Yet another Dapol moan thread

Started by TheEdge, March 21, 2017, 04:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wizbit44

Re.I also have more trouble with dapol chassis now than when they first started to produce in n gauge plus other things ie detail coming loose from body paint blemish and so forth , May be they have over stretch them selves with producing other scales ,also dapol and farish release dates are more sporadic than say ok gauge ,maybe this is just that n gauge is still lagging behind in many aspects

austinbob

Quote from: wizbit44 on March 25, 2017, 09:30:11 AM
Re.I also have more trouble with dapol chassis now than when they first started to produce in n gauge plus other things ie detail coming loose from body paint blemish and so forth , May be they have over stretch them selves with producing other scales ,also dapol and farish release dates are more sporadic than say ok gauge ,maybe this is just that n gauge is still lagging behind in many aspects
Looks like you've just joined the forum wizbit44. Welcome and be assured that there are only a few gloomy threads like this one.
The forum is full of ideas and help. Just ask if you have a problem and post about your N gauge interests and layouts etc.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Bealman

Interesting, for sure.

It seems to me that what is forgotten is the physical restraints of N.

The models are small, and comparisons to 00 models are to me, pointless.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

broadsword

Re physical restraints do Z gauge modellers have the same rate of loco
failure, only I or 2 suppliers in that gauge AFAIK.

austinbob

Quote from: broadsword on March 25, 2017, 09:56:00 AM
Re physical restraints do Z gauge modellers have the same rate of loco
failure, only I or 2 suppliers in that gauge AFAIK.
But how much do they cost compared to N gauge dodgy locos!!
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

broadsword

They cost quite a bit more, but then N gauge locos are almost
the same price as OO/HO.

Bealman

The only reason I'm interested in Z gauge is to add a narrow gauge to my layout.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

austinbob

Bob Austin

red_death

Quote from: Yet_Another on March 25, 2017, 09:08:36 AM
There are approximately the same number of contributors to both this and his tribute thread, but this one is twice as long.

A disappointing observation confirming the assertion that complaints outnumber praise.

All I think that demonstrates is that people are more likely to complain than to praise.  I've had very few problems with Dapol locos (a couple) but haven't bothered to post on the tribute page.

I think the major thing people are forgetting is that these are handbuilt reasonably complex models produced in their hundreds or low thousands (compared to say a solid state piece of consumer electronics produced in hundreds of thousands or millions). It is all very well saying design out problems (costs a considerable amount (compared to the low production numbers) in terms of R&D) or test everyone (doesn't really prove much except that it works in the factory - plenty can go wrong in shipping and continued operation), but will people pay considerably more?

The N gauge market is so shallow that I doubt you can produce a minimum of 1000 (and preferably more) with higher prices - some will happily pay, but a significant proportion won't (and will complain about being priced out).

Cheers, Mike

johnlambert

Quote from: red_death on March 25, 2017, 10:41:20 AM
Quote from: Yet_Another on March 25, 2017, 09:08:36 AM
There are approximately the same number of contributors to both this and his tribute thread, but this one is twice as long.

A disappointing observation confirming the assertion that complaints outnumber praise.

All I think that demonstrates is that people are more likely to complain than to praise.  I've had very few problems with Dapol locos (a couple) but haven't bothered to post on the tribute page.

I think the major thing people are forgetting is that these are handbuilt reasonably complex models produced in their hundreds or low thousands (compared to say a solid state piece of consumer electronics produced in hundreds of thousands or millions). It is all very well saying design out problems (costs a considerable amount (compared to the low production numbers) in terms of R&D) or test everyone (doesn't really prove much except that it works in the factory - plenty can go wrong in shipping and continued operation), but will people pay considerably more?

The N gauge market is so shallow that I doubt you can produce a minimum of 1000 (and preferably more) with higher prices - some will happily pay, but a significant proportion won't (and will complain about being priced out).

Cheers, Mike

Good points, Mike. I think N gauge locos must present a unique set of engineering challenges. The size is small, the number of parts is high, the production volumes are small and the market is price sensitive.

I don't think it's wrong to want locos to work straight out of the box and to keep working for a reasonable length of time. But I'm not sure that it is possible to apply the standards of other consumer goods that are made in larger numbers and/or are less complicated to make.

For what it's worth I've had failures from both Graham Farish and Dapol locos. I am also as disappointed as anyone at the recent announcement that certain models have been deferred (whether temporarily or permanently we don't know).

In the future I hope Dapol is able to deliver some more new N gauge models and also deliver improved quality for all the models it makes.

Nik96

Quote from: Only Me on March 24, 2017, 07:57:00 PM
@Nik96  whats the other one close to Royston then pls, i thought there was only KS or are we talking Trains4you in Peterborough?
Cheers paul

There is/was a shop in Saffron Walden I was made aware of. It's possibly closer if you're going from Royston. There name escapes me.
4 Layouts in, I've never got further than ballasting track. 5th time lucky?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations