Barely any bargains

Started by d-a-n, December 12, 2015, 05:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Sprue

No doubt I guess there will be a few dedicated devious bargain hunters who will no doubt cash in on the Chinese 20% increase, by buying now to sell later at a handsome profit!  ::)

MalcolmInN

Is there a list anywhere of Farish models with their numbers and the dates they were introduced ? So that we can see when the 15% rule will variously expire and thus when we can expect more " bargains" ( I use bunny ears as a retrospective to my general relativity theory )

There would be no point in buying a model now if the rule on it expired in a few weeks.

Phew, I think I wriggled my way back on topic ?  :D

Firefox

Have just got a Farish class 37, green livery, on ebay for £60. I think they were £100+ new only two years ago. Fingers crossed on this one!

Still plenty to be had on ebay if you don't mind searching and looking around.

You do take pot luck on the locos. What is someone else's definition of a "good runner" is actually a kangaroo with a split gear. Had that problem last week, so have to be prepared to return or repair.

MikeDunn

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 15, 2015, 12:12:39 PM
Is there a list anywhere of Farish models with their numbers and the dates they were introduced ? So that we can see when the 15% rule will variously expire and thus when we can expect more " bargains"
Well ... I'm unsure whether this applies any more ...  There is a specific pack "I likes the looks of", except I think it's too expensive for what you get (a set is cheaper - this pack has no track, controller, etc, so you'd think it would be the other way around, price-wise :hmmm:).  The de facto price has, for months, been at around the 15% discount mark, but there's been no shift further down - anywhere :hmmm:

Are we at the end of the further reduction after the BachFar "max 15% for xx days" restriction  ???

Ensign Elliott

I've noticed that Hattons have no bargain packs in N this year. Last year, they had a whole Christmas section on their website with some very good deals on N and 00 packs - GF vans especially. This year its just the usual 00 packs which have been there all year.

red_death

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 15, 2015, 12:12:39 PM
Is there a list anywhere of Farish models with their numbers and the dates they were introduced ? So that we can see when the 15% rule will variously expire and thus when we can expect more " bargains" ( I use bunny ears as a retrospective to my general relativity theory )

I fear that a knock-on effect of the 15% rule is that products are staying at RRP minus 15% for much longer than previously as there isn't as much competition amongst retailers.

Cheers, Mike

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MikeDunn on December 15, 2015, 12:26:17 PMbeen at around the 15% discount mark, but there's been no shift further down - anywhere
"around" being the operative word :) ! cos Ive seen two packs at 16%, now is that a bargain or is it a bargain, lol!
Some locos at 20 21 and 22 %, still not dramatic but "every penny" ??

Perhaps we will have to wait till after Xmas ?
Is there a list anywhere of Farish models with their numbers and the dates they were introduced ?

Newportnobby

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on December 15, 2015, 11:24:37 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on December 15, 2015, 11:21:59 AM

That depends on when your children become 'grow up' and buy their own toys, Malcolm.
We still have 2 or 3 more years of the annual 20% price hike in Chinese wages so within that small time scale the price of the larger locos will be over £200 - especially as Farish seem to be applying the 20% regardless of how small the labour costs may be as a proportion of their overall cost.
Of course, retailers who have old stock have ramped up their prices accordingly, just as any supermarket probably buys in fags and booze before Budget time in the hope they can make a killing and, if anyone had any sense, they'd have purchased a load of stamps from the Post Office before their prices rocketed.
Second hand model prices have just followed suit.

Nobby ! That was so bleak the skies over Italy have just darkened.....  however true!

Just wait until the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse become visible, Jerry, and then run for the hills.
Oh, I forgot, you're already in the hills. Good forward planning :D

MalcolmInN

Quote from: newportnobby on December 15, 2015, 01:57:48 PM
Quote from: Jerry Howlett on December 15, 2015, 11:24:37 AM
Nobby ! That was so bleak the skies over Italy have just darkened.....  however true!
Just wait until the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse become visible,
Nah, they wouldnt show up here, no profit in it ! tight load of  :censored: ducks **

ducks&runs

*oh PS, my problem is that after a lifetime of living frugally we are quite comfortable, but I cannot bring myself to spending very easy, habits of a lifetime, * it takes a lot of pushing by you know who to make me go and buy some toys. She says we cant take it with us, but, but ,,

Rabbitaway

Mike, NeMo

I assume pistols at dawn settled the argument

Or was it handbags with a copy of Hatton's latest special offers strategically placed inside for added weight ?????

:D

Les1952

Nobody seems to have spotted on the Hornby website-

an N-gauge starter set including controller and track with siding, 0-6-0 diesel and wagons for £49.99.

OK, it is German outline but.......

A good way of getting a starter set for a young nephew/niece/grandchild?

Les

Railwaygun

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Rabbitaway on December 15, 2015, 10:31:18 PMI assume pistols at dawn settled the argument

Shhhhhh !

" handbags with a copy of Hatton's latest special "

See how much MaggieT's handbag went for at auction !! ? Silly ! Would have kept Farish Dapol and DJM in business for a while :)
QSY Angry thread >>

ScottyStitch

On Facebook, there are a couple of N Gauge buy and sell pages where some good second hand deals can be found. I recently picked up 6 x Farish Blue Circle 20 Ton Presflos (all unused and boxed) for £33 posted. Hattons would have been £52 posted.

I also responded to an add in Railway Modeler last month and managed to pick up 6 x New Tool, Dapol Grampus Wagons (5 black, 1 Indian Red) (all unused and boxed) for £33 posted. Hattons would have been £59 posted.

I didn't have to haggle on either of these, the price I paid is what was advertised.

Both of these examples are obviously for rolling stock, but locomotives come up just as often, if not more often. It's worth looking, if you have a facebook account.

So, I guess, if you're patient and have the time to wait for things to come up, there are some good prices out there.

railsquid

Quote from: Les1952 on December 15, 2015, 10:48:49 PM
Nobody seems to have spotted on the Hornby website-

an N-gauge starter set including controller and track with siding, 0-6-0 diesel and wagons for £49.99.

OK, it is German outline but.......

A good way of getting a starter set for a young nephew/niece/grandchild?
Like you say, a good starter set, but given that the loco seems to be a relatively crude and unprotoypical "generic shunter" I'd say it's just cheap, rather than a bargain.

For the anecdotal record I did find a new Farish 08 (the outside frame version) for 55 quid new in a brick-and-mortar retailer last week, which I'm still feeling insufferably quite smug about  8) ).

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations