GWR 125 Celebrations

Started by port perran, March 25, 2015, 08:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris in Prague

The GWS (Bodmin) has gratefully received another batch of GW wagons and vans for the demonstration GWR goods train:

['Rough' silver has since been painted on the buffers to match the others.]

They are still awaiting a GWR livery Cattle Van and LWB low flat wagon. They are also searching for their bogie GWR Loco Coal wagon.

Chris in Prague

The latest news on the enthusiast grapeveine is that immaculately clean BR Early Crest BB 4-6-2, 34065 "Hurricane", as seen at Trepol Bay, will definitely appear on the GW125 supporting special service to / from Trepol Bay-Wadebridge-Penmayne (so will pass through Cant Cove). It is likely to be hauling a rake of BR SR Green Standard carriages, although extra carriages may be added / taken off at Wadebridge as it is expected that Wadebridge will attract the most enthusiasts being the junction for a variety of ex-SR and ex-GWR lines..

johnlambert

Latest news from the Birmingham area is that a GWR Modified Hall has been spotted running in after a light overhaul at Tysley works.  Although in BR green rather than GWR livery it may work some special trains over the GWR 125 period.

Photos to follow.

Chris in Prague

Excellent news, John. Looking forward to the photos.

port perran

Grapevine news in West Cornwall have the following locomotives being specially cleaned and spruced up :
Manor 4-6-0
Ex GW Panniers (57XX) in GW green and BR Black
Collett 0-6-0 in GW Green livery.
45XX Praries in lined green and lined black
Ex GW Diesel Railcar in green livery.
Not to be outdone, the CLPG is also cleaning up the following :
BB 4-6-0 Hurricane
SR N Mogul in BR black
Ex SR T9 in green livery
Class 700 Black Motor

It is also expected that several other locos will be used including an immaculate green Class 52 on trains between Exeter and Plymouth.
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

NeMo

Quote from: port perran on July 12, 2015, 02:18:19 PM
It is also expected that several other locos will be used including an immaculate green Class 52 on trains between Exeter and Plymouth.
That would be nice!

My second ever model locomotive was the Lima 'Western Pioneer' in green with small yellow panels, and I know this livery isn't one the class carried much or for long, but I always thought it looked fab. Very classy. Like British racing green!

Can you imagine in your alternate universe if "the powers that be" decided to place a GWR roundel on the green 'Western' instead of the standard carriage symbol they normally had?

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

port perran

Grapevine news in West Cornwall have the following locomotives being specially cleaned and spruced up :
Manor 4-6-0
BB 4-6-0 Hurricane
SR N Mogul in BR black
Ex SR T9 in green livery
Class 700 Black Motor

Just realised that I seem to have converted my BB into a 4-6-0  :dunce:

johnlambert

Quote from: port perran on July 12, 2015, 02:43:55 PM
Manor 4-6-0
BB 4-6-0 Hurricane
SR N Mogul in BR black
Ex SR T9 in green livery
Class 700 Black Motor

Just realised that I seem to have converted my BB into a 4-6-0  :dunce:

That's one way to cure the wheel-slip problem, I suppose  ;D

Chris in Prague

That's certainly a very impressive and attractive list of locos., Martin, which is sure to attract great interest from both local and visiting enthusiasts. However, in 1960, the last of the Swindon-built "Warships" were still being delivered and the "Westerns" were still being planned at Swindon. However, as Doctor Who is kindly taking a select group of 2015 railway enthusiasts, clad in standard 1960s railway enthusiasts' monotone clothing, borrowed from the wardrobe of the Tardis, perhaps an unexpected interaction of the Tardis' time and space distortion field and 'St. Michael's Ley Line', which passes through Bodmin, somehow brought a brand new BR Green (quite a rare but attractive livery) "Western" temporarily back a few years' in space and time? 8-)

Rumours that a GWS member then tried to replace the BR Coaching Stock Roundel with a circular GWR logo on the grounds that any strange locomotive that was large, elegant and green with a name beginning "Western" something MUST be from the GWR are, alas, unfounded! 8-)

port perran

Quote from: Chris in Prague on July 12, 2015, 04:03:36 PM
That's certainly a very impressive and attractive list of locos., Martin, which is sure to attract great interest from both local and visiting enthusiasts. However, in 1960, the last of the Swindon-built "Warships" were still being delivered and the "Westerns" were still being planned at Swindon. However, as Doctor Who is kindly taking a select group of 2015 railway enthusiasts, clad in standard 1960s railway enthusiasts' monotone clothing, borrowed from the wardrobe of the Tardis, perhaps an unexpected interaction of the Tardis' time and space distortion field and 'St. Michael's Ley Line', which passes through Bodmin, somehow brought a brand new BR Green (quite a rare but attractive livery) "Western" temporarily back a few years' in space and time? 8-)

Rumours that a GWS member then tried to replace the BR Coaching Stock Roundel with a circular GWR logo on the grounds that any strange locomotive that was large, elegant and green with a name beginning "Western" something MUST be from the GWR are, alas, unfounded! 8-)
Ah...I forgot that the Westerns were still a pipedream in 1962. Yes, the good doctor and his trusty tardis will be working their magic.

johnlambert

A few photos of trains running in for GWR 125

Clun Castle on a running in turn

Light engine run for Modifed Hall - for some reason running as 4979 Wooton Hall

And on a short train

Chris in Prague

Thanks for those excellent photos., John. Two more immaculately turned out locos. which are sure to please all the (G)WR enthusiasts.

Chris in Prague

Some of the locos. expected at Penmayne and Wadebridge for GW125 are:

1) GF 94XX pannier tank in BR Black Late Crest (to be renumbered)
2) GF Class 33 diesel in BR Green SWP D6577 (to be renumbered) -- will deliver the newly overhauled SR locos. from Eastleigh Works -- although deliveries of the class started in 1960, July 1960 would be too early for D6577 and it would not have had a yellow warning panel of any kind.
3) GF BR standard 2-6-4T tank loco 80097 in BR Lined Black Late Crest (to be renumbered)
4) Dapol N - ex-GWR 4575 class Small Prairie BR Lined Green Late Crest 5530 (to be renumbered)
5) 7816 "Frilsham Manor", GWR 4-6-0, Ixion Model Railways - super-detailed.
6) Dapol ND-035 45XX Small Prairie 'straight tank' BR Lined Green Late Crest 4565
7) GF 371-977 61XX Large Prairie Tank BR Green Lined Late Crest 5153 (to be renumbered)
8) GF 'N' Class BR Lined Black Late Crest (to be renumbered) -- through running from Trepol Bay
9) GF BB 34065 "Hurricane" BR Green Early Crest -- through running from Trepol Bay

The WR is rumoured to have allocated 2 X D63XXs to haul the train of newly overhauled ex-GWR locos. from Swindon Works.

More locos. will be added to the list as further information is received, these include a second BB, an Ivatt 2-6-2T, and a BR Black 57XX plus a BR Dark Green ex-GWR Diesel Railcar -- through running from Trepol Bay. Two BR Diesel Railcars are also rumoured.

The BR Black T9 has been delayed due to lack of capacity at Eastleigh Works. And a 'Black Motor' 700 Class is delayed even later.

However, a B Set and an autocoach newly restored in GWR livery are promised.

port perran

As part of the forthcoming GW 125 event, it is planned that for two days, ALL trains running between Truro and Wadebridge (via Chacewater, Port Perran, Trepol Bay ) will be in the hands of GW or BR(W) locomotives.
In preparation for this,a apecial publicity event was held at Trepol Bay whereby the local press and TV stations had the chance to see the former SR station being used by WR locos :
A few of the publicity shots are reproduced below :

First we see a variety of WR or GW locos in the station. The Manor will depart with a Wadebridge to Truro train. The Collet 0-6-0 is at the head of a local schoolchildren's train, the 45XX is waiting to move onto the shed for servicing. The 57XX is at the head of a short GW demo goods train whilst the 94XX pannier is waiting with a former GW Siphon G van.

The Prarie tank has now retreated to the shed as the Manor sets off for Truro.

Finally, the remaining locos remain in the station. The Fat Controller from Plymouth who is overseeing the event is standing by the front bufferbeam of the Collet 0-6-0. He seems to be reasonably satisfied with the day's events.

Chris in Prague

Another excellent set of pictures, Martin, for which many thanks. The SR will 'get its revenge' though with its GW125 supporting services featuring a wide variety of SR steam locomotives including the special through service worked by immaculately cleaned BB "Hurricane", still in BR Early Crest livery, from Trepol Bay to Wadebridge and Penmayne and return. An unusually clean 'N' 2-6-0 in BR Lined Black Late Crest livery (specially cleaned by the CLPG as Exmouth Junction did not, normally, keep its 'N's in anything like clean condition) is also rumoured to be operating on such a special through service.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations