Unknown Chassis

Started by Intercity, February 07, 2024, 08:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Intercity

Hoping the group can help identify this Chassis, I purchased it listed as a 47 Chassis, it has DCC hardwired, the PCB I was hoping to swap out but the PCB screws look to be on opposite sides, the lighting part seems to have a "spot light" at the top but don't know what shell is the correct one for it or what that light actually illuminates.

And help would be much appreciated.

IC

ntpntpntp

Any maker's mark underneath?  Any clues printed on the PCB (under the decoder?)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

That's a Farish PCB. Can we see the bogies?

Intercity

It is a Farish Chassis and Farish PCB, the Bogies appear to be for a class 47, I'll get pics of those when I get home, I just don't know which 47 it would go to, and that's if the bogies are original to the chassis, I wasn't aware of PCBs having screw holes in different places like this (Opposite to my 47018).

njee20

But that's a 6-pin model, right? They did the same on the 60 and 66 IIRC - moving the screw holes when changing from a solder pad PCB to a 6-pin one.

Could it be a 57? I'm not sure if there was a 47 with solder pad PCB.

Intercity

I hadn't thought of that, I do have the thunderbird 57s in my collection, I'll pop a shell off one of those and check to see if they are the same.

njee20

IIRC those are 6-pin. Only a small number had solder tabs, maybe the green FGW and Porterbrook.

What is the exam question you're trying to answer? They have form for moving mounting holes on PCBs, so that doesn't tell you anything. Do you want a body for that chassis? If you were told it was from a 47 and it had 47 bogies isn't that the answer...?

Intercity

Managed to pop the shell off one of my VT Thunderbirds and the PCB does indeed look identical, the Bogies have the large sandboxes on each end also indicating the likelyhood of it being a 57 (wasn't aware they altered them when they converted them), what threw me off was the battery box as it didn't have the large white pipes above it (I believe they are moulded as part of the box on these models), from what I can see all of the 57s had these pipes?

As for a shell I don't have one yet, but that's purely because I wasn't sure what one went with it (I was looking for 47s, but a 57 will find a home on a rail tour)

One of the bogies:

The best I could do to get the number on the PCB "7165#PCB01(A) ??", didn't want to start poking around with the wiring:

ntpntpntp

interesting that googling that pcb ref actually took me to the Farish class 60 spares with a 7135 board whereas the class 57 spares has a 7165 PCB (3 versions)

https://bachmann-spares.co.uk/category/5-graham-farish-diesel-loco-spares/class-57/electronics
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

Has there been a sneaky edit, it definitely looks like it says 7165, and that's what the OP said...?

So yes, 57.  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations