Grouping era

Started by Dorsetmike, January 26, 2024, 08:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

How many members here model the big 4/gouping era? Also for those that do which is your choice of company/companies?

My interest is  SR mid 1930s with a few LMS (via the Someset and Dorset)

Having seen the what's new pages in the current journal there's not much for us, just a few wagons.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Train Waiting

I do, with a little pre-Grouping as well.

I have locomotives from all of the 'Big Four' and also the S&DJR on my layout, which is an attempt at a homage to the (normally '0' gauge) model railways of that era.  A kind of model of a model sort of thing.  Such fun!  And a wonderful excuse to spend ages looking at pre-War magazines in the name of research.

With best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

icairns

Despite being an N gauge modeler since 1967, I have only built one-and-a-half N gauge layouts.  My current continuous run layout, 'Ferryhill,' is set in the BR era 1955 to 1968.

But the half layout I started in 1967, but never finished, was an LNER layout (terminus to fiddle yard).  In those days, pre-grouping and Big Four layouts were very common in the pages of Railway Modeller (not that they are uncommon now). 

As there were very few British RTR models available in the mid-1960s, my rolling stock consisted of a Minitrix J63 0-6-0T kit (my first white-metal kit) numbered LNER 8210, a few card LNER and NER models from Highfield Models, and various scratchbuilt wagons. 

I completed the track, wiring, and some of the scenery but then I left for university and never got round to finishing the layout.  I still have the J63 model and all the rolling stock which takes pride of place in a display cabinet. 

Here is the J63 and a few wagons from Highfield Models having a run out on 'Ferryhill.'

Ian

Doc Pye

GWR! I have built numerous layouts in my mind...one day I probably should build one for real given all the gear I have!  :laugh3:

Kris

I have a few GWR locos and coaches and a selection of grouping / pre grouping wagons. This allows me to show the transition between big 4 and BR in the early 50's.

Papyrus

My interest is LNER and the transition era. I have a few pre-nationalisation locos but it's the teak coaches that float my boat!

Cheers,

Chris

JanW

I have two (unfinished) layouts:

GWR terminus to fiddle yard, mid twenties if I can find/build appropriate stock. Now early 30's.

SR Gravesend region micro layout set in 1932.
Also a terminus/fiddleyard (the word 'to' would mean trains could go somewhere but the fiddleyard is right against the truncated platform).

Le Night ferry

I like LMS' maroon. pre war days.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations