Atso-Cad Models

Started by Stevie DC, December 06, 2013, 09:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie DC

Quote from: Roy L S on January 02, 2014, 11:42:06 AMWhen I get a few mins at the weekend I will put a pic of the chassis in my Media folder. It is very straightforward to modify. I have left the traction weight in situ as it makes no difference to the UM drive's capacity but was thinking about reducing the height slightly.

Fixing the body will involve nothing more than double sided tape which is surprisingly effective.

i am also considering adding a basic cab interior as there is no motor/flywheel to acommodate now.

Regards

Roy

Thanks Roy. I'd keep the V2 chassis weight personally as it will only improve it's road handling if retained. In my pre 3D printing days I tried one without the weight on a scratchbuild and found it had a devil of a time staying on the track!

Have you got any pictures of your progress to date please?

Cheers

geminijkr

Hi Steve/ Roy,
I would probably go for a package of K2/J6 based on what you are suggesting. I have an aversion to changing wheels and valve gear but have no problem making the other changes suggested.  I don't think the tender wheel spacing is critical as long as the axle boxes are in line with the axles as no one ever comments on the Union Mills tender wheels even when I haven't painted them black. You really have to be a rivet counter to notice the difference as the tender chassis and axles boxes disguise the differences.

Now I am committed to the K3 I like the idea I can put a crew on the footplate.
Regards
Keith

Stevie DC

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the feedback regarding this years models. The nice thing about the modern Farish wheels before they switched to split frame chassis is that they are interchangeable. As you'd likely need to remove the wheels and valve gear for the K2 conversion anyway then surely you may as well swap the wheels as well. The J6 will need the 4MT wheels to be approximately to scale.

Glad you've chosen to go for the K3, scratch building a footplate and basic backhead shouldn't be too difficult.  :D

geminijkr

Looks like 2014 is going to be an interesting year.
Keith

Dorsetmike

I'd like to see a few SR - ex LSWR - types, an Adams tender body to fit the UM drive, the UM 0395 has a Drummond tender same as the 700 class and T9 which is incorrect, with that available some other Adams classes become possible, A12 0-4-2,  and one of the later Adams 4-4-0s, class  X6, (same body could almost be used for  for X2 and T3 and T6,- different drivers or spacing))  X6  probably the better choice of the 4, due to drivers at 6'7 and 9'0" spacing; can a chassis be printed as part of the body, or as a separate item? UM will, I believe, sell a set of drivers, would need to know sizes so nearest to correct can be ordered  (and wheel spacing if they are supplied with coupling rods - I can measure up a T9 and 2P and may also still have a set for a D20)

Other ex LSWR classes which lasted well were Drummond 4-4-0s, of classes K10, L11, S11, L12 and D15, the only Drummond 4-6-0 to survive to BR days was the T14, considerably modified by Maunsell.

I notice an earlier mention of an N15, King Arthur, BHE do a white metal kit which can be hacked to produce a reasonable model but not if using the Poole black 5 chassis, I've used Peco Jubilee loco chassis and a UM drive with extra pair of wheems,

A Lord Nelson would be good too, I'm currently hacking a Farish Scot into one with a Minitrix 2077 tender drive.

Bogie side frames with axle boxes for Urie/Maunsell  8 wheel tenders and a method of fixing them under the BHE N15 tender body  I would find very useful.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Stevie DC

Hi Mike,

Yes the Union Mills components do lend themselves to some relatively easy inside cylinder 4-4-0 types. Your kind offer of measuring up some of your collection is most appreciated and gratefully accepted - I'll PM you when I'm in a position to accept this. I too believe that Union Mills will sell this components separately, at least I've never had any problems ordering spares in the past.

Out of all the classes you identify, I've definitely you a set for the L1. I may have some of the others as well but I will have to finish sorting through my magazine collection to identify what I have and haven't got.

I've been thinking that some of the newer loco powered Farish offerings could potentially be used to great effect, thus removing the need to source an expensive German eight wheel tender - are either the Fleischmann or Minitrix offerings close to an SR tender?

The Peco and Farish Jubilee/Scott classes do lend themselves to a number of conversions - I'm looking to do a GCR Sam Fay purely as a personal project in the future using this loco chassis.

Bogie side frames sound like a useful part to print. Which tender would these be for? I've got a Fleischmann class 39 tender somewhere that I could measure up but if it is for the Minitrix tender would you be able to help out here?

Thank you so much for the input on the Southern loco possibilities, but first up will be the bodies based on the Farish 4MT chassis - once I've sourced one at a competitive price...

To Geminijkr - fingers crossed 2014 will most certainly be an interesting year!  ;)

Sithlord75

Since no one has mentioned diesels yet - Class 28 anyone?  I know there was a kit - I have one somewhere - but I don't think it is still in production.  Chassis was a Class 20 with a Class 31 bogie IIRC.
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Sithlord75 on February 04, 2014, 12:21:43 PM
Since no one has mentioned diesels yet - Class 28 anyone?  I know there was a kit - I have one somewhere - but I don't think it is still in production.  Chassis was a Class 20 with a Class 31 bogie IIRC.

Class 31 with a class 20 bogie added.

There was an Ian Stoate kit with cast ends and etched body middle.

Allen Doherty (Worsley Works) does a set of etches for the class 28. I have most of the 3D print artwork for one done but have been distracted by more interesting things 8)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Stevie DC

Hi all,

It has been awhile, but things are slowly moving forward.

Sorry for those who have seen my 3D printing topic but the SECR H Class is largely complete now. I need to source an M7 chassis to check that everything will fit and design a replacement bogie.

A start has also been made on a Peppercorn K1

Hopefully both these will join the range soon.

talisman56

The 'H' is looking the dogs dangly bits...  :thumbsup: I'll keep my eye on that one.

Any progress on the LBSCR 'K'? I'm looking for a bit more variety in the mixed-traffic Mogul department...

I'd also ask for a C2X but that looks like a standard UM job (inside cylinder 0-6-0)... although your 3D print might be a bit more flexible depending on whether the end-user wants a single or double-domed version. :)
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

gelboy45

Hi.

I am really interested in the H Class as I plan a Kentish layout. I have an M7 chassis waiting.....

Gerry

Stevie DC

Quote from: talisman56 on July 13, 2014, 06:12:10 PM
The 'H' is looking the dogs dangly bits...  :thumbsup: I'll keep my eye on that one.

Any progress on the LBSCR 'K'? I'm looking for a bit more variety in the mixed-traffic Mogul department...

I'd also ask for a C2X but that looks like a standard UM job (inside cylinder 0-6-0)... although your 3D print might be a bit more flexible depending on whether the end-user wants a single or double-domed version. :)

Thanks talisman!

The K Class is currently waiting for me to pluck up the courage to strip down a 4MT chassis to measure/map out into CAD to see where the compromises to the body need to be made (if acceptable compromises exist) - as does the LNER Gresley K2...

C2X sounds interesting, but as you said this sounds right up UM's street. Knowing my luck I'll design it and they'll announce it as their next model (as they did after I'd spent ages designing a Claud Hamilton body  ::) )

gelboy, thanks for the interest in the H Class. I'll have it out as soon as I've source a chassis to ensure that everything fits as it should!  8)

gelboy45

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Would use of my chassis hasten release?

Gerry

CarriageShed

Quote from: Atso on July 13, 2014, 07:37:38 PM

Why not give Colin a call and discuss future projects to see if anything clashes? From all I've heard he's very approachable, so it should be okay.

Stevie DC

For those who haven't seen elsewhere, the K1 has been given a little more detailing.

Gerry, I may well take you up on that. Please keep in mind though that the chassis will need to be irreversibly altered to shorten it for the H.

Pete33, if I get around to thinking about such a class, I'll give Colin a call. He does seem to be leaning back to LNER types at the moment though.  :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations