Farish postponing DP1 and NER Class E1/J72 locos

Started by njee20, January 07, 2019, 12:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Post by Andy York on RMWeb here, that the "current economic conditions" mean an indefinite "deferral".

Can't decide if the terminology is better or worse than "abeyance", but at least Dapol picked up quite quickly on their 'postponed' models.

Not fussed at all about DP1 or a J72, but a shame nonetheless. I expect a very 'light' set of announcements from Bachmann.

red_death

Haven't Farish already produced at least one if not two runs of DP1? If so they should have an idea whether stock is flying off the shelf or lingering.

Cheers M

Snowwolflair

Quote from: njee20 on January 07, 2019, 12:53:08 PM
Post by Andy York on RMWeb here, that the "current economic conditions" mean an indefinite "deferral".

Can't decide if the terminology is better or worse than "abeyance", but at least Dapol picked up quite quickly on their 'postponed' models.

Not fussed at all about DP1 or a J72, but a shame nonetheless. I expect a very 'light' set of announcements from Bachmann.

They are just making the adjustment Dapol did a year ago.  It's only to be expected. 

I suspect we might see some good discounting in the next few months as they try to clear unsold Christmas stock. :)

honk843

After the way we were spoken to at TINGs last year I am not expecting anything from Bachmann in N.  I still don't understand how they can turn their back on 20% of their European income but it does mean an opportunity for new manufacturers. I could not understand why they were doing another DP1 anymore than yet another Midland Pullman. The J72 was something I was looking forward to but maybe Dapol will resurrect theirs or the NGS show them how to do it as the basis for a steam Hunslet?

njee20

Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 07, 2019, 01:04:35 PM
They are just making the adjustment Dapol did a year ago.  It's only to be expected. 

I suspect we might see some good discounting in the next few months as they try to clear unsold Christmas stock. :)

I'm not so sure, Bachmann don't really operate the same way as Dapol in that respect, whilst Dapol regularly punt out models heavily discounted I'm not sure we'll see Bachmann doing the same.

The timing is interesting, just ahead of their new product announcements. I'm not sure they wouldn't have been better to combine the two, although I wonder if they're trying to avoid overshadowing any new announcement.

Given there are a couple of OO gauge models also being postponed I'm not sure we can use it to cry foul against N gauge, even if they don't see us as the priority market.

Roy L S

Given the length of time the Farish J72 has been in gestation with no evidence of any progress being shown, I was half expecting it to be "canned". Disappointing given that if Farish hadn't announced it we may well have had a Dapol one by now, even if not quite to the same technical spec - who knows.

The DP1 was an odd one to announce a second run on. I have one and it is an exquisite model, but would there be enough demand to soaK UP 1000 more -  who would ever want more than one?

I don't see need to be despondent though, we can still expect a top notch 8F in a year or so, C Class, Thompsons etc, and if Bachmann don't announce anything new there is still plenty in the pipeline from others.

Roy

Bob G

DP1 is actually a third run - they did it in Museum livery (as a stand alone item) and also in running livery (in a train set) although it was never my interest and I cant tell you what the livery differences were, but I'm told there was a difference.

nookfield

Quote from: Bob G on January 07, 2019, 10:47:27 PM
DP1 is actually a third run - they did it in Museum livery (as a stand alone item) and also in running livery (in a train set) although it was never my interest and I cant tell you what the livery differences were, but I'm told there was a difference.

I think it was the same livery for the both the standalone and set which was incorrect for the set

As delivered and as it run on the WCML it had black steps (cabs + over the fuel tank) Black buffers and a red pipe above the fuel tanks. When it was transferred to the ECML in 1959 the buffers were painted silver and the pipe above the fuel tanks was painted the same colour as the fuel tank.

When the bodywork was restored before it was transferred to the Science Museum the steps were as painted the same colour as the bogies/fuel tank

Bingley Hall

I wonder if we will see the same amount of venom directed at Farish over this move as was expended upon Dapol when they made their 'economic circumstances' announcement a while back?

njee20

To be fair it seems that Farish have cancelled two models fewer people are interested in - the 50 and the BoB were clearly very popular items.

I anticipate this being a rather longer hiatus that Dapol's too!

acko22

Hi all,

Well honestly I think its too early to tell what the overall fall out is going to be for announcements in less than a week. But i had heard they had some issues with relocation which isnt a simple task.

Sadly the fore mentioned models have been deferred for a number of reasons, which I admit is not wanted and probably just the same Kader as the more products they have out the more profit potential.

All we can hope is this isnt a negative trend, and just a bump in the road.
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

honk843

The first line of the original post says that they have now finished their move so that does not apply. This is not the first indication and I think Bachmann have been preparing use for some time now. I would be surprised if there is anything new in N this year--but I do hope I am proved wrong. Let look to the likes of Hattons and Revolution to fill the gap.

njee20

Well you're not going to be getting new Bachmann products from Hatton's, so there's further incentive for them to try and fill the gaps!

acko22

Quote from: honk843 on January 09, 2019, 08:51:29 AM
The first line of the original post says that they have now finished their move so that does not apply.

It does though just like moving house you can move on a Monday doesn't mean the house is set exactly as you want to by the Tuesday. A lot of the machines would have needed re-calibrating as this will have a knock on effect to their timelines sadly and these 2 models were the victims of that. If the move had gone as smoothly as they had wanted originally then these may have been kept.

But to make a silver lining and all that at least people know they are been "postponed" for now, and lets just hope as I said previously this is just a small bump in the road that every company hits now and then!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations