Correct wheel sizes, from older pizza cutters to appropriate replacements?

Started by mickster04, October 03, 2017, 09:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red_death

Most Mk2s ran on B4 or B5 bogies didn't they? In which case should be 6.2mm not 7mm.

woodbury22uk

For privately owned freight stock the standard wheelsize from the late 1960s to the late 1980s was 37.5 inches (953mm). This applied to prototype private owner freight stock with pedestal suspension, leaf spring suspensions and 3 piece (Gloucester/ESC/ etc.)/axle motion/Schlieren/GPS bogies. The standard wheel has a new diameter of 953mm (6.44mm) and a half worn diameter of 915mm (6.18mm). International/continental Y25 and LHB-type bogies typically have new wheels which are 920mm (6.2mm) and half worn 895mm (6.05mm). Bob Davies' 6.2mm suits both these in either half worn from 953mm or new 920mm condition. But I am fairly sure that model manufacturers have compromised on wheel diameter especially so the deeper flanges do not contact underframes.

This post has been corrected to describe the half worn diameters of the wheels, which I had wrongly described in the original post.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Papyrus

Blimey! I never thought my simple question about what the wheel size meant wasn't quite so simple after all!

Thanks for the very informative replies.

Cheers,

Chris

koyli55002

woodbury22uk

I have made a couple of corrections to the meaning of the figures in post #16 above. I had described the half worn diameter as the fully worn diameter.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

bscanlon

Farish did some coaches with 7.2mm disc wheels, I have a few sets, but they never offered them as parts that I can see, and no one does a spoked wheel in that size.

A couple of newer Farish wagons had a 6.5mm disc (? rather than 3 hole, IIRC) wheel too. Cannot remember which, I only have two or three axles in that size.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations