what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeeBee

Having finally unearthed my controllers I am running in 5 locomotives and servicing my others this could take a few days Ho Humm
Graham

Bealman

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on December 28, 2013, 02:48:20 PM
OK so I got bored waiting for the non arrival of the postman. So I looked at a few free downloads and found this one. I may now have to move the location nearer to the metropolis to fit it in.

Now all I need is a 2mm model of the Dagmar, ok so I haven't watched it since 1980 ish.

Free download from Kingsway models (old xmas freebees)

That's quite nice for free, isn't it. You've done a good job on it, too!  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ParkeNd

Surfaced one platform with Plasticard embossed card but had to skin the bottom of the platform as well because it bowed a bit. Thought I could get away with it because it was ply - WRONG !!

port perran

Just Started to construct the Metcalfe stone station building.
This is the first stage in completely renewing the whole of my main station as it was the very first thing I built (some 4 years ago) and I have learned a lot since then so hopefully, that area will be smartened up. Even including platform and building lights if I can eventually get my head around lighting !
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

Sounds good - let's have a look when we get the forum sorted!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

lil chris

I have been working hard over christmas on my layout. I have built and pre fabricated a new dcc bus for my goods yard. Also started to build the track to my second level and have finally decided the track plan. I never did get to grips with anyrail so just build as I go along. I have also now recieved a new iwata neo airbrush for christmas from swmbo (my lovely wife), so now I can get on with finishing my track and when I get bored of more ballasting have a go at weathering my stock. I will post some pics in the near future.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

DCCDave

Painting fiddle yard baseboards matt black. Looks good when dry, but hard on the eyes when checking coverage.

2nd coat required methinks!

Cheers
Dave

port perran

Quote from: Bealman on December 30, 2013, 12:16:16 AM
Sounds good - let's have a look when we get the forum sorted!  :thumbsup:
This is the area I want to rebuild with a  new station building (I think the Metcalfe stone built station better suits my Cornish scenery) and new platforms. I will also realign the track slightly and reballast to a neater standard. Also need to paint the tracksides. Altogether it needs to be neater and tidier.

This is progress on the new station building. Probably finish it tomorrow :

tutenkhamunsleeping

[smg id=9135]

Work proceeds a(snails)pace on the fiddle yard.  In an effort to give it a scenic dimension (this is the age of the onboard camera, after all) I've bunged in a Kato ready-to-plonk station.  At the cost of one track's width, this gives me somewhere to park my Japanese EMUs from time to time :)

[smg id=9136]

Just around the corner from the first shot is this junction, nicknamed Gallifrey West for the time being due to the elastic nature of the space-time continuum in the area.  The grey concrete-based track to the bottom right marks the place for a third Kato double-crossover that I haven't actually ordered as yet.  The few wooden offcuts are a place-holder for an over bridge.

If you look closely the nearest point has been chopped with a razor saw to remove the diverging curved part.  The two tracks on the right lead to the station and are now DCC enabled.  The leftmost tracks remain plain DC until I get some more N-sized decoders. ::)

port perran

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on December 31, 2013, 01:14:58 PM
[smg id=9135]

Work proceeds a(snails)pace on the fiddle yard.  In an effort to give it a scenic dimension (this is the age of the onboard camera, after all) I've bunged in a Kato ready-to-plonk station.  At the cost of one track's width, this gives me somewhere to park my Japanese EMUs from time to time :)

[smg id=9136]

I like the idea of adding scenic detail to fiddle yards so well done. indeed, I've considered doing it myself but have been worried that the fiddle yard will become and extra scenic section on the layout.

CarriageShed

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on December 31, 2013, 01:14:58 PM
Just around the corner from the first shot is this junction, nicknamed Gallifrey West for the time being due to the elastic nature of the space-time continuum in the area.

I like it. ;)

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: port perran on December 31, 2013, 04:39:08 PM
I like the idea of adding scenic detail to fiddle yards so well done. indeed, I've considered doing it myself but have been worried that the fiddle yard will become and extra scenic section on the layout.

Yes, that worries me too :worried: so I aim to keep things very simple - monochromatic, geometric shapes mainly, to block views of rafters and wiring, and make it a little more onboard camera friendly.

Trouble is, I tend to go off on tangents. I've been looking at the following photo and thinking perhaps I can make it a little more like Stow Heath in Wolverhampton :no:

D1747 at Stow Heath

ParkeNd

Finished the Plastikard surfaces of the platforms today so getting ready to start painting.

My thread on the subject was totally ignored so I guessed the paint colours and ordered from Hattons.  IOf they are the wrong colours this is all your fault. So there.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18387.0

I knew I should have asked something obscure about soldering.!!

tutenkhamunsleeping

Just been trouble-shooting, as not all of the DCC-enabled track seems to be working.  The fault seems to be with a connector I'd dismantled to see how it (no longer) worked :-[

http://youtu.be/sj0ruPXwBLw

Took a quick video while playing about.  A bit dark now I've added various obstructions, I think I either need to get some more lighting at the back of the fiddle yard or pretend it's Birmingham New Street :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations