Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.

Started by longbridge, November 22, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabpal32

lack of space as the better half wont let me have the spare bedroom so im in the shed most nights :claphappy:

longbridge

I have been building N gauge layouts for years but decided to trade all of my equipment in on HO scale models, I am at an advanced stage with my HO layout and hope to start work on a new British N Gauge layout in a3 weeks time.

I guess what I am trying to say is I have experienced the dark side and have once again seen the light, IMO N gauge looks the most realistic of the popular gauges, that is what attracted me to it in the first place and its nice to be on the way back.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Bealman

Quote from: fabpal32 on April 28, 2014, 11:10:37 PM
lack of space as the better half wont let me have the spare bedroom so im in the shed most nights :claphappy:
Haha you and me both but at least you have a shed. Better than the garage, I reckon.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

longbridge

Quote from: Bealman on April 29, 2014, 08:22:38 AM
Quote from: fabpal32 on April 28, 2014, 11:10:37 PM
Haha you and me both but at least you have a shed. Better than the garage, I reckon.

There must be a lot of shed dwellers out there, I love having my layout in the shed especially when SWMBO is feeling a little hormonal  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daveg

Quote from: Bealman on April 29, 2014, 08:27:52 AM
No comment from me :-X

It's OK George, we wouldn't tell anyone; honest!  :laughabovepost:

Dave G

Stuart

Initially space, however I am finding N is a bit too delicate, and my fingers are just unable to make the jump from 00 gauge. So I am back into the larger stuff.
What made my mind up is the Dapol 33011 breaking down for the second time, with the same "loose front driver" problem as before. Nothing but praise for my CEPs but its a big thumbs down for Dapol.
Recent buys are a Thumper, MLV, 2Bil, and an N class all 00 gauge. I will have to live with the limited space. :sorrysign: But back to 00 for me.

Stuart. ;)

Newportnobby

Great shame, Stuart, but don't let it stop you joining us here :no:

johnsom

I did try 'Z' gauge for a while - limited Loco's - track - poor running reliability etc - thought it would save space - but after trying 'Z' found out that space saving not much over 'N' gauge which has everything to offer.

scotrail

Northman

Firstly it takes up one quarter of the area of OO - you can get a hell of a lot of ground even on 4 x 3 feet.

Secondly it may at first seem small and fiddly but if you go up a scale the detail is also fiddly and easier to see faults :)

marco neri

Quote from: Roberto on June 23, 2014, 07:43:29 PM
Firstly it takes up one quarter of the area of OO - you can get a hell of a lot of ground even on 4 x 3 feet.

Secondly it may at first seem small and fiddly but if you go up a scale the detail is also fiddly and easier to see faults :)

...for me.....the same!...
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

scotrail

Space constraunts was my original reason but since I have made the change all the bigger scales now just seen far too big and  'wrong'

Ditape

After trying t-gauge and z and not finding either very satisfying and having modeled in n before in a small flat it was the obvious answer, having tried OO in the space I had and not getting the interest as it was a very simple layout. :NGaugersRule:
Diane Tape

UPINSMOKE

I first started with N gauge after buying a job lot in the collectors shop I ran some 12 years ago. Had never seen it before so did not know what to pay for it at the time, so just pluck a figure out my head and don e the deal. Later to find out that what I had bought was well below the s/h asking price at the time. I eventually decided to keep it as I liked it so much. I kept on buying as and when I could to add to the collection. Some 4 years later I decided to attempt to start a layout with what I had accumulated over that time.

I spent about 6 months on the project, but got disinterested in it. I loved running the trains but did not get the time I needed to sort the layout out. So sold the lot. I really do regret doing that as looking at today's prices it would be worth a mint compared to what I paid for it. :censored:

I now have the bug again but not the money I once did so it a small scale setup for me, and this time I plan to finish it. :) :ngauge:
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Layout Southern Comfort - In-Progress:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23145.0

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations