Does this loco look "jittery" to you?

Started by keiron99, January 13, 2024, 02:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keiron99

I just bought a new Kato FEF steam loco this week. Looks nice.

However, (and remember I'm a beginner so don't know what to judge against), it looks unsettled on the track to me. The back of the loco - the cab area - seems to wobble up and down, as though the wheels were perhaps not sitting on the rails or a little egg shaped (they are not, as far as I can see!)

I have tried to capture it on video. I'd appreciate if someone could take a look and give me their thoughts:
Kato loco

ntpntpntp

I think I see what you mean.  Does it have traction tyres on the rear driving wheels - maybe one is not sitting on its groove properly?
It's bumping a little on the track joints, but Unitrack joints aren't always as smooth as other brands.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

martyn

It does seem to have a bit of a wobble.

Can you run it a slowish speed and see if the wobble correlates to one revolution of the wheels, or whether it is only at track joints?

Martyn

keiron99

Quote from: ntpntpntp on January 13, 2024, 02:22:07 PMI think I see what you mean.  Does it have traction tyres on the rear driving wheels - maybe one is not sitting on its groove properly?
It's bumping a little on the track joints, but Unitrack joints aren't always as smooth as other brands.
Thanks. I took a close look. There are no traction tyres.

keiron99

Quote from: martyn on January 13, 2024, 02:33:48 PMIt does seem to have a bit of a wobble.

Can you run it a slowish speed and see if the wobble correlates to one revolution of the wheels, or whether it is only at track joints?

Martyn

Thanks, Martyn. This is just about as slow as I could run it.

I can't see any obvious pattern to it!

ntpntpntp

Quote from: keiron99 on January 13, 2024, 05:27:12 PMThere are no traction tyres.

Interesting, a couple of youtube reviews I've just watched say it has, looks like on the 2nd to last drivers?   They both got it to crawl somewhat slower than in your last video. 
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

weave

Hi Keiron,

Might be my eyesight but are the rear bogies on the loco on the track properly?

I can see that they're smaller wheels than the rest but they seem to be off track and my Kato locos are good at keeping going even if slightly off track unlike other makes which let you know.

Apologies if being a numpty but just a thought.

Thanks, weave.

keiron99

Quote from: ntpntpntp on January 13, 2024, 07:58:29 PM
Quote from: keiron99 on January 13, 2024, 05:27:12 PMThere are no traction tyres.

Interesting, a couple of youtube reviews I've just watched say it has, looks like on the 2nd to last drivers?   They both got it to crawl somewhat slower than in your last video. 
My apologies. You are absolutely right. I had to zoom in on my phone with the bright light to see! But yes, they are there, and they are in tact.

And I have actually got it to crawl a bit slower...but it doesn't really shed any more light on things.

keiron99

Quote from: weave on January 13, 2024, 09:04:44 PMHi Keiron,

Might be my eyesight but are the rear bogies on the loco on the track properly?

I can see that they're smaller wheels than the rest but they seem to be off track and my Kato locos are good at keeping going even if slightly off track unlike other makes which let you know.

Apologies if being a numpty but just a thought.

Thanks, weave.
I've just been trying again and made absolutely certain that all wheels are on the track. It's made all the more difficult by the fact the loco is so long, it doesn't even fit on the Kato rerailer!

In fact, I think the sheer length of the loco may be the problem. Perhaps this is a "feature" rather than a "fault". I say this because watching Youtube videos, I observe the same thing. There are so many parts, (the body the chassis, the wheels) which are all capable of moving independently of each other it seems inevitable there will be some wobble; and because the loco is so long, a fraction of a millimetre movement at one end is greatly exaggerated at the other.

martyn

To my eyesight, it looks as if the kicking is once per revolution, corresponding to the coupling rods on view moving upwards; the cab seems to move upwards at the moment this occurs, and vice versa. Dirt on wheels?

I don't have Kato locos, and have no experience of them, but they generally have a very good reputation.

If it is brand new, have you considered asking the seller for replacement?

Martyn

Bealman

Yes, it's a mystery... Kato models are well known for their excellent running qualities. Sending it back would seem to be the best option at the moment.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations