Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe cassidy

I'm happy because I found the bogie retaining screw from my Dapol Schools loco that I lost a few weeks ago.

I used a fridge magnet as a "fishing rod", pushing it around the track over the "4 foot".

It worked a treat - only took a few seconds to"hook" the screw.

Best regards,

Joe

joe cassidy

This afternoon the local council replaced my central heating boiler.

That makes 2 happy events in one day !

grumbeast

Quote from: joe cassidy on December 13, 2018, 11:55:03 AM
I'm happy because I found the bogie retaining screw from my Dapol Schools loco that I lost a few weeks ago.

I used a fridge magnet as a "fishing rod", pushing it around the track over the "4 foot".

It worked a treat - only took a few seconds to"hook" the screw.

Best regards,

Joe

Genius idea Joe, will have to remember that!

railsquid

So, I had a day off today, which I would have liked to have used to do layouty things but instead spent on some hideously obscure self-training for job-related purposes (not mandated, and the content is not employer-specific and serves to improve my general employability), anyway so being an itinerant IT worker kind of cephalopod, I recently discovered a fast food establishment with free electricity (very important for us itinerant IT workers) had opened on the platform of a station not so far away on the outer loop line which is used by freight trains to bypass Tokyo, and believe me there are worse ways of spending one's day [1], anyway I happened to look up as something noisy rumbled past pulling some container wagons, and lo-and-behold it was the very distinctive form of an EF66-0 series, which is the classic late 1960's Japanese electric locomotive design, and this was one of the very small number (IIRC 2) of remaining examples and I never thought I'd see one in normal service again. So, with no further ado I got the next passenger train following it, in the vague hope of being able to pursue it, and by some miracle it was actually stopped at the next container yard along the line, and even managed to get a couple of photos (albeit only with my mobile phone camera) [2]

[1] in the windowless datacentre housing much of Japan's finance industry for example

[2] an EF66 on my layout, you get the impression:

daveg

Got my GF Deltic DP1 (372-920) running after spending far too long in its box!   :D

Must be 5 years since it was last run so delighted after a quick wheel clean, the beast is running very nicely.

Now what shall I have it hauling? A rake of teaks perhaps?

Dave G

Jerry Howlett

Try again,

6 years ago I had the Blue Pullman on pre order for £230 then things went to the toilet at cassa Howlett financially wise.  New car major work on house etc.  So no Blue thing.  However I had forgotten that it was on my Hattons wish list.  Got an email from them on Tuesday that they had one in their "used items" so seeing this deciding that Mrs "H" won't rip them off so near to Christmas I purchased it for £250.  Its arrived and its the boxed set with people menus etc and the Unit has NEVER been out of its boxes.  Result!!!    Have decided to wait until I have completed some work on the new layout before playing with it.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Newportnobby

That's not a bad price at all, Jerry. Make sure you post a vid of it for @Bealman  when you run it ;)

Malc

Quote from: daveg on December 17, 2018, 01:43:31 PM
Got my GF Deltic DP1 (372-920) running after spending far too long in its box!   :D

Must be 5 years since it was last run so delighted after a quick wheel clean, the beast is running very nicely.

Dave G

I run mine pulling a rake of Maroon mk1 coaches, mainly because that's what I remember seeing.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bealman

Yes, most pictures I've seen of DP1 have maroon stock.

And Jerry, a video please, most definitely!!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Dave G

:D
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e02ur62i8fbjm56/DP1%20on%20Kimbolted.MOV?dl=0

railsquid

Quote from: Malc on December 17, 2018, 03:55:06 PM

Dave G

I run mine behind a rake of Maroon mk1 coaches, mainly because that's what I remember seeing.

Shouldn't you be running it in front of the rake?  :angel:

Bealman

Little known fact....

DP1 was fitted for push-pull working  :D

daveg

Yes, George, and mine works in both directions as well!

Nice clip, Mick.  :thumbsup: Think that looks a lot nicer than maroons of which I must confess, I have far too many.

I have a rake of Staniers in Crimson & Cream, I'll give those a run out.

Dave G

Bealman

They will look great.

Question.... is the Farish model discontinued?

I'd love a new one!  :hmmm:

TrevL

Quote from: Bealman on December 18, 2018, 07:32:12 AM
They will look great.

Question.... is the Farish model discontinued?

I'd love a new one!  :hmmm:

It's on pre-order at Rails of Sheffield
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations