Your Most Unusual Train?

Started by Claude Dreyfus, January 26, 2011, 10:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poliss

This website for fine tuning decoders might help. http://www.nmra.org.au/gndu/EasyDCC/Decoders.pdf
DecoderPro might work with the Multizentrale.
The Rocomotion software that comes with the Multizentrale might be able to do the same things, but I've just had a very brief look at it so can't be certain.

D306Whistler

I have little experience in the DCC field as I have only ever tried it on the OO gauge railways. I use the traditional DC system on my N gauge layout for the reason is that most of the older Tomix models are a pig to install DCC into. Not only that, some older Kato locomotives I have in my fleet have very limited or no space inside to fit a decoder :(. But I am not too fussed really as I am happy with old system as my Gaugemaster Series D can handle almost anything I run on the track unlike my old Lima lump that threw more fits than I can remember!

Also with my layout only being 6 feet by 4 feet, its not big enough to justify going DCC as thats more beneficial to larger layouts unless some of you here run a fleet of sound fitted trains or have a large depot on the layout where more than one locomotive will share the same lane. But thats another matter! ;). On a positive note though, the newer Kato locomotives and units are DCC friendly and they have a "slot-in" decoder to allow "plug & play" operation.

But while I am on the subject of locomotives, I am planning on getting a Kato EF510 in the JR red livery next as thats a nice locomotive ;). I might as well throw in another Class 60 while I am at it too.
Check out my YouTube channel here
My Flickr Transport & Model Railway Gallery!

If you say "pls" because its shorter than "please", I will say "no" because its shorter than "yes" :P.

OwL

I have a re-paint grafar class 37 in GIF livery, these being hired out from EWS to Spain on infastructure works, its a good runner too, excellent paint job.....

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

upnick

Hi All,   

Here is  a  Union Pacific  U50    loco it  came from the factory some years ago Kato chassis'd  with a Con Cor body i  converted it to DCC  with a TCS  M1  decoder  & it  has a rear  red  light  directional   front lighting  of course also  good weight chassis  it happily pulls a 12 ft  freight train  all  day long if asked.     ;D  the  Union  Pacific  turbine loco shares the same chassis.

quinntopia

That U50 reminded me of something...big trains...REALLY big trains...in fact O Gauge trains.  I think I have the strangest.  Yes, its O Gauge, Lionel style 3 rail...this was my original passion before I got smart and switched to N!

But the locomotive there in the middle....anyone know it?  ;)

Its called "The Phantom", and its a fantasy locomotive made by Lionel back in 1999.   It was so unusual and cool, it got me interested in trains for the first time in 25 years!

Lawrence

Must be quite a collectors piece Q, looks like it came out of one of those early 1950's sci fi programs

D306Whistler

I think I've seen it in James Bond! ;) ;D.
Check out my YouTube channel here
My Flickr Transport & Model Railway Gallery!

If you say "pls" because its shorter than "please", I will say "no" because its shorter than "yes" :P.

quinntopia

It really is a a cool locomotive....has all sorts of weird sounds as well (It has Lionel's 'proprietary' digital system)!  Its actually the one piece from my O Gauge collection I've kept (sold off the rest to get funds for my diversion to N!)

Shiney Sheff

Vulcan

I built a model of 13001, one of the master and slave 08s that used to propel wagons over the hump at Tinsley yard. built by converting a pair of farish 08s. They are also electrically connected, so never stall on any kind of pointwork. They will pull pretty much anything you put them on. I thought I had a photo of them, but apparently not.
Cheers,

David

Vulcan

Not N gauge, but I also built a 4mm static model of the Bennie Railplane. This was an electric powered monorail, which propelled itself by a propellor at each end. It was invented by Scotsman George Bennie, and he built a quarter mile demonstration track at Milngavie near Glasgow. Unfortunately it didn't get any takers, due to the fact it requires hundreds of tons of structural steelwork for every mile, and the second world war happened and kinda ruined it. Bennie had invested a lot of his own mony into the test track, and died a poor man. The test track and car survived into the 1950s before being broken up. One crazy scheme I have in my head is to make a working model of it in N gauge. The whole track could be built to scale on an 8' long board!

If this seems familiar, its because it was in the 'show and tell' pages of Model Rail once. I won a Dremel for it!
Cheers,

David

SymonC

Not my most unusual train but saw this today :

Knitted Flying Scotsman! 

Is this the future surely Knitted trains would be quite cheap! ;D

Dock Shunter

A knitted train..........Are you trying to pull the wool over our eyes Symon. :smiley-laughing: :thumbsup:

SymonC

Quote from: Dock Shunter on April 14, 2011, 11:30:51 AM
A knitted train..........Are you trying to pull the wool over our eyes Symon. :smiley-laughing: :thumbsup:

Very good!  ;D

More details here, it's not quite N gauge being 3ft long!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-13066505

fisherman

....not my most unusual train.....

but I have  just seen an amusing etched brass set of inlays....

for Road Kill !!!!!

( don't think my grand daughters would appreciate that one!)
<o({{{<<

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations