Spraying in cool/cold weather.

Started by emjaybee, November 18, 2019, 10:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

I've got a few projects on the go at the moment, and in the not too distant future, colour/lacquer will need to be applied. I use Halfords rattle cans, which I have been very happy with as regards both finish and colour.

The issue is that they say the cans should be used in warm, dry weather. I do my spraying in my workshop which is an old stable. It's relatively draft free, but has no heating.

Has anyone got any pointers/tips/solutions to this issue to allow me to continue projects. I really can't afford to wait until March before progressing.

:wave:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

exmouthcraig

Cover the dining room table with polythene sheet and then a decent thick tablecloth.
Whack the heating up to 26°
Do all your spraying and you should be far enough away from the kitchen to make it there, enjoy a decent cuppa and get back before it's ready for another coat!

Unless of course your good lady is like mine!!! Get yourself a space heater and keep the temperature about 15°-20° and your onto a winner

emjaybee

Perhaps should have added the following:

My wife has a chronic respiratory problem. If I wish to use a spray deodarant or after-shave I have to stand outside the back door and apply it, failure to do so results in a massive coughing attack followed by a world class bollocking. Hence the back door way smells equally of Hai-Karate and Brut (ah how we miss Henry)!

So applying spray of any sort indoors would result in a divorce (which would ironically clear the road-block, no, no, think positive).

:hmmm:
Brookline build thread:

RailGooner

:idea: How about a tent, erected in the workshop. The tent MUST be flame retardant. A canvas tent would be ideal. Then you heat the small (ish) volume of the tent only. Could work(?). :hmmm:

stevewalker

emjaybee

Quote from: RailGooner on November 18, 2019, 11:26:42 PM
:idea: How about a tent, erected in the workshop. The tent MUST be flame retardant. A canvas tent would be ideal. Then you heat the small (ish) volume of the tent only. Could work(?). :hmmm:

Yeah, about that. I can barely get in my own workshop, erecting a tent may prove problematic, but I do like the concept.

Quote from: stevewalker on November 18, 2019, 11:40:41 PM
Or send SWMBO out for the day  ;)

It's not worth dying over. (Her or me!)

Brookline build thread:

LASteve

Quote from: emjaybee on November 18, 2019, 10:48:21 PM
... they say the cans should be used in warm, dry weather ...
:wave:
I can't quite grasp this - Halfords are a UK company, right? Do they expect you to only use the cans three days out of the year? Do a test run and see what happens. I can't quite believe that the paint is so sensitive that it won't work in Britain?  :confusedsign: :confusedsign: If that really is the case get a refund and find something else. I could understand the warning if you were resurfacing the Hubble space telescope, but really?  ???

exmouthcraig

The temperature relates to can pressure, obviously too cold and the paint will clog the spray nozzle and splatter.
It mostly refers to the colour coats as they produce no sheen if applied in cold conditions.

The disclaimers are to protect Mr Neal and his company from people attempting to sue his business because the colour wasnt perfect.

It was in the press a couple of years ago some lady smashed the back of her Peugeot up and her husband decided to try to fix it himself. The panel looked like it had been beaten with a rock and he bought 10 cans of Halfords version of the paint colour. Naturally it didn't match but most probably because this monkey didn't know what he was doing. He then tried to sue Halfords for selling inferior products and ruining his car!!!

@emjaybee have you looked at the mini spraybooths?? I have one with the extract to fresh air and they do work very well. Sub £100 and Santas not far off coming if the family wanted to get you something you really need ????

LASteve

Quote from: exmouthcraig on November 19, 2019, 07:22:29 AM
The temperature relates to can pressure, obviously too cold and the paint will clog the spray nozzle and splatter.
It mostly refers to the colour coats as they produce no sheen if applied in cold conditions.

The disclaimers are to protect Mr Neal and his company from people attempting to sue his business because the colour wasnt perfect.

It was in the press a couple of years ago some lady smashed the back of her Peugeot up and her husband decided to try to fix it himself. The panel looked like it had been beaten with a rock and he bought 10 cans of Halfords version of the paint colour. Naturally it didn't match but most probably because this monkey didn't know what he was doing. He then tried to sue Halfords for selling inferior products and ruining his car!!!

Thanks for the explanation. Did the lady smash the car up because she spilled coffee in her lap and then sued because there wasn't a warning on the cup that it was hot?

exmouthcraig

Undoubtedly. Packaging has to be so big now just to make sure all the legal stuff gets applied!!!

Crazy world we live in!!

Maybe if some forum members in sunny places around the world like I dont know, California, could put us up for a few days over winter we could come to sunnier warmer climes and do all of our painting in perfect conditions   :bounce:

Bealman

I'd just go out in backyard and spray the bloody thing.

It's N gauge, I don't think you're gonna cause climate change.

I'd make sure the wind was right and no white shirts and sheets hanging on the line next door though  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

exmouthcraig

Thought you were going to offer your backyard then George  :D

I wouldnt say no to another Christmas in Oz!! Might even bring Mrs EC with me!!!

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RailGooner

Applying paint in sub-optimal temperatures can result in an effect known as blooming. Blooming is likely to occur as the paint dries - so all methods of paint application are susceptible.

On a relatively smooth large surface like a car body panel, one can polish out the blooming. On a small surface like an N model, with lots of contour changes and detail... I'd rather avoid blooming in the first place. Perhaps do a test - paint in the workshop and remove to a warmer environment while the paint cures(?).

The tent idea I posted earlier, came to mind from an experience when once deployed in an air-conditioned 10 man tent. One chap found it too cold, so he erected a solo tent within the 10 man tent.

LASteve

Quote from: RailGooner on November 19, 2019, 08:14:39 AM

The tent idea I posted earlier, came to mind from an experience when once deployed in an air-conditioned 10 man tent. One chap found it too cold, so he erected a solo tent within the 10 man tent.
i'd be two tents to go to sleep if I did that. I'd be worried one of my tents would be a past tense tent before morning.  :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations