Vote for your most wanted locos in the NGF Survey

Started by Newportnobby, May 09, 2012, 08:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Obscure sells sometimes (and dives others)

Look at the success of the research livery stock and Network Rail stuff. Ask Adam how well the EWS train sells.  All those blue pullman pre-orders.

Even in the kit space this is often true. I've sold more four wheel hearses than any individual other four wheel coach I think !

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Roy L S

Quote from: EtchedPixels on June 03, 2012, 03:01:38 PM
Obscure sells sometimes (and dives others)

Look at the success of the research livery stock and Network Rail stuff. Ask Adam how well the EWS train sells.  All those blue pullman pre-orders.

Even in the kit space this is often true. I've sold more four wheel hearses than any individual other four wheel coach I think !

Alan

Hi Alan

I am sure that you are much better informed than me, and in truth I am glad to hear it.

There are obscure models (well actually some not even that obscure) that I would love to own but cannot see the "big boys" ever doing.

The D49 "Shire/Hunt" 4-4-0 for one. Farish even do the "Group Standard" tender-drive for the B1 that would be totally suitable which would mitigate tooling cost but I guess even then  it will never be a model they would risk money on even with all the attractive names they carried.

I know we cannot expect everything on a plate, and in the case of the D49, I did have a go at scratchbuilding one myself with a UM tender-drive to power it, but with my limited skills my efforts will never be near the same league as what we see RTR now, and that's probably why people do not try to so much these days. Not sure if that is good or bad, but I do think it is the reality of it.

Anyway, I will upload a pic of the D49 to my media folder in case any one is interested!

Regards

Roy

Newportnobby

I believe Roy said it all in his reply #59.
The mainstream manufacturers might take note of maybe the top 3 from each section in the belief it would sell sufficient numbers to warrant tooling.
To be sure a wish list is exactly what is says, but anything with one vote will not even register on their radar. I have no axe to grind and am just collating the results but in all honesty we will only be forwarding to the manufacturers the most popular requests in each section.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: newportnobby on June 03, 2012, 04:53:32 PM
I believe Roy said it all in his reply #59.
The mainstream manufacturers might take note of maybe the top 3 from each section in the belief it would sell sufficient numbers to warrant tooling.
To be sure a wish list is exactly what is says, but anything with one vote will not even register on their radar. I have no axe to grind and am just collating the results but in all honesty we will only be forwarding to the manufacturers the most popular requests in each section.

Hi

That's fair enough but you asked for my most wanted which is what I sent.

To answer the person who mentioned building them myself I already have but I can never hope to reach the standards of the mainstream manufacturers.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

H

Quote from: Roy L S on June 02, 2012, 11:32:05 AM

Diesel: -

- Class 105 DMU.
- Upgraded Class 25.
- Upgraded Class 40.
- Class 416 EMU.
- Motor Luggage Van.

Wow, a diesel class 416 (2EPB) and class 419 (MLV). That'd be something unique and diferent.  :smiley-laughing:

And, of course, the new Bachmann OO electric class 85 is missing from the list as a candidate.

H.

H

Quote from: PaulCheffus on June 03, 2012, 01:26:12 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on May 20, 2012, 10:00:46 PM

I know it is a wish-list but there is voting for some very obscure stuff that will never be considered mainstream by Dapol/Farish. It would help our cause if this was taken into consideration when casting your votes

Sorry but some of the obscure stuff is what I would like and therefore would vote for. If you are not interested in a true picture why bother?

Yep, I agree with Paul.

It's a wish/wants list so why consider and rule some out?

H.

keerout

Quote from: H on June 06, 2012, 07:28:42 AM
Quote from: PaulCheffus on June 03, 2012, 01:26:12 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on May 20, 2012, 10:00:46 PM

I know it is a wish-list but there is voting for some very obscure stuff that will never be considered mainstream by Dapol/Farish. It would help our cause if this was taken into consideration when casting your votes

Sorry but some of the obscure stuff is what I would like and therefore would vote for. If you are not interested in a true picture why bother?

Yep, I agree with Paul.

It's a wish/wants list so why consider and rule some out?

H.

I agree....
G.

Pengi

Just to clear up any confusion - nothing is being ruled out from this survey (apart from locos already in production and even then we will make a note of these). We want a true picture of the locos that you would like the manufacturers to produce.

Just to remind you

You can vote for six "locos". You can have any combination of A) steamers, B) diesel locos and C) electric locos, D) DMUs and E) EMUs as long as you do not exceed three votes in each any one category. For example, you can vote for two EMUs, one DMU, two steamers and one diesel but, for example, you cannot vote for four steamers or six EMUs.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

tcinbg

Quote from: Pendy on June 06, 2012, 10:50:42 AM
Just to clear up any confusion - nothing is being ruled out from this survey (apart from locos already in production and even then we will make a note of these). We want a true picture of the locos that you would like the manufacturers to produce.

Quote from: newportnobby on June 03, 2012, 04:53:32 PM

tcinbg

Having added my two pennies worth I would just like to say that up to now this forum has been a breath of fresh air in the model railway forum world. I sincerely hope it continues in its former state.

I can understand both points of view, those of us modelling earlier eras need locomotives of an earlier period, so early that the two main producers are unlikely to make them.

We are very protective of our layouts and want to use prototypical stock. A few can scratch build them, many cannot, so we look to manufacturers to do that for us.

This poll started out as a means for us, as a group, to make our wish list plain to the major producers. Recently it does appear to have changed direction. My feeling is that it would be nice for all our wishes to be included in the lists, with of course the provision of a statement that we are aware that the producers are not likely to produce some of those asked for. At least they would be aware of a possible market that are not filling.

4x2

Quote from: tcinbg on June 06, 2012, 03:33:33 PM
Having added my two pennies worth I would just like to say that up to now this forum has been a breath of fresh air in the model railway forum world. I sincerely hope it continues in its former state.

I can understand both points of view, those of us modelling earlier eras need locomotives of an earlier period, so early that the two main producers are unlikely to make them.

We are very protective of our layouts and want to use prototypical stock. A few can scratch build them, many cannot, so we look to manufacturers to do that for us.

This poll started out as a means for us, as a group, to make our wish list plain to the major producers. Recently it does appear to have changed direction. My feeling is that it would be nice for all our wishes to be included in the lists, with of course the provision of a statement that we are aware that the producers are not likely to produce some of those asked for. At least they would be aware of a possible market that are not filling.
I agree, all votes should be entered - being an odd one out didn't stop Heljan from producing 'Lion' or 'Falcon' in 'OO'....
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Lawrence

The other side of the coin though Mike is if we submit all the results and Dapol sees that only 1 person out of x hundreds of votes voted for a particular loco, they will just dismiss it from their though process immediately.

If we give them the top 3 or 5, it leaves that seed of doubt in their minds and with any luck they may even get back to us here and ask us to get feedback from our members on loco xyz

4x2

Quote from: Lawrence on June 06, 2012, 04:25:25 PM
The other side of the coin though Mike is if we submit all the results and Dapol sees that only 1 person out of x hundreds of votes voted for a particular loco, they will just dismiss it from their though process immediately.

If we give them the top 3 or 5, it leaves that seed of doubt in their minds and with any luck they may even get back to us here and ask us to get feedback from our members on loco xyz
To be honest it's a tough call either way...

I would like all votes to be shown in the vain hope that some of the less obvious stuff gets a look - sowing the seeds if you like....
However if only the most popular votes are shown it will leave no doubt as to what they should produce next.

Like i said - It's a tough call, i don't envy you Moderators - this is bound to upset somebody  ::)
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

shantyjohn

How about sending the suppliers a percentage list, that way even a class with one vote will register.

Shantyjohn

Roy L S

[[/quote]

Wow, a diesel class 416 (2EPB) and class 419 (MLV). That'd be something unique and diferent.  :smiley-laughing:

And, of course, the new Bachmann OO electric class 85 is missing from the list as a candidate.

H.
[/quote]

Hi H

I did notice that I should have said Diesel/Electric after I'd posted but chose not to go back and change it as I was sure people would understand the gist of what I was saying, but there's always one ;D

Yep, forgot the 85 - thanks for the reminder!

Regards

Roy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations