Next Sonic steam loco

Started by Conor1410David, January 17, 2024, 04:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy L S

Amongst the reasons given by Bachmann for dropping the J72 was indeed technical challenges given the size of the loco including lack of availability of a small enough motor. Given the expectation of a DCC socket in the specification these days, I am thinking that those technical challenges would remain as big today. While there have been some quite small locos such as the NGS Hunslet and EFE J94 more recently, next to those the J72 is still fairly diminutive so personally I can't see it being taken on.

Personally I hope the A5 is indeed next, there are many logical points in it's favour as a Sonic product and on the commercial side Sam would have a feel for the numbers I am sure.

Time will tell...

Roy

Bigmac

Quote from: bigdawgks on January 21, 2024, 01:53:50 AMFor sure it won't, I was just answering in the context of THE best selling locomotive that could be made. Personally I'm still hoping for an LMS 2P in the near future.

are you aware Union Mills made the lms 2P ?  they do come up on ebay quite often

heres one--
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186252901487
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Bigmac

Quote from: Roy L S on January 20, 2024, 08:19:16 PM
Quote from: Bigmac on January 20, 2024, 07:11:43 PM
Quote from: Roy L S on January 20, 2024, 05:26:38 PM
Quote from: Bigmac on January 20, 2024, 04:08:09 PMhas Revolution made any steam locos ?

Not in N but they are in the process of developing a rather lovely Vale of Rheidol loco in OO9.

perhaps Revo think the steam loco fraternity is all ready well served.  I wonder what THE most polular best selling steam loco so far NOT offered could be ?
²

More a case of steam not being an area of great knowledge for the RevolutioN team whose expertise is more typically but not exclusively modern prototypes.

The second question is a really interesting one where you could as ten different people and each would probably give a different answer. For me if we are talking ready to run my thoughts based on the almost ever present Horncy model in OO would be the LMS Princess Royal Class.

Roy

i agree--the princess royal gets my vote as the loco most likely to be the best seller if ever it was mass produced.  I'm not biased--not on my wish list
( i scooped a bargain on ebay--a kit built by a craftman--superbly detailed painted and lined. I thank the person who built it )

Whoops--strayed off topic.

So--perhaps Sonic might care to consider the suggestions in this thread.  It would be great if Sonic were to produce a real best seller.
Go for it Sonic !

zwilnik

Quote from: PLD on January 21, 2024, 12:21:47 AM
Quote from: bigdawgks on January 20, 2024, 07:18:48 PMThat's easy, Hogwarts Express. Not my thing but definitely will sell better than anything else.
"Hogwarts Castle" was actually "Oulton Hall" in a dodgy paint scheme... Dapol already do a Hall (albeit they've not done factory finished version as HC yet, but at least a couple of repaints around) so it's a very safe bet that will NOT be the next Sonic Model (not that Sonic have actually been considered for at least the last dozen posts ::) )

Anything Harry Potter is always an extra level of challenge when it comes to licensing as JKR has veto control over everything and is currently doing her damndest to cancel herself.

So you'd have the problem that you could go through the expense of licensing for a Hogwarts Castle model + set, manufacturing a run of the loco and coaches and then get told, "Sorry, they all have to go in the bin as JKR doesn't like the shade of red or some random issue" (happened to one manufacturer just as we were starting the first game). Or get them to shops just in time for her to post something on XTwitter that kills interest (WB are already pulling back from future film projects).

Given the amount of money you'd be expected to front just for the license even before you go through the design and manufacturing costs it just seems like a crazy risk for a manufacturer to take.

Bigmac

Quote from: zwilnik on January 21, 2024, 03:29:59 PM
Quote from: PLD on January 21, 2024, 12:21:47 AM
Quote from: bigdawgks on January 20, 2024, 07:18:48 PMThat's easy, Hogwarts Express. Not my thing but definitely will sell better than anything else.
"Hogwarts Castle" was actually "Oulton Hall" in a dodgy paint scheme... Dapol already do a Hall (albeit they've not done factory finished version as HC yet, but at least a couple of repaints around) so it's a very safe bet that will NOT be the next Sonic Model (not that Sonic have actually been considered for at least the last dozen posts ::) )

Anything Harry Potter is always an extra level of challenge when it comes to licensing as JKR has veto control over everything and is currently doing her damndest to cancel herself.

So you'd have the problem that you could go through the expense of licensing for a Hogwarts Castle model + set, manufacturing a run of the loco and coaches and then get told, "Sorry, they all have to go in the bin as JKR doesn't like the shade of red or some random issue" (happened to one manufacturer just as we were starting the first game). Or get them to shops just in time for her to post something on XTwitter that kills interest (WB are already pulling back from future film projects).

Given the amount of money you'd be expected to front just for the license even before you go through the design and manufacturing costs it just seems like a crazy risk for a manufacturer to take.

i know the feeling.  At my local steam railway--they put on a Thomas the tank weekend--with huge fees paid to whichever owner of the copyright was flavour of the month that year.  To begin with it was a huge success..but gradually greed took over and it became too expensive to do it.

But the rules imposed--" the fat controller not allowed to have a beard" amongst many.

sorry--back to Sonic.

Bob G

Lots of heritage railways stopped impersonating Thomas and Friends because of copyright issues.

I think the world has gone crazy.

When I started my business 8 years ago, I was soon approached by Gregory Logistics for having a logo that was too close to theirs (a circle), a font that was identical (Helvetica - the first font that leaps out at you), and text in the same place relative to the logo!

We got it sorted and I was actually happier with the end result. They were upset because their clients were approaching them and asking if I was part of their group. I put my logo together without it even crossing my mind that they were similar.

Hey Ho!

Bob (not Gregory Environmental)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £75.23
Below Goal: £24.77
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations