Dapol Maunsell coaches

Started by Dorsetmike, September 12, 2013, 08:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

According to my Collector's Guide..............

2P-014-001 4 coach set (set 193)
2P-014-002 6 coach set (set 456)
2P-014-003 Brake Composite (3730
2P-014-004 Corridor Composite (5635)
2P-014-005 Corridor First (7228)
2P-014-006 Corridor 3rd/2nd (1122)

All in SR Olive green

Chris in Prague

Many thanks. Now I need to find which retailer is selling them the cheapest!

Dorsetmike

If anybody is interested I have a few spare etched brass Maunsell open 3rds and Ironclad Restaurant car sides, also some vinyl overlays for them in SR 1930s olive green. I had to buy full sheets of both etches 12 coaches to a sheet, only really need about 4 of each.
The sides will fit Dapol Maunsells Farish "main line" or possibly BHE coach accessories (sides floor, roof ends etc - may have to cut to length)
I also have some bogie side frames for Urie/Maunsell bogie tenders, I use them when hacking a BHE N15 tender to take a Union Mills drive.
Cheers MIKE
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Dorsetmike

As part of my downsizing exercise for moving into sheltered accomodation I'm making a much smaller semi portable layout 4'6"x 2'6", a double oval small station with bay and goods shed, this has meant using sharper curves on the inner track, which seems like I may have to abandon Dapol Maunsells unless there is a work around.
Has anybody figured how to persuade Dapol coaches to take R1 curves?
I can see two possible reasons, first the mechanism they use to move the coupling, second it looks as though the wheels foul the bodywork stopping the bogies from swinging further.
I've contemplated possible solutions such as using smaller wheels, or putting a spacing washer or two between the bogie and the chassis, or somehow disabling the coupling swivelling mechanism.
A more drastic solution would be to get some older Farish coach chassis and put the Dapol bodies on them.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

dodger

Before you embark on any modifications, unless Dapol have made any changes to later batches. I think they will negotiate R1 curves.

I have less room than you and the largest curve I can use is Kato 183mm (7 3/8 inch). I have 3 BR livered coaches BSK, SK & BCK from early batches and they run without any problems.

Dodger

Dorsetmike

Thanks for that, I've tried another Dapol Maunsell today, that goes fine, just sod's law I picked a dodgy one for testing.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations