my case . :D
James Beeston(aka mrjamestrain)

Agrippa

I think the answer is space (The final frontier), the ability to run full length passenger trains in a reasonably sized
layout which can fit into your living space if you don't have a large cellar, loft or shed for a OO layout. Cost does not have much bearing on it, indeed some small Hornby OO locos are cheap as chips, also the range of OO products is greater and kits are easier to build. 

I'm not convinced about the appearance argument as logically this would mean that Z gauge would be more
realistic than N  (excluding the couplers) , and so on down to T gauge !

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Michael Hendle

Hi :hellosign:
I used to have 00 gauge but since my stroke a couple of years ago I moved into sheltered accomodation,but it is to small for 00,so down sized to a n gauge diorama type model railway,it is a small branch line terminus with a sector plate.
I have 4 loco's 1 Dapol 1400,the new Dapol Pannier Tank,1 Dapol Q1 and just bought a Union Mills Adams 0395.
The later one for nostalger sake, I remember them shunting the coal yard at Hounslow in the 1950's

Mike  :A1Tornado:

Newportnobby

Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum :wave:
It would be great to see some pics of your layout. If you need help with that, our FAQ's has all the answers :thumbsup:

beestie

again  :welcomesign:Mike , nice selection of stock , withered arm perhaps?

Caz

Welcome to the friendly forum Mike, use the search option to dig out previous posts on anything you may have not seen and don't forget on here there is no such thing as a silly question, just one you don't currently know the answer to.
:welcomesign:
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Michael Hendle

:hellosign: All,

Many thanks for the warm welcome,at present my layout is only in the track laying stage,it not really based on any particular branch line,due to space limitations the 2 southern 0-6-0's will be the largest loco's I can use,and coaching stock the platform a 0-6-0 and 2 57ft  coaches.

I couldn't find any SR coaches so have got a Collett SK and BCK,and a Dapol Auto Coach to go with the 1400.

Once again :thankyousign: for the warm

Michael :A1Tornado:

beestie

hi mike , i think your southern 0-6-0's are the farish gp tank . and i think farish are bringing out some southern coaching stock? i maybe wrong .

Michael Hendle

Hi James,
My Southern  0-6-0nLoco's are a Dapol Q1 and a Union Mills Adams 0395,I'm old enough to remember the Adams 0-6-0 shunting the coal sidings at Hounslow in the early 1950's,the were sheded at Feltham

Mike

beestie

Quote from: Michael Hendle on September 20, 2013, 07:31:27 PM
Hi James,
My Southern  0-6-0nLoco's are a Dapol Q1 and a Union Mills Adams 0395,I'm old enough to remember the Adams 0-6-0 shunting the coal sidings at Hounslow in the early 1950's,the were sheded at Feltham

Mike
ah yes you said earlier , :dunce: sorry i had farish on my mind , yes madness comes with n gauge or so i have heard!  :P

Chris in Prague

I had an 00 trainset when I was a child but there was no room for a proper layout on a baseboard but there was for a N Gauge layout so I had a Minitrix Class 27, Lima and Minitrix coaches, and Minitrix and Peco wagons, a kitbuilt Hymek on an excellent German powered chassis and, finally, an excellent Minitrix Warship, and a Farish GWR Hall  all running on Peco Setrack points and flexi track. (All long since gone, alas. I miss the Warship, in particular.)

30 years later, buying and reading a lot of books on the Withered Arm the idea of a layout based on a town in North Cornwall grew and grew and, with it, the realisation that the standard of the models out there has greatly improved. The domestic planning authorities agreed to a baseboard stored under the double bed and Penmayn was born . . . and the rolling stock acquisition program began.

On the minus side, I have to learn about DCC and electronics (not something that concerned me 30 years ago!).

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations