What's your favourite method for putting locomotive on track?

Started by Grassyfield, February 03, 2024, 05:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grassyfield

Do you use a tool or do you just carefully put in on by hand?. Talking specifically about locomotives not wagons etc. I'm just curious what others do even though its a random subject.

Bealman

By hand, though it's getting harder as the years roll on.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

grumbeast

I use a blue Kato re-railer slope, works well especially with Steam locos

njee20

woodbury22uk

Back in the old days with pizza cutter flanges my hand and eye worked fine. These days with much finer flanges I use a blue Kato rerailer taking care not to put any pressure on wheels with traction tyres.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

thebrighton

I do by hand but if exhibitions are anything to go by you hold it firmly by the valve gear with the tender hanging down so the the cardon shaft comes out or the wires come adrift then wonder why it's stopped working and then go on social media to tell everyone how crap the quality of locos are nowadays  ;)

Newportnobby

I use a Peco railer. Anything without traction tyres gets gently pushed off the railer onto the track, while anything with tyres has the railer gently pulled from under the loco.
Of course, the railer is perfick for all stock, not just locos :)

chrism

For locos without bogies or pony trucks I usually manage OK by hand but if they have, especially, a front bogie that will do what it likes I use a Peco rerailer.

If the loco's come out of storage then its box contains a Kato railer fitted with brass strips in the flange groove connected to track pickups so I can just drive it out onto the track.

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

ntpntpntp

A re-railer is a very useful tool if you have one. It doesn't need to be one of the expensive powered ones, just the standard plastic version will do. Don't push the loco down the railer onto the track, instead place the loco on the re-railer and then pull the railer away while holding the loco still (like the old "tablecloth" trick :) ) That way you're not applying strain on drive wheels or traction tyres etc.

As we discussed by PM, I was taught as a very young lad by my Dad how to place a loco on the track by laying all the flanges of one side onto the rail first then tipping over. This is great for locos with many wheels and/or floppy bogies.  For a simple shunting 0-6-0 or similar loco it's usually easy to just plonk it on the track.

Exactly the same techniques apply to rolling stock too, there's no magic to it :) With a re-railer it's easy to just roll  each wagon down the ramp onto the track and coupling it up to form a train.

On balance, I would say I mostly use the "tip it on" method for locos and a re-railer for assembling trains of rolling stock.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Firstone18

I find the Kato re-railer the better option particularly for steam locos with pony truck wheels. With locos fitted with traction tyres I hold the loco so the tyres lift off the re-railer slightly. This is easier with Union Mills as the tyres are one side only, but others, eg Farish WD I just take the weight of the rear wheel slightly BUT CAREFULLY!
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

stevewalker

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 03, 2024, 10:08:45 AManything with tyres has the railer gently pulled from under the loco.

I've seen (and intend to try myself) people applying copper tape to the railers, running down each side and under the front edge, so that locos can be driven off the railer and onto the track.

Kris

Newportnobby

Quote from: stevewalker on February 03, 2024, 04:53:17 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on February 03, 2024, 10:08:45 AManything with tyres has the railer gently pulled from under the loco.

I've seen (and intend to try myself) people applying copper tape to the railers, running down each side and under the front edge, so that locos can be driven off the railer and onto the track.

I might give that a go but knowing me I'd turn the controller the wrong way with the inevitable result :doh:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations