Next Sonic steam loco

Started by Conor1410David, January 17, 2024, 04:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Taylor

Quote from: Bigmac on January 19, 2024, 05:10:22 PMso--beside the 56xx gw tank loco--did sonic also do the j94 saddle tank and the j class tank with the holes in the side ? (the latter 2 held no interest for me--i dont do ER locos ).

It would be nice to see something with outside motion though.

Roy's answered the first part. On your second point, depending on what you mean by "outside motion", the forthcoming Sonic GWR Large Praire has outside cylinders, crossheads & slide bars (the prototype's valve gear was inside of course) so they can do it.

Richard

Bigmac

Quote from: Richard Taylor on January 20, 2024, 01:31:55 AM
Quote from: Bigmac on January 19, 2024, 05:10:22 PMso--beside the 56xx gw tank loco--did sonic also do the j94 saddle tank and the j class tank with the holes in the side ? (the latter 2 held no interest for me--i dont do ER locos ).

Roy's answered the first part. On your second point, depending on what you mean by "outside motion", the forthcoming Sonic GWR Large Praire has outside cylinders, crossheads & slide bars (the prototype's valve gear was inside of course) so they can do it.

Richard

it will be interesting to see when it arrives.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Bigmac

Quote from: Roy L S on January 19, 2024, 05:55:03 PM

The 56xx is a Sonic product as is the J50 (with holes in the sides as you put it) the J94 (as it was classified in LNER parlance) is an EFE product and while the LNER did buy a number (75) it is actually a War Department Austerity product designed by RA Riddles and built by Hunslet and subcontractors so is more of an industrial loco.

i get confused between Sonic and Efe.  Did Efe make any other steam outline locos ?

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bigmac on January 20, 2024, 10:50:01 AMi get confused between Sonic and Efe.  Did Efe make any other steam outline locos ?

No. In fact, everything from EFE seems to have come from original ideas/CAD/tooling from Dave Jones now defunct D.J. Models.
The Clayton class 17, the Shark brake van, the Mermaid and the J94, although the latter is pure suspicion on my part. I'm just hoping the class 23 might appear :D

Bigmac

has Revolution made any steam locos ?

Roy L S

Quote from: Bigmac on January 20, 2024, 04:08:09 PMhas Revolution made any steam locos ?

Not in N but they are in the process of developing a rather lovely Vale of Rheidol loco in OO9.

Bigmac

Quote from: Roy L S on January 20, 2024, 05:26:38 PM
Quote from: Bigmac on January 20, 2024, 04:08:09 PMhas Revolution made any steam locos ?

Not in N but they are in the process of developing a rather lovely Vale of Rheidol loco in OO9.

perhaps Revo think the steam loco fraternity is all ready well served.  I wonder what THE most popular best selling steam loco so far NOT offered could be ?

bigdawgks

That's easy, Hogwarts Express. Not my thing but definitely will sell better than anything else.

Roy L S

Quote from: Bigmac on January 20, 2024, 07:11:43 PM

perhaps Revo think the steam loco fraternity is all ready well served.  I wonder what THE most polular best selling steam loco so far NOT offered could be ?
²

More a case of steam not being an area of great knowledge for the RevolutioN team whose expertise is more typically but not exclusively modern prototypes.

The second question is a really interesting one where you could as ten different people and each would probably give a different answer. For me if we are talking ready to run my thoughts based on the almost ever present Horncy model in OO would be the LMS Princess Royal Class.

Roy

Bigmac

Quote from: Roy L S on January 20, 2024, 08:19:16 PM
Quote from: Bigmac on January 20, 2024, 07:11:43 PM

perhaps Revo think the steam loco fraternity is all ready well served.  I wonder what THE most polular best selling steam loco so far NOT offered could be ?
²

More a case of steam not being an area of great knowledge for the RevolutioN team whose expertise is more typically but not exclusively modern prototypes.

The second question is a really interesting one where you could as ten different people and each would probably give a different answer. For me if we are talking ready to run my thoughts based on the almost ever present Horncy model in OO would be the LMS Princess Royal Class.

Roy

which begs the question--why havent "they"

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bigmac on January 20, 2024, 07:11:43 PMI wonder what THE most polular best selling steam loco so far NOT offered could be ?

Maybe until it's offered we won't know how popular it is ;)
As Roy says, all sorts of answers get given to various polls
A 2013 NGF poll and a 2014 RMWeb poll showed both the N15 King Arthur class and Lord Nelson classes high in the top 10 but would that be the same now?

PLD

Quote from: bigdawgks on January 20, 2024, 07:18:48 PMThat's easy, Hogwarts Express. Not my thing but definitely will sell better than anything else.
"Hogwarts Castle" was actually "Oulton Hall" in a dodgy paint scheme... Dapol already do a Hall (albeit they've not done factory finished version as HC yet, but at least a couple of repaints around) so it's a very safe bet that will NOT be the next Sonic Model (not that Sonic have actually been considered for at least the last dozen posts ::) )

bigdawgks

For sure it won't, I was just answering in the context of THE best selling locomotive that could be made. Personally I'm still hoping for an LMS 2P in the near future.

Bingley Hall

Wash, rinse, repeat, wash, rinse, repeat......  :sleep:

icairns

Just on the off chance that anyone remembers the original subject of this thread, I think there is one possible candidate to be Sonic's next loco – the LNER Class J72 0-6-0T.  I am suggesting this because I want one! 

Forum members may remember that both Dapol and Bachmann announced plans to produce a J72 model; Dapol in their 2014/15 catalogue and Bachmann in their 2015/16 catalogue.  (It always seemed odd to me that Bachmann would announce a model after Dapol had already announced their plans to produce a J72).

As we all know, neither manufacturer produced a model of this class.  I do not know the reasons for cancelling their plans but Bachmann stated that the model had been deferred because "they had identified a small number of models for which the current economic conditions do not favour further investment." 

I also heard stories that, because of the small size of the loco, "it was too difficult," even though we have had several very small RTR locos produced in N gauge. 

The NER Class E1 that became LNER Class J72 was unusual (possibly unique) in that the locos were built by the NER starting in 1898 (75 locos), the LNER (10 locos) and by BR (28 locos).  The loco design remained essentially unchanged throughout this building period. 

The longevity of the locomotives and the variety of livery options also strengthens the argument for consideration. 

I well remember seeing No. 68723 repainted in NER livery with both the NER coat-of arms and the BR late crest used for shunting work at Newcastle Central Station in the early 1960s. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77063039@N08/52294894226

A similar liveried version was also assigned to York Station shunting duties at the same time. 

The argument against the J72 in N gauge includes technical challenges producing a small tank loco (if this is, in fact real) and, more likely, because there have been two recent 0-6-0T locos produced to modern standards; the Sonic J50 and the EFE J94 austerity tank.  A layout can only use so many such locos. 

I think that a more realistic suggestion for Sonic is the LNER Class A5 (as previously discussed) as they have already produced such a model in 00, have already done the research, and will possibly be able to estimate potential N gauge sales based on actual 00 gauge sales.

Failing a RTR J72, how about a 3D print?  Anyone willing to try? 

Ian

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations