Paypal

Started by Papyrus, December 09, 2020, 08:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papyrus

Opinions, please, folks...

Paypal is a brilliant concept and I am happy to use it regularly. However, a very minor hiccup occurred recently (not involving anybody on this forum I would like to quickly add, and I didn't lose any money) and it made me think. The email address I use for my Paypal transactions is the same as my everyday email - should it be? Is it better to use a completely separate email address and restrict it to Paypal? What do other people do?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Chris

Leon

Chris, I use the same email address on everything; banks, credit card companies, etc. I've never had a problem. It's my understanding that use of the email address for logins, or for use as site IDs doesn't in anyway compromise the security of your system. Some sites insist on your normal email address. I think it's all about pushing adverts to your computer. I'll be interested to hear the opinions of others, however.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

dannyboy

I have never really thought about my email address in that context before. I have different, or slightly different, passwords for just about everything, (I use 'LastPass'), but the same email for probably 95% of my internetting.  :hmmm:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

ntpntpntp

Most sites have moved away from separate user names and will expect your email address as the account name.  I guess it's easier to remember, and makes it easier to handle "reset my password" requests etc. as the request must go to the registered email for verification.

Obviously don't use the same password everywhere! 
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Malc

I own the domain name I use for emails. The format is xxxx@malc....co.uk. If I am logging onto a site like PayPal, I use Pay@malc....   If I am logging onto the Royal Mail track and trace, I use RM@malc....  I caught out NTP car parks selling my email address because I got some spam addressed to NCP@.."
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

I have and use only the one e mail address but loads of different passwords. Specifically on Paypal, when I buy something I get notification of payment from Paypal which I file. Likewise I get order acknowledgements for all purchases from the vendor so the one address is pretty much vital.
My brain cell couldn't handle more then one, anyway :no:

Papyrus

Thanks for the replies, chaps. I shall carry on as before while remaining vigilant!

Cheers,

Chris

njee20

I'm not sure I quite understand why it would ever be a problem to have your PayPal email address as your 'everyday' one? Obviously with unique passwords!

east anglian

Pay   Pall   I   use  the   same   E  Mail  address   but   use   a   different   credit  card  soley  for   Pay   Pall    which   I   have   a   limit  on,  any   more   than   the   limit   has   to   be   authorised   via    my    bank

OffshoreAlan

I use three e-mail addresses - one for finance (banks, PayPal, etc.), one for a club which I run, and one for everything else including online shopping. That way it's only the last which gets really loads of junk, and my secure transactions are a bit ring-fenced. Just my personal preference, not sure it achieves anything security-wise.

Papyrus

Quote from: njee20 on December 11, 2020, 01:27:36 PM
I'm not sure I quite understand why it would ever be a problem to have your PayPal email address as your 'everyday' one? Obviously with unique passwords!

Everything you buy online requires your email address, and no matter how hard you try and tick the boxes that say "Don't give my details to third parties", spam still gets through from all sorts of unlikely sources. So if they can get your email address, they are halfway to getting to your Paypal. Yes, my Paypal password is unique, but it could still be circumvented if somebody was clever and determined enough. I was considering a solution along the lines of @OffshoreAlan 's arrangement but I'm not sure how much extra security it would give.

Food for thought.

Thanks again,

Chris

NScaleNotes

I think I understand what the problem might be you're describing but I don't think it'll make that much difference outside of the odd chancer having a go at guessing your password.
Out in the wild it's not one guy sitting at a computer trying to guess an account name and then a password. It's massive automated systems (botnets) trying to guess passwords with a list of 'verified' usernames acquired from somewhere else (if I remember my computer security terms I think it's known as a brute force attack).
Hopefully whatever system they are attacking has password attempt limits or some other form of authentification that prevents them guessing until they are correct.

So as others say just make sure your password is nice and secure.
It's best to use a long password with a mix of uppercase, lowercase, numbers and at least one symbol and use a different password for each account.

Newportnobby

If I decided to change my mail address I would lose count of the number of companies I'd have to inform who I have accounts with. Most times I buy as a 'guest' unless I think I'll buy more from them and then raise an account. Needless to say most of them are model railway retailers!

njee20

Yes I agree, I'm not sure you're really preventing anything there, but if it makes you feel more secure do whatever you want!

And remember, within reason, that length trumps complexity when it comes to passwords. The whole "adding symbols and capitals" holds true against someone guessing your password, but as above, that's literally never a thing. "Ireallyreallylikengaugetrains" is many times more secure than "NG&ug3tR@!n5", and markedly easier to remember.

jthjth

I too have my own domain and use paypal@..... for PayPal transactions. It's very useful for easily spotting all those phising emails that claim to come from PayPal, as they invariably get sent to my main email address and not the paypal@.... address.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations