GWR 125 Celebrations

Started by port perran, March 25, 2015, 08:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

Thanks for those pictures and accompanying story Alex.
Glad to know that celebrations were taking place throughout Cornwall.
Evening Start certainly looks the business. Great photos.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Jerry Howlett

Quoting Hailstone's  " I was part of the service crew on a round trip from Didcot to Tyseley and "Evening Star was independently timed at 82Mph down Hatton bank. my mate, who was on the footplate at the time, said if there had been an ejector seat there he would have used it!"

I will vouch for that as I literally lost my hat as we sped down Hatton. A fine trilby as I recall...

I was however disappointed that the special from Paddington to Pentewan did not stop at Didcot, as dispensation had not been granted by Network rail to attach the restored Hawksworth brake composite to the train.  The much diminished GWS carriage and wagon group were secretly relieved.   

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Hailstone

Didcot wasn't quite the railway Mecca it became while we were there mate, so I left it out, sorry. Regarding 2202, I'm still waiting for Farish to get their skates on - we haven't seen decorated samples yet or the much awaited Castle.....

Regards,

Alex

Chris in Prague

Another excellent set of photos., Alex. Very nice to see that "Evening Star" is still in its brand new, ex-works (this is 1960) condition. Rostering it for the enthusiast special would have gone down extremely well with the passengers and visits. We hope that 92220 will be able to run, again, in the continuing celebrations, this summer.

There is certainly an excellent selection of specially cleaned (G)WR locos. on shed at Pentewan and I see that Doctor Who has moved his Tardis from Claverton to Trewoon so that he and his companions can enjoy the special day.

Many thanks, John, too, for the last set of excellent photos. from Claverdon, a double-headed "Hall" and "Manor" would certainly pleased the passengers and watching enthusiasts.

port perran

It's back to normal in West Cornwall this weekend with all visiting locomotives and stock having returned "up-country".
The CLPG and other volunteers are this evening enjoying a well earned celebratory supper (provided free of charge as a Thank You by the landlord of the Station Hotel Trepol Bay) in recognition of all their hard work.
No doubt thoughts will be turning to the Summer events which will be run in recognition of GWR 125.
Incidentally, the first samples of Sam's Cider arrived earlier today and has  been enthusiastically received by locals. Not sure they'll remember much in the morning though. :beers:

Chris in Prague

A late photo. of the special from Wolverhampton Low Level, last seen passing through Claverdon, running between Bodmin Road and Wadebridge with BR Standard 3MT 2-6-2T 82005 (freshly painted and overhauled at Swindon Works) in charge of five BR Maroon Collet design coaches, the original three plus a pair of Collet BCKs with the a bar installed in the guard's compartment of one and a hot Cornish pasty stand in the other. The chocolate and cream coaches were removed and placed in the sidings at Bodmin Road to be taken forward as part of another special train. With all four of the WR chocolate and cream RMB Mini Buffets already running in other trains, the pair of Collet BCKs was adapted for use by staff from the "The Railway Hotel" and volunteers to serve the excellent products of the the Castle and Headland Breweries, "Sam's Cider", and the North Cornwall Pasty Co. to the, by now, very hungry and thirsty special's passengers.

Close-up of 82005:

johnlambert

Nice photos, thanks Chris.  The 3MT tank looks great, I'm a little jealous, I need one for my layout ;)

Chris in Prague

Thanks, John. the 3MT is really a beautiful model; however, it will need to be renumbered at an Exmouth Junction allocated one when I know which ones were in lined green livery. Exmouth Junction also had examples in plain green livery, such as 82035 (see below).

The BR Standard 3MT 2-6-2Ts in BR Black and Lined Green liveries do come up for sale on eBay and Graham Farish Standard Class 3MT Tank 2-6-2 82020 in BR plain green with late crest can be pre-ordered.

port perran

That Standard 3MT does look good in green Chris.
Will have to get one someday.  Thanks for the photo.

Chris in Prague

My pleasure, Martin. BR Lined Green is my favourite livery for steam locos. I did have two in BR Lined Black livery (also very attractive) but I sold those before, later, finding out that the first BR Standard 3MT 2-6-2Ts to be allocated to Exmouth Junction, back in the 1950s, all carried this livery. The later ones were in BR Green.

At various times from 1952 to 1965, 82001, 82002, 82010, 82011, 82012, 82013, 82017, 82018, 82019, 82022, 82023, 82024, 82025, 82030, 82035, 82039, 82040, 82042, and 82044 were allocated to Exmouth Jn. 82010-13, 82017-9 were allocated from 1952. 82017 (Bude 25 05 1957), 82025 (Holsworthy), 82030, 82042 (Padstow, 02 01 1964). At 83D May 1965: 82030, 82039, 82040, 82042, and 82044. From 1952 on, 82010, 82011, 82012, 82013, 82017, 82018, 82019, 82020, 82021, 82022, 82023, 82024, and 82025 were allocated new to Exmouth Jn. 82002 was withdrawn from Exmouth Junction shed.

Chris in Prague

According to Wikipedia: "From 1957 onwards, those members of the class based on the Western Region started to receive lined green livery. From the early 1960s, some Western Region class members also received unlined green livery as an economy measure. Those class members allocated to other regions retained lined black livery until withdrawal.

One curiosity was 82044 which was painted in green livery by the Western Region but then repainted in black livery after it was transferred away. During this repaint, it mistakenly received a power classification 4 numeral which it carried until withdrawal."

So, any of the WR class members allocated to Exmouth Junction still in lined green livery (82001, 82002, 82030, 82039, and 82042) would have looked quite faded, as 82030's livery was in 1964. Unlined green livery (82035 and 82040) would be more likely to be in good condition; a good reason to buy one! 8-)

Chris in Prague

My apologies to all for the lack of updates from me on this thread. However, I now have more time.

Before I post the back story, a quick reminder of what GW125 is all about: GW125 is simply an excuse to post pictures of any trains, regular or specials that *could* have (and you can be as historically accurate as you wish but, please, keep it within the bounds of what would have been reasonable) run in connection with (the alas fictional, celebrations) celebrations in 1960 of the founding of the Great Western Railway. If you have locos. and carriages like another participant then you can post pictures of your 'through' service.

The centre of the celebrations is the 'West Country' and, in North Cornwall, the WR's neighbours, the SR have also been invited to participate. Through specials from the LMR and ER are very welcome. We can assume volunteer WR pilotmen are available to guide any visiting loco. crews and that the Chief Civil Engineers of the WR and SR have given reasonable temporary permanent way relaxations to allow SLIGHTLY heavier locos. to run where they would, normally, be banned. (Private sponsorship has been made available to BR cover any extra expenses.)

Above all, this meant to be fun and to 'link' WR (and other region) layouts on the forum.

So, welcome to this summer's GW125 program. We're looking forward to all your excellent photos. 8-)

Chris in Prague

And now the promised back story (please, ignore if you're not interested in fictional history and just want to enjoy running trains).

The good doctor and his granddaughter Susan Foreman, (who were not to appear on BBC TV until November 1963), have transported us in the Tardis from today back to January 1960 . . .

As 1960 dawns, a decade of great change lies on the horizon. As well as the effects of rising car ownership and an increase in commercial lorries on BR's passenger and freight revenues, diesel power is about to have a huge impact on the railways. The first diesel-hauled train had been seen on 17th February 1958 when the first D6XX "Warship" diesel-hydraulic pulled a train from Paddington when Cornwall (and most of Devon) had been earmarked as one of the first areas in the country to be dieselised. On 16th June 1958, D601 "Ark Royal" became the first diesel locomotive to haul the "Cornish Riviera Express" when it took 10 coaches from Paddington to Plymouth and completed the non-stop journey of 225 miles in 240 minutes.
(In 1961 steam was still common in Cornwall. By 1962 it still reigned supreme on the former Southern lines, but was becoming a rare sight on the Western lines where, by the middle of 1963, it had gone completely. The last British Railways steam train from Plymouth to Penzance ran on 3 May 1964, very unusually hauled by an ex-Southern Bulleid Light Pacific 34002 "Salisbury". (At this time "Salisbury" was still based at Exmouth Junction (from 1963, a WR shed, coded 83D instead of 72A) and remained based there until September 1964 when it was transferred to Eastleigh, after a period of 18 years and 2 months at Exmouth Junction which is no mean feat by any standard. One further shed change would follow in January 1965 when 34002 was moved again to the Southern's Top Shed, Nine Elms. Here she worked the last steam express services on British Railways until "Salisbury"'s withdrawal in April 1967, 3 months shy of the end of Southern Steam.) Early the next year, when the Bude and North Cornwall lines were dieselised on 4 January 1965, the age of steam was but a memory.)

In 1960, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_in_the_United_Kingdom) the 'Swinging Sixties' have yet to begin. Five years earlier the B.R. Modernisation Plan promised expenditure of over £1,240 million, that steam locomotives would be replaced with diesel and electric ones, traffic levels would increase and the railway system would be back in profit by 1962. However, it is already clear that losses are mounting . . .

Lady Penelope of Trevelver Castle, high above Cant Cove, Wadebridge, North Cornwall, is famous for hosting lavish parties in the family's elegant Kensington town house where leading personalities from the worlds of advertising, business, politics, the media, and the arts mix, meet and discuss the issues of the day. Whilst their vivacious young daughter, Sylvia, who works in leading advertising agency, S H Benson Ltd., and her friends, the soon to be named, 'Chelsea Girls', attract the leading lights of their generation, so there is a very good mix of ages, outlooks and attitudes at these soirees.

Lady Penelope's husband, Sir Charles, is a (G)WR man whilst his wife is a ardent supporter of the SR. Among the frequent guests are the top management of the Western and Southern Regions of British Railways. Lady Penelope and Sir Charles are very aware of the economic realities being responsible for running the family business, the Castle Estates, the associated Castle Brewery, and the Penmayne Pasty Co. (later to be renamed the North Cornwall Pasty Co.) amongst other local businesses. The prosperity of North and West Cornwall is always uppermost in their minds. It is clear to them that big changes are coming and, if they do not act, there is no guarantee that these changes will be for the better . . .

That year, the United Kingdom Prime Minister (1957 to 1963), Maurice Harold Macmillan, states, "First, the [railway] industry must be of a size and pattern suited to modern conditions and prospects. In particular, the railway system must be modelled to meet current needs, and the modernisation plan must be adapted to this new shape" and with the premise that the railways should be run as a profitable business.

A specific aim of the 1955 Modernisation Plan was the complete elimination of steam traction on the Western Region  west of Newton Abbot, in B.R.'s first proposal for complete area dieselisation. Two years later, in the course of a press conference in the South-west, the W.R. General Manager forecast that this would be a achieved by the end of 1960. This seemed rather a bold assertion at the time, since there was not even one main-line diesel locomotive on the W.R. by then, and subsequent events proved the target an impossible one. (It was not until the end of the 1963 summer service that scheduled steam locomotives were eliminated west of Exeter, except on lines then just taken over from the Southern Region.)

Knowing all of this, Lady Penelope had organised a big conference at Cant Castle that New Year, with representatives from local and regional businesses, councils, trade unions, and railway management to influence the coming changes as positively as possible. The theme of the conference was: "Use It Or Lose It". Firstly, agreement was reached that all local businesses currently using the railways (whether W.R. or S.R.) would continue to do so but would co-operate with local railway management to make whatever economies and efficiency improvements possible. (One of the first results was the Castle Estates's decision to invest in a new fleet of long-wheelbase, wagons and vans sharing a common chassis and equipped for sustained high-speed running for the new fast goods train network to and from Cornwall). The Castle Estates's Chief Accountant, on loan from Cooper Brothers, agreed to chair the working committee and guide them through the necessary analyses.

Encouraged by the New Year conference, and promised sponsorship by the Castle and Headland (of Trepol Bay) Cornish breweries and 'Sam's Cider' of Somerset, groups of local railway staff and railway enthusiasts met to found what was to become the Cornish Locomotive Preservation Group (CLPG), initially, at Cant Cove and Trepol Bay, and the Great Western Society, initially, at Bodmin General and Port Perran. Their aim was to support the preservation of and running of SR and GWR motive power, respectively, beyond 1960. Initial plans centred around the selection and sponsored overhaul of selected B.R. locomotives due to be withdrawn from active service. Working parties, led by local railway staff, were recruited to ensure that all steam locomotives were kept in as clean a condition as possible whilst those selected for future preservation are given special care and maintenance.

The four locos. selected by the CLPG are (with real life details):
34007 "Wadebridge" (withdrawn: October 1965; now preserved);
34015 "Exmouth" (at Padstow, 1964, hauled the last "ACE"; withdrawn: April 1967);
34065 "Hurricane" (withdrawn: April 1964);
34066 "Spitfire" (at Wadebridge, 1964; withdrawn: September 1966);

Additionally, a reservation has been placed on:
34107 "Blandford Forum" (on "ACE", 1964; withdrawn: September 1964);
If the specials raise enough funds, 34107 will be bought as a spare back-up loco. and will be moved to Penmayne for safe keeping until sufficient funds have been raised for the loco's overhaul.

Amongst SR locos. the CLPG has placed reservations on a pair of ex-LSWR '700' Class 'Black Motor' 0-6-0s (the final seven were all withdrawn by B.R. in December 1962; the last three shedded at 72A Exmouth Junction being withdrawn in November 1962) and a pair of T9s.

Exmouth Junction Drummond '700' ('Black Motors'):
30315 11/54 - 3/58
30317 3/58 - 8/61
30327 2/59 - 5/61
-------------------
30689 9/61 - 11/62
30691 11/54 - 8/61 (allegedly hauled the 3.13 Perishables from Padstow in October 1960)
30697 9/61 - 11/62
30700 9/61 - 11/62

Union Mills do a T9 'Greyhound', however it's one of the 300 series with wide cab and a 6-wheel tender, so only: 30313 (withdrawn July 1961) and 30338 (withdrawn April 1961) are possibilities for preservation. (The last 4 T9s sub-shedded at Okehampton until July 1961 were: 30313, 30709, 30715, and 30717.)

In addition, at least one M7 has also been reserved as has a Bulleid Q1 class on loan to Trepol Bay for trials although a Q1 was not, normally, seen in North Cornwall.

BR Standard 3MT 2-6-2Ts and 4MT 2-6-4Ts (the later brought in especially for the occasion) plus Ivatt 2-6-2Ts are also scheduled to represent the latest in steam locomotive design. WR BR Standard "Britannia"s and 9F 2-10-0s are also rumoured to be rostered for some mainline specials.

The GWS has 14XX, 28XX, 2884, 41XX / 61XX / 81XX, 45XX, 4575, 57XX, 8750, and 94XX, tank locos. on its list, together with "Manors", "Granges", "Halls" and "Castles" (these last three classes for mainline specials). Ex-GWR diesel railcars (reservations have been placed on the best examples of Worcester shed's allocation) plus autocoaches and B Sets restored in GWR chocolate and cream livery have also been earmarked for preservation. GWS branches in the Bristol and Birmingham areas have also been setup and they will promote special trains and help fund the preservation and restoration of GWR rolling stock both locally and in the West Country.

One of the many important decisions made at the conference was to promote tourism within the 'West Country' through a co-ordinated program of special trains both within the region, and to and from it, to attract railway enthusiasts from across the United Kingdom together with the promotion of local hotels, inns, and restaurants to attract high-spending holidaymakers. Selected restaurants were chosen to feature special menus of the finest local produce.

1956 had seen the return of regional colour schemes for passenger coaching stock. The Western Region had promptly adopted GWR chocolate and cream livery for vehicles used on its named express trains and maroon for other stock whilst the Southern Region had reverted to green and the other regions had adopted maroon. 1960 saw the Southern Region adopt the now familiar yellow cantrail above first class and red above dining cars.

At the New Year conference, agreement was reached to use chocolate and cream liveried coaches for all principal scheduled W.R. passenger services and green for their SR equivalents. However, some W.R. crimson and cream stock did continue to appear as well as B.R. Maroon stock on local and secondary services. Any stock allocated for services to / from North Cornwall which was not scheduled for a repaint was repainted as soon as possible and the extra cost paid for by the local sponsors.

Amongst the stock covered by this sponsorship (by the Castle and Headland breweries, their partner 'Sam's Cider' of Somerset, and the Penmayne Pasty Co.) is a dedicated fleet of new B.R. 'Mini Buffet' Restaurant Miniature Buffet (or RMB) cars in WR chocolate and cream livery in the W1813-16 series. [From Lot No. 30520, Diagram 99, built 1960 at Wolverton, 25 built: 1813–1837, running on Commonwealth bogies.]

[Will be updated.]

port perran

I think that is a comprehensive fictitious history of the area Chris.
I believe that the CLPG and others will be organising a "celebration of steam" fortnight in the Summer.
Any idea as to which two weeks will be chosen yet ?

Chris in Prague

Thanks, Martin. For me, July would be best but I'm not sure, yet, which two weeks would be good for the "celebration of steam" fortnight when as many services as possible will be steam-hauled with specially cleaned and polished locos. and carriages, some in GWR livery. The dates for the special 'Cornish gourmet' program have not been fixed, yet, either. (Although, in real life that would have been done months ago!) I'm still quite busy this month and, probably, won't have track laid and locos., here, until July. Then I have my youngest brother and two friends arriving in August so August is not good for me either.

However, throughout the Summer timetable (beginning June 12th 1960) there are steam-hauled services Saturdays and Sundays throughout the West Country with special through trains from the WR, LMR and ER (in addition to the normal holidaymaker weekend services), so almost any weekend can feature special trains to allow the maximum number of people to participate as suits them.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations