BR era coach rake

Started by Jaguar68, February 10, 2018, 07:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnlambert

Quote from: NeMo on February 12, 2018, 10:29:42 AM
Quote from: Jaguar68 on February 11, 2018, 06:47:09 PM
Thanks for your replies chaps. I have a spare Class 33 body in NSE, so the loco is not a problem.

Indeed not. Opens up some options!

What about building a 4-TC set? I say building, but with Electra Graphics, what we're really talking about is stripping some old Farish bodies and then carefully applying some vinyls! Very straightforward, and for pocket-money prices, you can end up with something that's more than acceptable. A little bit of weathering is useful to take the shine off the vinyl, and if you look at the current NGS Journal, you can see my article on distressing Mk1 coach roofs using nothing more than salt, water, an airbrush, and a few paints.

http://electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk/tf491.htm

http://www.semgonline.com/gallery/class438_1.html

The thing with the 4-TC set is that it was designed to be hauled or pushed by a Class 33. Mostly working the Bournemouth route, but it's your layout, so if you want to invent another working, then that's 100% fine. It's also a definite option for the NSE era.

Cheers, NeMo

I seem to recall a Class 33 and 4TC set was used on a Strood-Gillingham shuttle when either Strood or Higham tunnels needed work and through services to London were not possible (I think London services terminated at Higham with bus connection to Strood).  I think a Class 33 and 4TC even did rail tours after they were withdrawn from the Bournemouth route (I've seen a picture of the set at Leamington, I think) so there's a way to justify that train appearing just about anywhere.

Jaguar68

Thanks again chaps for the replies and suggestions. The 4-TC would work, as the layout is not area specific. All I need to do is source some Mk 1's to do the conversations.

Regards

John

Newportnobby

Quote from: Jaguar68 on February 12, 2018, 08:05:48 PM
All I need to do is source some Mk 1's to do the conversations.

Will they travel at full chat?

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

NeMo

Quote from: Jaguar68 on February 12, 2018, 08:05:48 PM
Thanks again chaps for the replies and suggestions. The 4-TC would work, as the layout is not area specific. All I need to do is source some Mk 1's to do the conversions.

Model train shows are worth visiting for all sorts of reasons, but you can often find vintage Mk1s kicking about for under a tenner. Those'd be perfect for this. I used nail polish remover to clean the paintwork off the bodies (once removed from the roof and chassis, of course).

Hattons and such offer older Mk1s but the prices they ask are a bit silly -- I certainly wouldn't be spending 17 quid on a pre-Blue Riband coach that was going to be stripped down anyways!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Jaguar68

Bloody autocorrect!!!

I will have a look out for some Mk1's at local shows. 17 quid for items to refurbish is a little steep!!!

d-a-n

I've been reading the book BR blue 5 Passengers & Parcels by John Deadman which contains a lot of class 33 haulage around the Southampton/New Forest Area. Blue Grey mk1s on cross country services are usually in the formation SO, BSK, CK, SO - putting the guard and 1st class in the middle of the train, you can the tack another SO/SK on the end if you've got them spare - this order reminds me of the cl421 4CIGs I went to college on with the guard in the middle. It just looks to my eye a bit awkward without a brake at the end; quite a departure from the 'train set' rake  First up front, then second class and then brake I am fond of the look of.

One of the other Southern region fixed rakes photographed in the late 70s in the book is the traditional southern BSK, CK, BSK rake. If my memory serves me correct, this can sometimes have a few BG and GUV carriages behind - these are on their way to making a parcels trains elsewhere.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations