How many locos do you own?

Started by petejones, August 02, 2018, 07:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les1952

It would be interesting to know if there is any correlation between the size of a loco fleet and the length of time the owner has been collecting/modelling.

In my case I started in TT gauge in 1963 and tried always when changing scale not to sell to fund other household projects but use the cash from selling to fund new model railway projects...

Les

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Les1952 on August 05, 2018, 08:36:57 PM
It would be interesting to know if there is any correlation between the size of a loco fleet and the length of time the owner has been collecting/modelling.

In my case I started in TT gauge in 1963 and tried always when changing scale not to sell to fund other household projects but use the cash from selling to fund new model railway projects...

Les

Yes I always recycle especially rebuilds and always sell for more than the constituent parts.

KainHarkins

65 class 60's
12 class 37's
2 class 08's
1 voyager
1 class 57
2 class 66
3 class 68
And 1 class 67

Portpatrick

Les

In my case probably yes!

njee20

Far, far fewer than many on here!

I know some like Kain above (sure he won't mind me using him as an example!) focus more heavily on locos - whilst I tend to focus more on trains, and don't tend to buy locos if I don't broadly have something for them to run with.

My somewhat out of date spreadsheet suggests:
- 31 diesels
- 6 electrics
- 15 multiple units
- 1 steam loco

About 40 coaches, plus 241 wagons, 200 of which are bogie wagons, and a good portion that have never come out of their boxes. This alone may suggest it's mildly excessive.  :-[

ntpntpntp

Yes, but it also depends if you're the type of modeller who disposes and replaces stuff if and when you change the theme of your modelling.    I know some folk do this, but I'm afraid I just hate to let go of cherished models even if they may become stored unused. This is the "collector" side of my interest taking over from the practical "modeller" side I guess. 

I'll freely admit I have way more stock than I can actively accommodate on the layout, but I can at least maintain alternate sets of locos for different exhibitions to save wearing out my favourites, and I have the choice of running older german steam and electrics, or current "modern image".  Over the 20-odd years of the current layout's life it has moved forward chronologically, with station canopies and a lift being added, plus other modern scenic features.  It's interesting to refer back to the Continental Modeller article photos from 1998 and see the differences, eg. coal trains once headed by 2-10-0s are now drawn by Blue Tigers!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

I've definitely sold more than I own, and have never done different eras. Very little 'rule 1' stock as well, it all 'fits' by and large.

Been collecting for 8 years. So that's an average of 40 new items a year. That's worrying.

Chris Morris

Quote from: PLD on August 05, 2018, 05:39:51 PM

The other concern is for those who have (perhaps naively) given a detailed list of every loco they take to exhibitions with a specified layout. Should the worst happen and one or several of those locos go AWOL at an exhibition, the insurers may ask a few awkward questions...

When the exhibition is open my locos are all under supervision; at no point are they not in view of the operator(s). When the exhibition is closed I know where my locos are kept and the only other person who knows is my brother. All my stock is marked in a way that I know but I'm not telling anyone what this marking is. So reasonably secure.

Most exhibitions quite reasonbly have photos of layouts (including locos in use) in their publicity material and websites so the stock in use is well publicised.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

The Q

A black five (which i havent paid for yet)
A J39
And a clayton type diesel loco.
To run the layout as I fully intend, then a total of about 10 locos will be needed, but no doubt others will be bought

The fiddle yard when completed will be totally hidden from the public so only those trundling around would be visible. / accessable

zopadooper

My wife bought me my first N gauge loco - Lima 0-6-0 in 1971.  I now have about 20 locos - all steam apart from a Deltic and a DMU and I am pleased to say that she bought every one of them for me.

kelstonlad

One, a GF LMS Duchess, but I only started an interest in any kind of modelling a few months ago. And I just bought a non runner cheaply, to see if I can take it to bits and put it back together again. I've also got 30 metres of flexitrack and some baseboards 3.0m x 0.7m, and a lot of crazy ideas.

daversmth

Because I have "enough" for my current layout, I only now buy something when I see a good bargain come up, which as I am sure you all know,  is a very rare occurence for n gauge locos.

Current count is 4 dmus, 1 emu, 1 steam, 9 diesels.
With computer control I can run half of them simultaneously (and fit the remainder in sidings)

I know, if you do the maths,  that is 7.5 .....
It' s an enginner's half, not a mathematician' s half.

I am just in the middle of moving house though and may have scope for a larger layout in the new house, if I behave myself.

martyn

One more than when I posted last week... :D

Martyn

JimSan

Currently only eight which are currently ready to run, though have got two more which are in the (slow) progress of conversion to other classes.
Also in the (also slow) progress of making another layout.

SR V Schools
SECR N Class
BR 4CEP/Class 411
LSWR M7
BR Class 24
SR Q1 Class
LB&SCR A1
SR Merchant Navy

and the two awaiting conversion are:
Fleischmann 7161 into a LSWR S15
Farish GP Tank into a LB&SCR E5
Bosnport - A Fictional P'Mouth and S'Sea based Layout upon a Bunk Bed
Gosport Railworks - My Youtube Channel
3D Printing Services

Primary Modelling eras/region: Era 3 '30s Southern, Era 4-5 BR(S) and Era 8 Network Southeast

ntpntpntp

Quote from: daversmth on August 06, 2018, 02:27:10 PM
...I only now buy something when I see a good bargain come up, which as I am sure you all know,  is a very rare occurence for n gauge locos.

Oh I dunno, I seem to be able to find (too) many! Depends what models float your boat I guess. There definitely are still bargains out there to be nabbed.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations