User Deleting Posts

Started by PLD, September 22, 2019, 10:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLD

this evening I find in my in-box a long list of notifications from the forum that "A topic has beed removed by user xxxxxx" - all the same user, not as far as I'm aware an Admin, but IIRC the originator of many (all?) of those topics...

As for why only, the user in question can answer: maybe he got responses he wanted and thinks the topic is no longer of any relevance to him? maybe he didn't like the answers he got? I don't recall any of the topics in question descending in to arguments or straying off topic/into banned areas.

Whatever the reason, it seems a bit selfish to bin topics - there could be much valuable information in there that could be useful to others in the future...

Sure Admins should have the right to kill threads when necessary, but for a user to be able to go through and delete entire topics??

Thoughts from the collective please...

njee20

Yep, very poor form. I don't think users should have the ability to delete posts. It ruins the flow of a thread if a post disappears, and deleting threads is bloody annoying if you want to read something from it. If you want to have a post deleted you should have to contact a moderator IMO.

daffy

I agree that wholesale deletion of threads for no discernible or explained reason is rather selfish, particularly if such a thread had many contributors and plenty of interesting information. I recall that relatively recently another member also deleted a number of the threads that they started without explanation.

I can understand that a member may wish to delete content they had submitted, but to do so by deleting submissions by others in the process should at least be explained beforehand out of common courtesy.

Or, preferably, some control over entire thread deletion should be exercised by the Mods, perhaps with a member requesting deletion of content they had submitted, rather than this wholesale eradication of information.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Tank

It is unusual for someone to do it.  I know of only two members who have done it in the past, and that's because they upset folk on here and wanted everything deleted.  I have no idea of why the current person is doing it?  ???

daffy

Ah yes, the offended and the angered member who wishes to disassociate themselves from the Forum. Sometimes deletions are quite understandable, though it is still sad when any content of interest and import is lost in this way.

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

I remember "Herzel" disappearing without trace, all his content just disappeared, presumably deleted by him, but that just means there are dozens of threads with people responding to comments no longer there or talking to themselves! I don't recall him annoying anyone either.

A guy on RMWeb trashed a 50-ish page thread on his layout because he refused to accept that anyone else ever had a better way of doing things than he did!  Totally against the spirit of a forum IMO.

Who's doing it this time? Why not just ask them?

Tank

The person who is deleting just emailed me, accusing me of banning them and that it's typical of this forum.....! ::)  I'm always helpful, I don't understand what the problem is?!?!  Certainly nobody has touched their account.

As for Herzel, they wanted their account deleted.

PLD

Quote from: Tank on September 23, 2019, 08:45:25 AM
The person who is deleting just emailed me, accusing me of banning them and that it's typical of this forum.....! ::)  I'm always helpful, I don't understand what the problem is?!?!  Certainly nobody has touched their account.

As for Herzel, they wanted their account deleted.
Eh!!! So if he's been banned, how can he log in to be able to delete threads??  ???
If I was the Admin, I WOULD now be putting a block on his account...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations