i`d really like it if they did.......in n gauge

Started by matt-b, January 04, 2011, 05:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengi

Quote from: railsquid on October 29, 2014, 12:45:29 AM
Quote from: PostModN66 on October 27, 2014, 09:50:24 PM
I will have a look for Fleischmann points. I know all about the Kato number 4s, having modified 17 of them for Lofthole to get Dapol 66s to run through them!

Cheers  Jon   :)

Out of curiosity, what was the issue with the Kato #4s? I checked your layout thread which says "and all the points needed modding, as documented elsewhere", but haven't found the "elsewhere". My Dapol 58 has mastered them without any evident problems.
Kato #4s can have issues with older stock. There are quite a few articles about it on the web and on this forum. Here is one with photos
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

railsquid

Quote from: Pengi on October 29, 2014, 12:13:35 PM
Quote from: railsquid on October 29, 2014, 12:45:29 AM
Quote from: PostModN66 on October 27, 2014, 09:50:24 PM
I will have a look for Fleischmann points. I know all about the Kato number 4s, having modified 17 of them for Lofthole to get Dapol 66s to run through them!

Cheers  Jon   :)

Out of curiosity, what was the issue with the Kato #4s? I checked your layout thread which says "and all the points needed modding, as documented elsewhere", but haven't found the "elsewhere". My Dapol 58 has mastered them without any evident problems.
Kato #4s can have issues with older stock. There are quite a few articles about it on the web and on this forum. Here is one with photos
Interesting, thanks. So far I haven't found that a problem, though most of my stock is Japanese (mix of Tomix and Kato), and I've been reliably running stuff very fast both ways over points for the sheer fascination of it. Anyway good to be aware, especially as I've got a bunch of European stock to take home.

Claude Dreyfus

I always thought the older stuff - i.e. Farish Poole offerings, with the slightly coarser wheels - had trouble over the Kato points (I seem to recall someone saying the 8F was a particularly bad offender).

Claude Dreyfus

For me, it is the usual plaintive cry for any road vehicles newer than those that were on the road when your parents were learning to drive. Tomytec are fine - and perfect for me - but you don't get so many Nissan ADs or Toyota Crowns here (both as common as rats in Japan).

Ready-to-run on-track plant would not go amiss, although yet again Japan to the rescue with the Greenmax tie-tamper due around Christmas-time.

A range of decent modern urban structures would be good - supermarkets, office blocks etc.

With my Japanese hat on, I'd love to see the HD300

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JR_Freight_Class_HD300

World Craft announced, then subsequently killed, there offering; here's to one of the 'Big Three' taking the plunge - more a case of when not if, as there is a limited prototype base for modenr Japanese diesels.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on October 29, 2014, 01:54:47 PM
I always thought the older stuff - i.e. Farish Poole offerings, with the slightly coarser wheels - had trouble over the Kato points (I seem to recall someone saying the 8F was a particularly bad offender).

Out of the box they don't like NEM profile wheels (the big chunky ones) at some back to backs. Fiddling with the axles or adding a groove into the point rails cures it. That mostly affects very old stock (Poole Farish) but also for some reason early Dapol 66s and a few other oddments like the first batch of Hymeks that Dapol released with ridiculous wheels (fixed in later batches) and the Tesco container flats.

The early Dapol 66 wheels have problems on a few other points too sometimes and from looking at them I suspect there isn't enough coning on the wheel.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Pengi

I agree regarding the modern vehicles and this highlights another issue - which N scale :worried: The scale difference between 1:148 and 1:160 seems more noticeable with vehicles :(

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

EssexN

The Cuckoo

Quote from: kirky on October 25, 2014, 05:35:57 PM
A 185, and then the northern part of the English section of the ECML is essentially complete.

Cheers
Kirky

Also a 185 for me, it would fill the modern transpennine gap.

CarriageShed

Quote from: Dorsetmike on October 24, 2014, 05:00:58 PM
Southern steamers in Maunsell livery, Arthurs, Nelsons, H15, S15, Q, ex LSWR T14, D15, S11, L12, K10, L11, T6 or X6, G6, O2, T1, B4.

To go with them ex LSWR coaches, panelled and Ironclads, and Maunsell coaches for West of Englqand services. Nothing post 1938.

Yes to all of that, although my slightly elastic cut-off date is 1930.

Actually Etched Pixels offer a pretty good range of Ironclads that's still growing (although I haven't tested them yet), and it does seem possible to upgrade the old Farish suburbans to a decent LSWR likeness. I have all the bits for this but not the time until after Christmas.

Quote from: keithfre on October 24, 2014, 05:30:27 PM
Adams Radial tank engine.

Yes please!

Quote from: 4x2 on October 29, 2014, 12:32:14 AM
Yep - S&D 7F  ;)

And another big yes please there. I know the old kit version has been re-released but that's a bit above my skills level at the moment.

Let's face it, if it's pre-thirties and from the south and west of England then I'm easy.

mr bachmann

a RTR Gresley triple restaurant set ( :no: thought not )

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations