What's your favourite N Gauge layout?

Started by Candy Apple Head, July 05, 2014, 07:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candy Apple Head

Pretty self explanatory really. What is your favourite N Gauge layout you've seen?

My favourite is probably Elvinley. I came across it and was stunned at the realism - it's hard to believe it's an N Gauge layout; in fact it is better than a lot of 00 layouts I've seen. I find it quite inspirational as it's a layout built for personal enjoyment rather than exhibiting, and also the way it looks is in some ways similar to what I'm trying to achieve with mine.

scotsoft

I would agree with you, you just cannot beat any of his layouts for realism  :admiration:

cheers John.

richie894

Good topic. I always enjoy looking at pics of this one (Easthampton)...

http://easthampton.cybotic.net/

Ben A

Hello all,

Elvinley looks very nice in the photos but I've not seen it in the flesh, so to speak.

The layout that for me set the gold standard, and is still probably my all time favourite, is Acton Mainline.  Just superb.  Sorry I can't load any photos as I don't have any.  It is now reincarnated as Dragonby, and still on the circuit though.

cheers

Ben A.

DCCDave

Totnes does it for me

[smg id=13725 type=preview align=center caption="Totnes water"]

[smg id=13726 type=preview align=center caption="Totnes overview"]

Cheers
Dave

Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Roy L S

Riddings Junction (1964), Waverley Route, East Neuk MRC if I recall correctly.

Saw it at Warley a good few years ago, I was captivated by it, working signals courtesy of Embedded Controls, a Seuthe smoke unit strategically located under the loco on the Langholm Branch platform. It looke fantastic and ran superbly.

I often wonder what became of it..

Roy

Bealman

Fence Houses. I know it is 2FS, but I used to live there!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

bees

For me, Woodhead, captures the essence of the Iconic route.

Steven
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

NeMo

Quote from: bees on July 06, 2014, 07:36:36 AM
For me, Woodhead, captures the essence of the Iconic route.
This was one of the layouts the sprung to my mind when this thread started. Of course is 2 mm fine scale not N gauge.

I got to see it for real a couple years ago, I think at St Albans. It does indeed look amazing, and the 2mm Class 76s are works of art. However, and I say this with massive respect to the layout builders and operators, it isn't particularly interesting to watch. It's really all about the kit-built locos and providing them with a realistic place to run, rather than (arguably) toy train set levels of playability.

By way of contrast, another 2mm FS layout, St Ruth, was at St Albans this year. I thought it had everything: lovely handmade buildings, beautifully done seafront scenery, and plenty of interesting train operations. If I recall correctly, there were iPad type things on the top of the display announcing what was happening, so you could see there was a sort of timetable of activities, and you didn't have to wait for long to see some shunting or a train leaving or whatever. It was pretty cool, and I remember spending a lot more time watching St Ruth than I did the Woodhead Route MSW layout.

Getting back to the actual question, favourite N gauge layouts, one that really sticks in my mind as top quality is Frankland. It just comes across as a real labour of love, and the amount of detail is amazing.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

kirky

Quote from: Bealman on July 06, 2014, 12:18:43 AM
Fence Houses. I know it is 2FS, but I used to live there!
I think it used to be N didn't it?
Anyway if you re including 2milFS, then it's gotta be Copenhagen Fields
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Bealman

Yep on both counts, mate. Fence Houses did used to be N, and Copenhagen Fields is, of course, totally awesome.

I just happened to see Fence Houses at the Wigan show, and I'll probably never see it again, so it is fresh in me mind.  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Plainline.

Roy L S

Quote from: Bealman on July 06, 2014, 11:31:56 AM
Yep on both counts, mate. Fence Houses did used to be N, and Copenhagen Fields is, of course, totally awesome.

I just happened to see Fence Houses at the Wigan show, and I'll probably never see it again, so it is fresh in me mind.  :thumbsup:

George

Fence-houses used to be N?

There was another Fence Houses layout in N, I believe, owned by the same person (Bob Jones?) but my understanding was that this current layout was always conceived and built as a 2mil project.

Happy to stand corrected...

Roy

NeMo

I hope we can get back to the original question about the best N gauge layouts.

Talking about 2 mm finescale is a bit like someone asking about the best 00 layouts and getting lots of relies about HO or EM/P4/S4 layouts instead. Interesting, but not relevant.

Finescale layouts are made by expert modellers who enjoy (at the very least) the engineering side of things and more than likely scratch build their buildings and kit build their rolling stock. N gauge modellers are more likely to use commercial stuff, and instead the flair comes from the scenics and details. Given the nature of this forum, I'd reckon such stuff is more relevant here, and arguably more inspirational because it's doable even without a shed full of power tools and 30 years of metalworking experience. But maybe that's just me!

Elvinely, Frankland, Lofthole... these are examples of N gauge layouts that inspire me to do better.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations